Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

Kenya Airways : $2,048 RT Bangkok to New York Business

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2018, 12:21 am
Used to be highman123
Original Poster

- almost 25k miles flown
- likely books into I which earns up to 150%
- fully refundable
- new 787 with lie-flat all the way

https://www.kayak.com/flights/DMK,ne...t=bestflight_a
Old Oct 20, 2018, 1:09 am

Programs: Velocity Platinum, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Etihad Gold
Gone ?
Old Oct 20, 2018, 1:14 am
Used to be highman123
Original Poster

Still there on cheapoair.com (only OTA who had it) but kayak does not show it anymore.

Old Oct 20, 2018, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I wonder how many XPs that would yield in the Flying Blue program. These must be the most long distance flights in their table, which could be 36 per sector. But the ticket is somewhat impractical for booking from where I am. And can you imagine the security paranoia and grilling you would get for taking such a routing to the US?
Old Oct 20, 2018, 9:28 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Diamond Club
Originally Posted by Concerto
These must be the most long distance flights in their table, which could be 36 per sector.
The CAN route, longer than BKK (30XPs), would give you 36 XPs.
A CAN-JFK rt costs €1783 with sample dates in December whereas a JFK-CAN rt is €1950 only!

Last edited by flying_blue_white_red; Oct 20, 2018 at 9:39 am Reason: including fares for CAN-JFK&JFK-CAN
Old Oct 20, 2018, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You've got to figure the whole visa thing out with Canton, the TWOV Transit WithOut a Visa thing and so on. If you're coming from Hong Kong, then that could be fairly easily dealt with, but I am not sure there are masses of flights between HKG and CAN.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 8:50 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
And can you imagine the security paranoia and grilling you would get for taking such a routing to the US?
Not sure why there would be much grilling or paranoia to be honest.......
Goaguy likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 9:34 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
I checked KQ's website, you can get JFK-CAN in J for $2261 ai during June/July, not bad either for the distance flown.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 3:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mcgahat
Not sure why there would be much grilling or paranoia to be honest.......
Where have you been living .... or sleeping?? Entering the United States has become a slightly scary experience, so much so that I pay attention to the origins and return destinations of my flights, having been grilled several times in the past. No explanation was ever given from these hired hoods, but each time I had an odd itinerary touching countries like Turkey or Morocco.

You are probably right, a ticket from Bangkok via Nairobi probably won’t bring the spooks out. But visiting the United States is not what it was, I think that is unquestionable. And it becomes a major real factor when I consider the deals on this forum. I say this as a Brit.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 9:08 am

Where have you been living .... or sleeping?? Entering the United States has become a slightly scary experience, so much so that I pay attention to the origins and return destinations of my flights, having been grilled several times in the past. No explanation was ever given from these hired hoods, but each time I had an odd itinerary touching countries like Turkey or Morocco.

You are probably right, a ticket from Bangkok via Nairobi probably won’t bring the spooks out. But visiting the United States is not what it was, I think that is unquestionable. And it becomes a major real factor when I consider the deals on this forum. I say this as a Brit.
Even as an US citizen you'll be under as much scrutiny, if not more. That's why I passed up a few really good J deals TK had out of ATL to Europe for only $1200 USD last year (as well as crazy J deals from CAI to JFK from MS and KU), it's just not worth it.
STBCypriot likes this.

Last edited by vincewy; Oct 21, 2018 at 2:43 pm
Old Oct 21, 2018, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That’s so true, I’ve read horror stories about that. I think it’s worth taking a bit of time and being careful about one’s choice of routings and destinations. But to support the comment of mcgahat above, there shouldn’t be too much of a problem on this routing. And in theory, there shouldn’t be too much of a problem if you’re above board and have nothing to hide! Just being positive!
Old Oct 21, 2018, 12:50 pm

When KQ announced new service to the US back in January, there was a great same day return deal from ADD for both inaugural flights (due to the longish 5h layover at JFK). Guys on another forum strongly advised against it as I would be coming for the first visit to the US for a short "stay". That fact would raise a flag even for a visa waiver country passport holder using the kiosk and avoiding CBP staff (who would be very skeptical of the itinerary from Kenya and Africa). Maybe another time!

Anyway 144 XPs plus 31891 miles (assuming it books into Z) represent a fantastic deal from NYC ($2261) and even better from China (~$1950) for those who can grab it

Last edited by flying_blue_white_red; Oct 21, 2018 at 1:03 pm
Old Oct 25, 2018, 2:24 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Platinum, HH Gold
Thinking of booking this as am doing a status challenge with Delta...anyone know about transit visas in Kenya? I read somewhere that the airline requires folks to claim luggage, meaning one has to go through immigration, on layovers longer than 12 hours. This fare is incredible, but I'm not interested in it if it means having to get a visa (and also a Yellow Fever vaccine in order to get back in to Thailand)...
Old Oct 25, 2018, 7:44 am

I was thinking about doing Kenya stopover (on my way to Asia) with the deal but the fare jumps up by $1000 so this is no go.

You can get visa online here, that means getting 2 visas ($53 each) for both directions for just connecting.

https://www.kenyaonlinevisa.org/application

However the biggest issue will be the financial state of KQ which has been losing money for some time, I'd not be surprised if this route gets pulled within a year (or even sooner), personally I'd only book it within next month or 2.
ralph4878 likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by ralph4878
Thinking of booking this as am doing a status challenge with Delta...anyone know about transit visas in Kenya? I read somewhere that the airline requires folks to claim luggage, meaning one has to go through immigration, on layovers longer than 12 hours. This fare is incredible, but I'm not interested in it if it means having to get a visa (and also a Yellow Fever vaccine in order to get back in to Thailand)...
- International to international airside transfer: no transit visa & luggage will go through to your next flight.
- International to international landside transfer: transit visa required (if less than 72h).
- International to domestic transfer (even on same PNR/Skyteam airlines): visa required and luggage must be collected.
- Domestic to international (Skyteam/same PNR): luggage will be automatically transfered on to your next flight.
- Domestic to international on different PNR/airlines: luggage must be collected and rechecked.

You should rather use the official website here (where a transit visa is cheaper as it costs only $21 including $1 fee per passenger ):
evisa.go.ke | Republic of Kenya Electronic Visa System
or
evisa.go.ke | Republic of Kenya Electronic Visa System
ralph4878 likes this.

Last edited by flying_blue_white_red; Oct 25, 2018 at 9:32 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.