Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

TK ex Cairo to Asia sub £1000.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2018, 2:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold

Available via TK web site and showing on ITA matrix. Sub £1000 return CAI to DPS including new 787 non stop IST DPS.

Stopovers permitted and ability to route via KUL SIN CGK for a little more money.

seat selection on the IST DPS not yet available and some risk that route start up might be delayed but the fare is attractive.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by binman

Available via TK web site and showing on ITA matrix. Sub £1000 return CAI to DPS including new 787 non stop IST DPS.

Stopovers permitted and ability to route via KUL SIN CGK for a little more money.

seat selection on the IST DPS not yet available and some risk that route start up might be delayed but the fare is attractive.

Perhaps best to point out the direct IST DPS service doesn't start until mid-July 2019 when it's Su Wed Fri from Istanbul, going daily from second week of August.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 2:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Perhaps best to point out the direct IST DPS service doesn't start until mid-July 2019 when it's Su Wed Fri from Istanbul, going daily from second week of August.
quite correct and my post was not clear that DPS is just one destination. Other Asian destinations currently served by TK also available at sub £1000.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 2:43 am

Programs: Plenty
Thanks binman, this opens quite a few possibilities........
open jaw also possible, even double open jaw
checked with Alexandria and Hurghada so far and it seems to be working.......
Didn‘t find any - non c3 - destination for the return yet ��
Old Nov 3, 2018, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
As always, the costs of positioning to CAI can outweigh the cost savings.

Has the Egyptian pound cratered again? Or is it merely TK trying to sell some tickets...
Old Nov 3, 2018, 5:43 am

I would be concerned about checked baggs transitng at IST. It may get lost due to the recent opening of the new airport. Many had this experience at KUL when it was first opened.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by craigthemif

Has the Egyptian pound cratered again? Or is it merely TK trying to sell some tickets...
I agree, omg, it was a hassle. They gave us a hard time and made it seem like a big chore as we wanted to stay in transit. The man who went to get our luggage wanted a baksheesh. I am going think twice before booking flights ex CAI.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No - this is the routine price for TK SE Asia flights ex-Cairo, though the DPS tickets are around $100 cheaper than we usually get CGK.

Jakarta's always there, usually Bangkok, the others come and go. Quite a number of carriers compete quite aggressively in the Cairo market. Qatar used to be one of the best. That's coupled with historically low Cairo fares. It's not so long ago that Lufthansa to Jakarta, Bangkok and Saigon in first-class was the mainstay of Miles and More status for a number of Senators and Hons.

In a way TK's a ring-fenced fare, because Cairo is generally an expensive and awkward place to position to. Schedules are difficult to pair up with TK's without risk or long airport dwell times: so sensibly it's a visa and a hotel night on top of fares of £300+ from most of Europe. Coming back I guess you could jump out of the journey in Istanbul and get home (more cheaply than from Cairo) from there.

I'm fortunate in being in Cairo for part of the year. I can't see much joy in these fares for people who aren't; unless they have time on their hands and perhaps plenty airmiles for positioning tickets, or want to combine Egypt with a trip to Indonesia.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
I agree, omg, it was a hassle. They gave us a hard time and made it seem like a big chore as we wanted to stay in transit. The man who went to get our luggage wanted a baksheesh. I am going think twice before booking flights ex CAI.
To be fair, I don't think there are many airports where you could expect to transfer seamlessly with luggage, while connecting on separate tickets. Whether you want to stay in transit or not, someone's usually got to pick up the bags and check them in again; and that someone is the passenger.

At Cairo that bit of work involves paying $25 for a visa to enter the country. So if you find someone who'll do it for you, you might want to show appreciation with a tip.
sushimaru likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
No - this is the routine price for TK SE Asia flights ex-Cairo, though the DPS tickets are around $100 cheaper than we usually get CGK.

Jakarta's always there, usually Bangkok, the others come and go. Quite a number of carriers compete quite aggressively in the Cairo market. Qatar used to be one of the best. That's coupled with historically low Cairo fares. It's not so long ago that Lufthansa to Jakarta, Bangkok and Saigon in first-class was the mainstay of Miles and More status for a number of Senators and Hons.

In a way TK's a ring-fenced fare, because Cairo is generally an expensive and awkward place to position to. Schedules are difficult to pair up with TK's without risk or long airport dwell times: so sensibly it's a visa and a hotel night on top of fares of £300+ from most of Europe. Coming back I guess you could jump out of the journey in Istanbul and get home (more cheaply than from Cairo) from there.

I'm fortunate in being in Cairo for part of the year. I can't see much joy in these fares for people who aren't; unless they have time on their hands and perhaps plenty airmiles for positioning tickets, or want to combine Egypt with a trip to Indonesia.
Considering we can find sometimes find London or Western Europe to SE Asia for £1100-1200 on TK, it would require a familiarity and proximity to CAI to make it really worthwhile.

P.S. The one and only time I did ex-CAI I did indeed skip the final leg in IST...
Old Nov 3, 2018, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

I paid £936 each for my flights and the lowest I have ever had was QR around £850 around 4 years ago ex AMS. The last fare ex EU recently was CX at £1500 and at the moment the lowest I have found was BA ex FCO for £1700, so for a family of 4 this is a substantial saving. As it happens I am in Jordan in April and rather than coming home directly am routing via Cairo with a night stop and a further night in IST. Hassle yes, but its part of the holiday and will see different places. Then in August the trip to DPS should be relatively easy and quick!

I did CAI HNL this year with long stopovers and the ability to stop does make these fares very attractive, but I accept not for everyone.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Considering we can find sometimes find London or Western Europe to SE Asia for £1100-1200 on TK, it would require a familiarity and proximity to CAI to make it really worthwhile.

P.S. The one and only time I did ex-CAI I did indeed skip the final leg in IST...
That's precisely what did, skipped the final segment from IST to CAI and booked a separate ticket from IST to CPH.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
CAI is not a hassle as long as you don't try to transit. Just pay the $25 visa fee and enter the country. Last month, it took me only 19 minutes to get from my BA arrival gate to the AZ departures counter... 19 minutes to walk to customs, buy the visa, enter the country, walk across the street to the departures wing, baggage screen to enter the departures concourse, walk to the AZ counter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.