Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

DL/CZ - JFK->SIN PE | SkyMiles MQD/MQM Run - 1000-1200US

Old Sep 3, 18, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold

Found this while looking for a DL metal mileage run. It's not an amazing price but you net right at ~20K MQMs. The bigger deal for those
that have the miles but short on MQDs the JFK-CAN-JFK portions is 20% MQDs based on distance flown. ~16,000 miles flown will net
about 3200 MQDs plus the shorter flights CAN-SIN-CAN. You can do this with same day turn or stay up to a few days(Or longer).

Available pretty much anytime from now until end of year. Flights have decent connection times ~3hr in CAN. Good lounges there
with PP and if you are hunting Delta status might have STE+ and get access to SkyTeam lounges anyways. Long flight is their new PE
hard product on fresh 777-300ER. The other 2 flights are A319/320.

Easy to find on Google Flights right now.
Old Sep 3, 18, 12:14 pm

Programs: DL ✈️
MQM is 17641 total, not 22k
The economy flight on can-sin only earns 50%
MQD is $3527
SkyMiles from 17641 (base) up to 38810 (diamond)
Old Sep 3, 18, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by tomasdev View Post
MQM is 17641 total, not 22k
The economy flight on can-sin only earns 50%
MQD is $3527
SkyMiles from 17641 (base) up to 38810 (diamond)
Thank you or exact numbers. I said about 20K. I didn't bother doing exact math but knew the short haul was only 50% MQM.

As Diamond will net 40K RDMs though and the 3500 MQD for 1100 spent(for me at time of booking). Which was the goal for me
and figured worth a share for someone with the MQMs and need for MQDs.
Old Sep 3, 18, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA1K
Just out of curiosity since I'm not knowledgeable about this, are mileage runs still viable? I thought that the miles/dollar setup that all US carriers have transitioned to has no longer made it possible to fly a net positive return trip? What are the circumstances where you'd want to do a mileage run? Thanks for the guidance.
Old Sep 3, 18, 3:25 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: Delta DM, Hilton Diamond
CPM can work out fairly low, I was just looking at NYC-SIN on CE, priced out about 2.5CPM. That's worth it to me, I'm always MQM light at the end of the year. Downside, it's Econ so not the best ride, but I've done it and survived.

Saw a pretty good PE ride DTW-SIN on DL metal for about $1200, that'd be on the A350. Gotta be careful not to pay for PE on the 777/767/330 though, that's just C+ and not worth the additional cost over Econ. Searching for these PE rides as I type.
Old Sep 3, 18, 4:05 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Silver
This applies only to US-based carriers...not sure of the rules for non-US carriers when it comes to status.

IMHO, mileage runs are good ONLY in premium cabins for LONG trips AND ONLY on partners, where the EQDs are calculated on distance flown vs. $$ paid. Long means US to SE Asia and such. A single trip halfway around the world can net you elite status if you use a partner as opposed to US metal.

A couple months ago, we flew JFK-CAN-SIN in CZ J ($2k ticket) and netted almost enough EQMs for silver elite and somewhere around $4500 EQDs. Last year flew J IAH - DOH - SIN on a cheap $1700 fare on Qatar and that alone netted me enough miles for Silver on AA (went away because never fly AA), but almost $4500 EQDs because of distance and fare class. Each of the past two years we spent between $1700 and $2k on the flights, but due to the distance, netted over $4500 EQDs. If you do a lot of domestic travel and fall short on EQDs because you are on cheap fares, the runs are good as they net a bunch of EQDs.
GTITAN likes this.
Old Sep 3, 18, 9:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by divrdrew View Post
This applies only to US-based carriers...not sure of the rules for non-US carriers when it comes to status.

IMHO, mileage runs are good ONLY in premium cabins for LONG trips AND ONLY on partners, where the EQDs are calculated on distance flown vs. $$ paid. Long means US to SE Asia and such. A single trip halfway around the world can net you elite status if you use a partner as opposed to US metal.

A couple months ago, we flew JFK-CAN-SIN in CZ J ($2k ticket) and netted almost enough EQMs for silver elite and somewhere around $4500 EQDs. Last year flew J IAH - DOH - SIN on a cheap $1700 fare on Qatar and that alone netted me enough miles for Silver on AA (went away because never fly AA), but almost $4500 EQDs because of distance and fare class. Each of the past two years we spent between $1700 and $2k on the flights, but due to the distance, netted over $4500 EQDs. If you do a lot of domestic travel and fall short on EQDs because you are on cheap fares, the runs are good as they net a bunch of EQDs.
This is the game right here.

If you just need MQMs you can do stuff like a 650 dollar ticket LAX-ATL-NRT-SIN and back on DL. Neds 25K MQMs but almost nothing MQDs. Partner airline listed here in this thread will get 18K MQM as said above by another poster and 3500K MQDs credited to Delta. Plus 40K RDMs. If you need MQMs and MQDs it is worth it IMO.
tazxxx and GTITAN like this.
Old Sep 5, 18, 10:32 am

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion& 2 MillionMiler; Marriott Platinum
Looks like you're also in Economy (regular) from China over to SIN and back to China. Ugh.
Old Sep 5, 18, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ATLConsultant View Post
Looks like you're also in Economy (regular) from China over to SIN and back to China. Ugh.
Correct. That shouldn’t be too bad overall.
Old Sep 7, 18, 2:51 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriot Plat
Originally Posted by cardinalo View Post
Just out of curiosity since I'm not knowledgeable about this, are mileage runs still viable? I thought that the miles/dollar setup that all US carriers have transitioned to has no longer made it possible to fly a net positive return trip? What are the circumstances where you'd want to do a mileage run? Thanks for the guidance.
If you wanted to uptier to silver, gold, plat or even Diamond, have the MDQ, but are short on MQM you would want to do a mileage run.
Old Sep 7, 18, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by manually View Post
If you wanted to uptier to silver, gold, plat or even Diamond, have the MDQ, but are short on MQM you would want to do a mileage run.
Yes. If you have the MQD this kind of thing wouldn't be the best use. Can spend about 700 dollars with Delta and easily get 23-25K MQMs with a 6hr turn in Singapore. Never leave the airport.
Old Sep 13, 18, 1:14 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: DL Medallion
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl View Post
Yes. If you have the MQD this kind of thing wouldn't be the best use. Can spend about 700 dollars with Delta and easily get 23-25K MQMs with a 6hr turn in Singapore. Never leave the airport.
Agree with this. But, it's so tempting to leave the airport since SIN is an awesome city to explore.
Old Sep 14, 18, 10:31 am

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion& 2 MillionMiler; Marriott Platinum
I'm done chasing Diamond status. Been Diamond for the last 7 years but with their new spend requirement on the Reserve card, it is just way too hard. I'm not gonna spend the MQDs just for a lot of domestic first class upgrades. Not worth it, IMO. I guess i'll just be Platinum with s-load of other former Diamonds. Haha!

ATL
Old Sep 14, 18, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dcadwell View Post
Agree with this. But, it's so tempting to leave the airport since SIN is an awesome city to explore.
Yes. I have like 40 hours this tie with what I setup.

Originally Posted by ATLConsultant View Post
I'm done chasing Diamond status. Been Diamond for the last 7 years but with their new spend requirement on the Reserve card, it is just way too hard. I'm not gonna spend the MQDs just for a lot of domestic first class upgrades. Not worth it, IMO. I guess i'll just be Platinum with s-load of other former Diamonds. Haha!

ATL
And you are in ATL? More upgrades for me! hah

Thanks you!