Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

VA: SYD to NYC in J. AUD$5075

Old Oct 30, 18, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!

Sorry, forgot to put return in the headline.

To me this seems a good deal. Am I missing anything, like economy part of the way.

I saw it here

https://www.firstclass.com.au/airfar...ss-to-usa/5181
Old Oct 30, 18, 9:08 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k, AA Plat
I wouldn't trust them as they look like at best a consolidator and at worst a mileage broker.

If I really had to fly to NYC from down under, I'd reposition to Jakarta and buy TK CGK-IST-JFK which is going for A$3,199 currently.
Old Oct 30, 18, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Unionruler View Post
I wouldn't trust them as they look like at best a consolidator and at worst a mileage broker.

If I really had to fly to NYC from down under, I'd reposition to Jakarta and buy TK CGK-IST-JFK which is going for A$3,199 currently.

I don't use that website to book. I use it to get good fares then get my travel agent to match them. (which they do).

Thanks for the info. It seems like a long way to go to save a bit though. What is Turkish Airlines business class like. I'm not a fan of Jakarta after being threatened in transit with a huge fine after I lost some bit of paperwork! Amazing price from CGK to JFK
BSBtraveller likes this.
Old Oct 30, 18, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I did a few sample fares and got over AUD$8000 BUT it says due to availability it was economy from LAX to NYC and NYC to LAX. Ummmm, no.
Old Oct 30, 18, 10:16 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Annalisa12 View Post
I don't use that website to book. I use it to get good fares then get my travel agent to match them. (which they do).

Thanks for the info. It seems like a long way to go to save a bit though. What is Turkish Airlines business class like. I'm not a fan of Jakarta after being threatened in transit with a huge fine after I lost some bit of paperwork! Amazing price from CGK to JFK
+
Possibly the best food, consistently better than SQ and QR
Good lounge in IST, not sure if one can book it many months off and hope to experience the New Istanbul Airport lounge
Free transit hotel if truly on a minimum connection >7 hours-- check the T&Cs closely

-
2-2-2 hard product is behind the times
At IST, current airport has a terrible layout with long walks to gates, and also a slight terrorism risk

CGK also involves a lot of walking to transit. I guess the willingness to reposition for premium fare deals varies from person to person.
Old Oct 30, 18, 10:29 pm

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Qantas is 5,500 AUD each if there's two of you, not much more than the usual QF award-surcharges.
1-week companion sale thru 7 Nov
Old Oct 30, 18, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by harryhv View Post
Qantas is 5,500 AUD each if there's two of you, not much more than the usual QF award-surcharges.
1-week companion sale thru 7 Nov
Thanks for that. I didn't see that in my searches and yes there are two of us.

I'm really about hard product. I don't care about booze, food, fawning flight attendants (just nice will do). I want to be comfy and just keep to myself for 14 hours. Thanks for the update on TK.
Old Oct 31, 18, 3:11 am

Programs: Qatar Platinum/United 1K/Air France Platinum/Hilton Lifetime Diamond/IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Unionruler View Post
+
Possibly the best food, consistently better than SQ and QR
Good lounge in IST, not sure if one can book it many months off and hope to experience the New Istanbul Airport lounge
Free transit hotel if truly on a minimum connection >7 hours-- check the T&Cs closely

-
2-2-2 hard product is behind the times
At IST, current airport has a terrible layout with long walks to gates, and also a slight terrorism risk

CGK also involves a lot of walking to transit. I guess the willingness to reposition for premium fare deals varies from person to person.
I don't understand what all the fuss is about with that IST TK Lounge. For me, it's a complete and utter mess. It's old and dirty and oh so crowded. Man does it get crowded. But I guess it's days are numbered with the new airport coming online. Either way, as I said, I never saw what all the fuss was about.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: