Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

Oneworld: UL: DXB-CGK in J, $800 R/T

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oneworld: UL: DXB-CGK in J, $800 R/T

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2019, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by flyingnomad
The currently filed fare is indeed approx £660 (AED 3155), but with the ongoing 10% off promotion for 14-day advance bookings, it can be had for £618 (AED 2975) on the Sri Lankan website.

Originally Posted by flyingnomad

Originally Posted by onobond
November prices show lowest r/t AED 3165.

One step at a time...

Have you checked Sri Lankan’s website? I see tons of availability for AUH-CGK r/t in November for AED 2975.

Sample dates Nov 14 - Nov 20, or Nov 17 - 19 if you just want the minimum overnight stay.
Oh yes, but there is a slight increase of AED 10 before UL's early bird 10% promotion, meaning, of course, in reality a raise of AED 9, eqv. to £1.9. Not that tough raise, I agree
Old May 12, 2019, 5:19 am

Programs: BA Gold
Quick question - how long does it take for the tier points accrued from the AUH-CMB-CGK routing to appear in your BA Exectuive Club account? I'm doing this routing twice next week and was wondering how long the TPs might take to show once the flights have completed
Old May 12, 2019, 6:15 am

Programs: BAEC | qantas | IHG | Hilton Honors | Priority Pass | Nandos
Originally Posted by CharliesAngels
Quick question - how long does it take for the tier points accrued from the AUH-CMB-CGK routing to appear in your BA Exectuive Club account? I'm doing this routing twice next week and was wondering how long the TPs might take to show once the flights have completed
I can't guarantee the accuracy 100% without looking it up, but I think that the points get credited on Wednesdays. There's a cutoff though. For flights in one week up to Thursday (I think), you'll get the points the following Weds. From that Friday onwards, you get the points a week later. So, I had a UL flight on 1 March and got the points on 13 March, whereas a flight on 25 Feb was credited on 6 Mar.

Hope that makes sense - not sure it does to me!
Old May 12, 2019, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
This route is fast taking on the role of BA's defunct, intra-Gulf first-class shuttles for minting Golds!

I'm escaping the rigours of a UAE Ramadan for the slightly more relaxed regime in Indonesia next week.
I'll keep my eyes peeled for zombie double back-to-backers at AUH
jfkeze likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 12:57 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
This route is fast taking on the role of BA's defunct, intra-Gulf first-class shuttles for minting Golds!

I'm escaping the rigours of a UAE Ramadan for the slightly more relaxed regime in Indonesia next week.
I'll keep my eyes peeled for zombie double back-to-backers at AUH
CGK is the new HNL

That being said, for those of us who need to be in CGK for work, it's an extremely good value way to get there - and with a short connection at CMB, it's genuinely comfortable.

M
our_kid likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
CGK is the new HNL

That being said, for those of us who need to be in CGK for work, it's an extremely good value way to get there - and with a short connection at CMB, it's genuinely comfortable.

M
Well yes. UL (from UAE and occasionally from Doha) and TK (from Cairo) are my standby routes to Indonesia. I spend time in all those countries, so things usually work out quite well.

But even though there's comfort to be had on board, I find the Sri Lankan route taxing: TK is better, I think because it involves just one long-haul journey, and that overnight in both directions in a wide-body aircraft with beds.

A double back-to-back involving eight successive long(ish) haul flights on narrow-bodies seems gruelling: and also quite risky, particularly as Jakarta doesn't cope at all well with the violent rain storms it's heading for. I'll be there all next week, so fingers crossed ...
msm2000uk likes this.
Old May 14, 2019, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Already have a trip to Uzbekistan planned in August with positioning flights to the UAE, so taking advantage of that and stacking a run to CGK after the Uzbek trip. It's a convenient way to earn double EQDs toward EXP status for next year.
Old May 14, 2019, 12:30 pm

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Jakarta doesn't cope at all well with the violent rain storms it's heading for. I'll be there all next week, so fingers crossed ...
Looking forward to going back to Jakarta, just glad it's not for a few more weeks
msm2000uk likes this.
Old May 15, 2019, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I as a bit concerned about all the chat about credit cards and verification as I'm on a replacement card after a recent loss of the original.

But pleased to report I just internet checked-in from Dubai and got the usual straightforward full boarding cards, no "please present yourself at check-in".

I've dredged up some memories that might help some. First, AUH is much smaller and more friendly than you might expect. If you do need to check-in at AUH, don't queue at the nominated UL desks - there's a premium check-in area way over to the left of the bank of desks. It's run by Etihad, it's not their terminal but they should be able to handle UL. If you have boarding cards, use the short-cut to the far left of this area to get into the Etihad's premium security chanel.

If you are a public transport fan and have a hotel in town, use the A2 express bus: it's fast, comfortable and quite frequent. You'll need an electronic travel card, but there's a machine next to the transport/information desk in arrivals, another at the bus stop directly outside. Just ask for help if you have problems following the procedure. AED10 the card and put another AED10 on it - the fare should be a bit less than AED5 each way. Airport taxis run at getting on for AED100, the regular taxis (just across the road and a little further down from the airport black ones) are just a little bit cheaper.

Until the end of Ramadan the bus schedule will be a bit shot.
Old May 15, 2019, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Ouch, something I just posted seem to have been erased when posting

Quick report from AUH. Flight down with low occupancy in Club, we were only 5 in the mini-cabin (rows 6&7) with 14 seats. Immigration even swifter than at previous visit, 1 person before me in the priority lane.

Taxi touts tried to hook me up for a ride to Hilton Grand Capital for AED 180, but 15 m further down the hall, the regular taxi driver estimated the ride at AED 60-65, which was pretty accurate, as meter showed 62.50 when at the hotel.

Contrary to my previous excursion, I've only been able to PYOB the CMB-CGK segment, for AUH-CMB only a 'Confirmation' of my reservation, but (too) clearly marked in red "This is not a Boarding Pass". Will try to sort that out tomorrow with the AUH UL office.

Negotiating with the Front Desk associate, I got a late check-out at 6 pm, key card validated for lounge stay until 9 pm, covering the Happy Hour(s) of 6.30 to 8.30. Considering the tiny difference in room rates compared to the Airport Premier Inn, it certainly felt that money was well invested to have a taxi ride to the Hilton GC. I also got a Diamond upgrade to an Executive Suite. Expecting the EL to be a lot better than the mediocre lounge offered at AUH.
Old May 15, 2019, 5:54 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR; AB Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Just another information or tip for B2B at AUH:

If you havent done your CreditCard Check in advance you can do it at your first trip before the last leg CMB-AUH at the Transferdesk at CMB. They are not allowed to issue the boarding pass for your upcoming booking - or maybe Im not charming enough - but they can do Creditcard check (also for bookings 3days in advance) and Checking you in. After that just do your last leg CMB-AUH and go to transit. Since its the same aircraft you can head to your gate immediately after transfer security and ask to print your boarding pass there (because sometimes the Transfer Desk is very full at AUH)

Worked fine for me.
msm2000uk likes this.
Old May 16, 2019, 10:51 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by onobond
Ouch, something I just posted seem to have been erased when posting

Quick report from AUH. Flight down with low occupancy in Club, we were only 5 in the mini-cabin (rows 6&7) with 14 seats. Immigration even swifter than at previous visit, 1 person before me in the priority lane.

Taxi touts tried to hook me up for a ride to Hilton Grand Capital for AED 180, but 15 m further down the hall, the regular taxi driver estimated the ride at AED 60-65, which was pretty accurate, as meter showed 62.50 when at the hotel.

Contrary to my previous excursion, I've only been able to PYOB the CMB-CGK segment, for AUH-CMB only a 'Confirmation' of my reservation, but (too) clearly marked in red "This is not a Boarding Pass". Will try to sort that out tomorrow with the AUH UL office.

Negotiating with the Front Desk associate, I got a late check-out at 6 pm, key card validated for lounge stay until 9 pm, covering the Happy Hour(s) of 6.30 to 8.30. Considering the tiny difference in room rates compared to the Airport Premier Inn, it certainly felt that money was well invested to have a taxi ride to the Hilton GC. I also got a Diamond upgrade to an Executive Suite. Expecting the EL to be a lot better than the mediocre lounge offered at AUH.
The Hilton Grand Capital gets my vote too. A Diamond room upgrade, free breakfast, a 6pm check out and a "stay as long as you like" extension to the exec lounge. The lounge had great hot food, not just snacks. Although I must be easily pleased because I quite liked the food in the AUH lounge. They did great margaritas too.
Old May 16, 2019, 10:56 am

Programs: BAEC
I as a bit concerned about all the chat about credit cards and verification as I'm on a replacement card after a recent loss of the original.

But pleased to report I just internet checked-in from Dubai and got the usual straightforward full boarding cards, no "please present yourself at check-in".

I've dredged up some memories that might help some. First, AUH is much smaller and more friendly than you might expect. If you do need to check-in at AUH, don't queue at the nominated UL desks - there's a premium check-in area way over to the left of the bank of desks. It's run by Etihad, it's not their terminal but they should be able to handle UL. If you have boarding cards, use the short-cut to the far left of this area to get into the Etihad's premium security chanel.

If you are a public transport fan and have a hotel in town, use the A2 express bus: it's fast, comfortable and quite frequent. You'll need an electronic travel card, but there's a machine next to the transport/information desk in arrivals, another at the bus stop directly outside. Just ask for help if you have problems following the procedure. AED10 the card and put another AED10 on it - the fare should be a bit less than AED5 each way. Airport taxis run at getting on for AED100, the regular taxis (just across the road and a little further down from the airport black ones) are just a little bit cheaper.

Although I did get the "credit card verification required" message when I tried OLCI and was asked for it at the check in desk. So thanks to everybody here for raising it - while it does say on the e-ticket small print about needing to show the booking card, I wouldn't have read this, and wouldn't have brought that card if you guys hadn't have flagged it as a requirement. So thanks!
Old May 17, 2019, 12:26 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond

Agree that staff at the AUH premium check-in area are helpful and always pleased to welcome a UL J traveller however I was turned away the other week on a BA J ticket and sent to the adjacent BA check-in desks...

As for the bus there is also the A1 service which runs into Al Meena St then turns right at 5th St, stopping by the mosque behind Electra Park bsfore turning right again into Al Firdous St and terminating at the City Air Terminal - convenient for plenty of hotels in northern Corniche and Al Zahiya. The ride is comfortable and cheap but not the fastest, especially when the driver puls over to pray 🙄

I think it's prudent for me to remain silent on my opinion of Dubai, but I do love Abh Dhabi 😁
Old May 17, 2019, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fitch
Agree that staff at the AUH premium check-in area are helpful and always pleased to welcome a UL J traveller however I was turned away the other week on a BA J ticket and sent to the adjacent BA check-in desks...
I'm guessing that's more BA doing its own thing rather than the premium desk being awkard

The other thing that might be helpful for the UL back-to-back hopefuls is getting their passports E-gate friendly. You can do it entering the country if you ask, and you fit the profile; or there's a desk somewhere landside (I think on the Etihad side) where they'll take care of this.

As for the bus there is also the A1 service which runs into Al Meena St then turns right at 5th St, stopping by the mosque behind Electra Park bsfore turning right again into Al Firdous St and terminating at the City Air Terminal - convenient for plenty of hotels in northern Corniche and Al Zahiya.
It puzzles me that more visitors don't use public transport in, and between, Dubai and Abu Dhabi. Folk who wouldn't dream of taking a taxi between London and Birmingham seem happy to call limos to get between from Dubai and Abu Dhabi: while metro/Uber and the bus do the job for (relative) peanuts, in comfort with only a modest time penalty.

I'm guessing it's something to do with hotels and the tourism authorities doing nothing to promote public transport to visitors.

OK, AD (the city) isn't yet quite so well served by public transport as Dubai, but it's getting there.

I think it's prudent for me to remain silent on my opinion of Dubai, but I do love Abh Dhabi ��
I share those sentiments. I suppose most visitors attracted to Dubai would find Abu Dhabi rather dull. And i can't say I'm unhappy that remains the case. But the only Gulf state to capture my heart is Oman.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.