Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

Oneworld: UL: DXB-CGK in J, $800 R/T

Oneworld: UL: DXB-CGK in J, $800 R/T

Old May 17, 2019, 6:14 am

Programs: BAEC
Just in case it's useful to anybody wondering where to stay....

After a lot of indecision, and comparing various Airbnb options, I went for the Doubletree Jakarta Diponegoro, It was selling for about Ł50/night (or 20,000 points), which was about double what Airbnb places were, but with Diamond guaranteed Exec Lounge access and free breakfast, I thought it was just about worth it.

It was 175,000Rp from the airport in a bluebird cab. There is a bluebird taxi rank on site, and while I took the advice from others here and downloaded Grab and GoJek, I broke my phone on my first day here and so no apps. The hotel is lovely, with a great pool, and it's very chilled out. The Exec lounge has happy hour between 5.30pm and 7.30pm with limited snacks (think tiny tiny tapas dishes) and one red and white wine, a couple of beers, and some closely guarded spirits. They clear everything away at 7.30pm sharp. Soft drinks are available throughout the day, and they claim there is afternoon tea but it's limited to a couple of tired croissants.

I'm glad I stayed here - the staff are great. The wifi is good enough to catch up with email and work tasks while sitting around the pool (which really is huge). I don't think I would come back to Jakarta but it's been a fun experience. So thanks all for flagging up the TP opportunity. It was an absolute bargain.
Old May 17, 2019, 6:21 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
For a slightly more authentic Jakarta experience, next time you could take the ARS to Duri then the Loop line to Cikini... total INR73,000 and more than comfortable
our_kid and Last20 like this.
Old May 17, 2019, 6:32 am

Programs: BA exec, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
The other thing that might be helpful for the UL back-to-back hopefuls is getting their passports E-gate friendly. You can do it entering the country if you ask, and you fit the profile; or there's a desk somewhere landside (I think on the Etihad side) where they'll take care of this.
That's reminded to ask if my DXB E-gate enabled passport (UK) is acceptable for E-gate at AUH?
Old May 17, 2019, 8:56 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Fitch
For a slightly more authentic Jakarta experience, next time you could take the ARS to Duri then the Loop line to Cikini... total INR73,000 and more than comfortable
Thanks Fitch, I did see the adverts for the airport-city train but - and I know this sounds weird - I have such a hopeless sense of direction I like to plan things in advance. So I hope your post helps future TP-runners plan good transfer routes. Having seen what you have all been talking about in terms of the unbelievable traffic jams. I would definitely take that route next time.
Old May 17, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA LTG/GFL, Honors Diamond, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Silver
Originally Posted by Telecasterman
That's reminded to ask if my DXB E-gate enabled passport (UK) is acceptable for E-gate at AUH?
Not in my experience - as of may 2019, they’re not linked. Your passport needs to be enabled in DXB arrivals or DXB T3 departures, for DXB and separately in AUH arrivals for AUH.
Old May 17, 2019, 12:47 pm

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Last20
Thanks Fitch, I did see the adverts for the airport-city train but - and I know this sounds weird - I have such a hopeless sense of direction I like to plan things in advance. So I hope your post helps future TP-runners plan good transfer routes. Having seen what you have all been talking about in terms of the unbelievable traffic jams. I would definitely take that route next time.
Though I would point out that the commuter services in Jakarta are incredibly slow

Mind you, IDR3k is about 16p so you can't really complain and you rarely step off the train without having made a new friend
Old May 17, 2019, 12:55 pm

Programs: BA exec, HHonors Diamond
For Info if you are gonna be in Jakarta 22/may (me) My friends there have pointed out the election and potential (results 22/5) disruption - https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/indonesia
T
Old May 17, 2019, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
It's not.
Old May 17, 2019, 7:07 pm

Programs: Alaska

It’s IDR for Indonesian Rupiah. INR is Indian Rupee.

Old May 17, 2019, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Last20
Just in case it's useful to anybody wondering where to stay....

After a lot of indecision, and comparing various Airbnb options, I went for the Doubletree Jakarta Diponegoro

I'm glad I stayed here - the staff are great. The wifi is good enough to catch up with email and work tasks while sitting around the pool (which really is huge).
The Doubletree is the best value choice of the international brands in Jakarta. There are far ritzier places, and better located hotels, but the DT offers solid value and not too inconvenient position. It's the hotel I always recommend to visitors. Just two lifts serving 18(?) floors and something like 250 rooms is a frustrating feature, but the rest is fine.

The new Intercontinental is a step up in prices, but it's a lovely hotel in South Jakarta, with a gorgeous club lounge, above the smart Pondok Indah malls. For a couple of nights between UL flights it's as well located as a city hotel can be for airport taxis. For a single night I'd go for one of the many places in the immediate vicinity of the airport, or somewhere like the AllSeasons or Holiday Inn Express within a five minute walk of the Airport Express station (BNI City Station) - Plaza Indonesia and Grand Indonesia malls are very close, and there's an MRT station in from of the hotels if you want to go to Senayan or the chaos of Bloc M.

That's a cruel suggestion

The Loop trip would quickly have the hardiest of visitors fresh off the plane+airport express, in tears. Hidden, misplaced or non-existant station name indicators are the chief frustration for newbies on KRL Jabodetabek: though working out how to get ticketed must be the first problem.

Cikini station is bang in front of the Doubletree, but not on the Loop. It would, i think, take one more fun-filled change (at Manngarai ?) to get to it from Duri.

Perhaps the best (easiest) introduction to the commuter lines would be a day out in Bogor, available direct from Cikini.
Old May 17, 2019, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by onobond
Expecting the EL to be a lot better than the mediocre lounge offered at AUH.
UL shares its AUH contract lounge with a load of other carriers, but "mediocre" hardly seems accurate as a description. I've stayed at many Hiltons and I've yet to find one with a lounge that could match it in terms of

scale - a number or very different large seating areas, including a computer set-up with working printers (!);

comfort - it very rarely gets as crowded as the zoo most Hilton lounges become in cocktail frenzy hour;

and the F&B offer - good, well-prepared food and a full bar.

Ramadan restrictions are in force, meaning the airport lounge bar will open an hour after the notional meghreb/iftar timing, so 8pm. Not sure how the Abu Dhabi hotels handle this.

I'm sure I'll be surprised and delighted by a Hilton lounge one day. Fingers crossed. One or two have come close: but the last one, at Hilton's Bali resort was the pits!
Old May 18, 2019, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rjn21

Not in my experience - as of may 2019, they’re not linked. Your passport needs to be enabled in DXB arrivals or DXB T3 departures, for DXB and separately in AUH arrivals for AUH.
^.

In my experience, the UAE authorities aren't particularly thrilled by relatively simple stuff such as arriving into AUH and departing from DXB. Always worth remembering that the UAE is a federation whose constituent emirates operate quite independently much of the time.
Old May 18, 2019, 10:55 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / TK e+
if anyone in SE Asia is looking to add more BA Tier points to this, CX have SGN-HKG-DXB pretty much wide open for just over 1k GBP
Old May 19, 2019, 3:00 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by craigthemif
^.

In my experience, the UAE authorities aren't particularly thrilled by relatively simple stuff such as arriving into AUH and departing from DXB. Always worth remembering that the UAE is a federation whose constituent emirates operate quite independently much of the time.
I’ve arrived into AUH and flown out of DXB many times without any issues, albeit that’s without an e-gate card.
Old May 19, 2019, 3:32 am

Can anyone advise if they used a J class lounge at CGK?

There is no information on the UL website and on the lounge finder section of the OneWorld website agreements for UL are not listed.

I just had a reply to my email to UL which stated they have no lounge agreement there?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.