Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

Oneworld: UL: DXB-CGK in J, $800 R/T

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oneworld: UL: DXB-CGK in J, $800 R/T

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2019, 4:03 am

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
I just completed run 1 and about to start run 2.

At AUH

Hotel

In AUH I opted for the Ibis / Novotel at Abu Dhabi Gate and was around £40 with checkout till 2pm and a pool good for a nice relaxing day before the flight down to CMB. (£8 / 50 AED outside the airport, the is 3 cash machines just at the exit as the taxis dont take card)

AUH to CMB

Airport

The lounge at AUH is the Al Reem / Al Dabhi Lounge which is run by Plaza Premium and pretty good with a full bar and decent hot options but you will be turned away if you turn up more than 3 hours before departure (This shouldn't be a problem seeing as you can't do mobile boarding passes with UL at AUH (More on that later))

On Board

I took 2C on the first flight to see if I preferred it over Row 1 and I agree there is more leg room however the position did not make it very comfortable for me, (Maybe I am too tall who knows) but I ended up with 1A for the other flights

I got an amenity kit and an eye mask but it is hit and miss so I would bring your own

I made the mistake of ordering food on the first flight AUH - CMB not realising it was too short, wont be making that mistake again

CMB to CGK

At the Airport

Arrived at CMB which is quite a small airport and headed to the centre of the airport and headed right to the Serendib lounge (Near gates R1 to R5) which is in absolute sweat box, It makes Galleries First at T5 look like a Ice box! Food and drink options were good too.

A word of warning, CMB has security at the gate with no fast track and it is an absolute zoo so leave with plenty of time till you board, I was told the lounge would get you but they didn't in both my cases and I left at Final Call (This was a mistake lol)

On Board

Another great flight on UL, Drinks service was often and glasses were kept topped up too, Food was top notch The champagne is Piper but I stuck with Gin for this flight

Arrival at CGK

When you arrive at CGk it is a heck of a walk, Grab a buggy to immigration, It is free for anyone but do not tip as it is frowned upon here and when you get to Immigration just say Tourist and nothing about Tier Point runs or anything as they will think you are there for business just say tourist how long you staying and smile :-) ( I knew this already but wanted to highlight ) Whilst at the airport lift some money if you plan on using Grab and get change from the shop in the airport as the drivers never have change of the 100k notes

Hotel

Stayed at the Novotel in Tangerang, about 40 minutes from the airport taxi was £6 using Grab (pick up point to the right if you literally walk outside turn right and it is on the bottom floor of the multi story car park - There is also an onsite rep to help) I stayed for 3 nights in Novotel and was £50 a night which I thought was decent, There is a Hilton Doubletree for £210 ish but its a bit further in and I didn't feel like battling with the traffic. Plenty of local food options and not far from the Monument , Skye Bar, Markets etc.

CGK to CMB

Airport

When heading back to the airport at CGK ensure to be mindful of the time as the traffic is mental and can easily add 30 minutes to any journey. I ended up using Grab for all my travelling around in CGK, Make sure you get change as the drivers never have change of 100k

Check in for UL is Checkin Desks C5 to C9 in Terminal 3

The check in agent will ask you for a visa to get to AUH just say Tourist Visa on Arrival, In my case they made me prove I had onward flights home, The BA App was sufficient in this regard.

The lounge is the Sapphire premium lounge between Gate 4 and 5 perfectly acceptable, There is some live kitchen options as well as a small buffet through the back I thought it was nice, Beer and wine only alcohol available, I didn't eat much as the UL Food is usually pretty decent portion wise.

Onboard

I went for seat 1A again which I found was best. The food was as good as ever, The flight was delayed over an hour which had me concerned given I only had 1 hour layover BEFORE the delay happened, The crew said not to worry there was a lot of passengers connecting. CSD was very nice, Spoke with everyone individually with a handshake and a welcome as well as PDB.

CMB to AUH

Airport

Turns out the reason the CSD was confident was the fact that it was the same aircraft that I just came off of so I had no chance of missing it after all lol, Due to the tight turnaround time and a queue for the gate security I just ended up going back to the gate (Again no fasttrack) and by the time I got through it was boarding again

Onboard

4/4 Flights with PDB CSD Welcome on board and the food again excellent 4 hours 20 flight time which arrived into AUH only slightly late. Very proactive with drinks and top ups, I had to tell them to stop at one point or I wouldnt be walking off the plane haha, Of them all this was the best flight out of all the others.

Notes

Only got an amenity kit on the first flight and none of the others.
UL are a great airline, Professional and polite crew and some of the best food I have had in J on an airline. Sri Lankan dishes come with medium heat so bear that in mind before ordering the hottest thing on the menu :-)

B2b at AUH, I seen someone attempt it on my flight and given we landed late the people going back on the flight we arrived on were already all queuing at the gate for boarding. Given you cant get a mobile boarding pass at AUH I have no idea whether he made it or not as he went via Flight Transfer and I was going to Arrivals. I suppose this is dependant on whether the gate will print a boarding pass for you or if there is a UL transfer desk, I will check this when I get back to the airport and report back. But Checkin desk wont be an option as it will be long closed

Last edited by cgtechuk; Mar 7, 2019 at 4:30 am
Old Mar 7, 2019, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by cgtechuk
There is a Hilton Doubletree for £210 ish but its a bit further in and I didn't feel like battling with the traffic.

Yikes! The Doubletree is a lovely hotel and normally runs from around £50-£70 a night: cheapest at weekends. Lovely though it is, it's location relative to the airport makes it a really bad choice for quick overnight visits.

For these overnights I can't see why you'd want the hassle of a city transfer when there are plenty of options in and around the airport. They range from the most convenient but also most expensive, Bandara (airport) International, ex-Sheraton but now "managed by Accor" through to two Ibis properties and a host of others. I like the FM7.

I reckon the closest comfortingly branded city hotel is the Holiday Inn Express at Pluit. It's over a shopping mall and shouldn't cost over £35. But you'll need a taxi/Grab to get there.

If you DO want a taste of the city a straightforward option is the very comfortable train every thirty minutes to the new ultra-modern Sudirman station, now bank-branded as BNI City. It's bang in what i think of as the city centre, close(ish) to the Kempinski and the Plaza Indonesia mall. There are more modest hotels within minutes walk of the station, the neat All Seasons and another Holiday Inn Express, the HIX Thamrin - £35/45 a night.

The train doesn't make sense for where I need to be, but the last time I took it, a ticket was IDR70K (£4) bought with a card through machines at the station. There was talk of it going up to IDR100 - compared to IDR200-ish for taxi.

Just a note on airport Grabs. Getting legality meant accepting the airport surcharge so the price isn't so much better than regular taxis. The advantage is you can pay via credit card linked to your Grab account - and the marshalling team at the airport can be very helpful if the app-based booking system is overloaded (it often is).

The final transport option into the city is the Damri airport bus. The most useful route is probably to the very central Gambir station: it should still be only IDR40K (just over £2). You'll need a taxi/Grab from Gambir to your hotel, but taxi fares within Jakarta will not break anyone's bank.
Lefly likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:07 am

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Yikes! The Doubletree is a lovely hotel and normally runs from around £50-£70 a night: cheapest at weekends. Lovely though it is, it's location relative to the airport makes it a really bad choice for quick overnight visits.

For these overnights I can't see why you'd want the hassle of a city transfer when there are plenty of options in and around the airport. They range from the most convenient but also most expensive, Bandara (airport) International, ex-Sheraton but now "managed by Accor" through to two Ibis properties and a host of others. I like the FM7.

I reckon the closest comfortingly branded city hotel is the Holiday Inn Express at Pluit. It's over a shopping mall and shouldn't cost over £35. But you'll need a taxi/Grab to get there.

If you DO want a taste of the city a straightforward option is the very comfortable train every thirty minutes to the new ultra-modern Sudirman station, now bank-branded as BNI City. It's bang in what i think of as the city centre, close(ish) to the Kempinski and the Plaza Indonesia mall. There are more modest hotels within minutes walk of the station, the neat All Seasons and another Holiday Inn Express, the HIX Thamrin - £35/45 a night.

The train doesn't make sense for where I need to be, but the last time I took it, a ticket was IDR70K (£4) bought with a card through machines at the station. There was talk of it going up to IDR100 - compared to IDR200-ish for taxi.

Just a note on airport Grabs. Getting legality meant accepting the airport surcharge so the price isn't so much better than regular taxis. The advantage is you can pay via credit card linked to your Grab account - and the marshalling team at the airport can be very helpful if the app-based booking system is overloaded (it often is).

The final transport option into the city is the Damri airport bus. The most useful route is probably to the very central Gambir station: it should still be only IDR40K (just over £2). You'll need a taxi/Grab from Gambir to your hotel, but taxi fares within Jakarta will not break anyone's bank.
The Hilton price was £210 total for 3 nights as I was there for 3 days to see Jakarta, An airport hotel would have been a nightmare, Run 2 however I am there overnight which I am staying at the Accor property next to the airport :-)
Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:33 am

Programs: BAEC | qantas | IHG | Hilton Honors | Priority Pass | Nandos
Originally Posted by cgtechuk
B2b at AUH, I seen someone attempt it on my flight and given we landed late the people going back on the flight we arrived on were already all queuing at the gate for boarding. Given you cant get a mobile boarding pass at AUH I have no idea whether he made it or not as he went via Flight Transfer and I was going to Arrivals. I suppose this is dependant on whether the gate will print a boarding pass for you or if there is a UL transfer desk, I will check this when I get back to the airport and report back. But Checkin desk wont be an option as it will be long closed
There's a generic OneWorld transfer desk in Terminal 1 - when I came through last week, I hadn't checked into my BA flight back to LHR and was directed to it. In the end, there were two passengers who seemed to have long and complicated issues, so I went to the lounge and logged in through the app.

As you walk into the circular upper level arcade in T1 (where the gates are), the desk is at your one o'clock. It's little more than a hole in the wall though! There was a board of airline logos next to it, but I didn't look for UL's logo as I was leaving on BA.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 3:27 am

Programs: BA Gold; Avis PC, Bonvoy
Not sure if this was mentioned before but there are very cheap (in dollar terms) CGK limo transfers available . I simply walked up to the Golden Bird booth just before exiting the terminal and got a Toyota Alphard ride to Mega Kuningan for under $25 US. Clearly not the cheapest option but great value for no waiting time and first class comfort and service.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:40 am

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30859383-post961.html

DrBernardo has done a really informative post about b2b in AUH and other tips here
CharliesAngels likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 2:19 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Having stayed at the Novotel Tangerang recently, and found it quite excellent, I'm planning on staying at the FM7 next time - solely because I like a change!

Has anyone ever stayed at the hotel?

M
Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:41 am

Baggage

Has anyone tried to check- through luggage at CGK? On the return leg I’m flying to AUH, 4h break and then BA back to LHR. Would be convenient if that’s possible.

i have checked online and UL check through luggage on 2 separate PNRs provided they have interline agreement with that airlines. Surprisingly though, despite being in the same alliance, I couldn’t find BA on the list of airlines with interline agreement!
Old Mar 15, 2019, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Having stayed at the Novotel Tangerang recently, and found it quite excellent, I'm planning on staying at the FM7 next time - solely because I like a change!

Has anyone ever stayed at the hotel?

M
Many times, though not recently. It's a nice enough place in a rather odd area, and they do try hard to make sure you're comfortable. The rooms are tidy - clean, tiled floors, not overkill in terms of luxury. I understand theres a golf course attached, and it attracts weekenders from the city: but it's always been strictly an overnighter for me, and I haven't explored. The public areas are more-or-less open, as is the way here, and there are mosquitoes. Probably best to make sure your room gets a spray.

The pick-up and drops have ways been good, with a dispatcher at the airport to sort things out, but i reckon that's a YMMV thing. They were always quick at responding to mails about pick-ups, so best to sort things out like that before you travel.

It's an odd route to and from the hotel, through an, errrrr, interesting area.
msm2000uk likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 5:02 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Many times, though not recently. It's a nice enough place in a rather odd area, and they do try hard to make sure you're comfortable. The rooms are tidy - clean, tiled floors, not overkill in terms of luxury. I understand theres a golf course attached, and it attracts weekenders from the city: but it's always been strictly an overnighter for me, and I haven't explored. The public areas are more-or-less open, as is the way here, and there are mosquitoes. Probably best to make sure your room gets a spray.

The pick-up and drops have ways been good, with a dispatcher at the airport to sort things out, but i reckon that's a YMMV thing. They were always quick at responding to mails about pick-ups, so best to sort things out like that before you travel.

I'm there overnight, so it sounds like it'll be fine for the 23 hours I need it!

Thanks for the tip on mosquitos. Having stayed at the Novotel last time, I don't actually think I walked outside anywhere, other than to get a cab to my meeting (at another hotel), so was completely unaware mozzies were present!

I'll look forward to the drive to the hotel, and report my findings

M
Old Mar 15, 2019, 5:03 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Unobtainium, Delta Diamond

I'm new to international travel. Can you explain the room spray for mosquitos?

How interesting?
Old Mar 15, 2019, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pocatello
I'm new to international travel. Can you explain the room spray for mosquitos?

How interesting?

What's to explain? Ask, and they'll come spray your room to kill any mosquitoes that might have sneaked in.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 2:22 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
What's to explain? Ask, and they'll come spray your room to kill any mosquitoes that might have sneaked in.
I think the question was "why is the area interesting ?), I would also like to know
Old Mar 16, 2019, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by wmk198
Has anyone tried to check- through luggage at CGK? On the return leg I’m flying to AUH, 4h break and then BA back to LHR. Would be convenient if that’s possible.

i have checked online and UL check through luggage on 2 separate PNRs provided they have interline agreement with that airlines. Surprisingly though, despite being in the same alliance, I couldn’t find BA on the list of airlines with interline agreement!
They have a baggage agreement. Whatever you're looking most have accidentally left it out.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OverTheHorizon
I think the question was "why is the area interesting ?), I would also like to know
used euphemistically to describe an urban area developed in a manner likely to be very different to the environment familiar to many westerners.
artvandalay likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.