Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

Oneworld: UL: DXB-CGK in J, $800 R/T

Oneworld: UL: DXB-CGK in J, $800 R/T

Old Feb 27, 2019, 4:22 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by Grace B
I've booked DXB-CGK-DXB x2 (all 320/1) and have selected seat 1A for all flights. I'm not a tall person, and find it much easier to get out of, as I don't have to struggle over someone with the seat in front fully reclined. But, YMMV.

I also did this last year, and lucked out as all flights were changed to 333.
A couple of other points.

1. The footrest on the Neo is pretty useless. It's not deep enough to hold both feet, and too high for anyone over 5ft!

2. The IFE on the Neo is pretty crisp, but the screens on the A321-200s are also very good.

3. Despite the 2300 departure time from AUH, meals are provided - and thus the lights come on. There's no blindfold in the UL miniature amenity kit, so bring your own.

4. As the image shows, theres plenty of space to escape if the seat in front of you is reclined.

5. Despite th IFE and power boxes, there is a huge amount of legroom (even for me at 6ft).

6. Upon arrival into CGK, try and grab a golf-buggy to Passport Control. It is free, and tipping is hugely frowned upon (there's a sign) - it's much quicker than walking.

7. Once through to the baggage hall, grab a Customs form, UL wont provide this on the plane, but you'll need it to exit into the main arrivals area.

8. If using Grab Taxi (around 60% cheaper than the official airport taxis), head to the right once through into the main Arrivals area. It will lead into the car park, where you will meet your driver.

M

P.S. Nice to meet fellow FTer frizbee (you know who you are!)

Last edited by msm2000uk; Feb 27, 2019 at 5:25 am
Old Feb 27, 2019, 8:21 am

Programs: BAEC | qantas | IHG | Hilton Honors | Priority Pass | Nandos
Originally Posted by msm2000uk

7. Once through to the baggage hall, grab a Customs form, UL wont provide this on the plane, but you'll need it to exit into the main arrivals area.
Also to be noted is that I didn't need to complete an Immigration form, even though other passengers in the queue (from China/Taiwan by the look of their passports) did have them.
msm2000uk likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 6:44 pm

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by peter h
Also to be noted is that I didn't need to complete an Immigration form, even though other passengers in the queue (from China/Taiwan by the look of their passports) did have them.
Very good point.

There was a large group who had come in on Oman Air before us, and they had the paperwork.

It isn't needed for those coming in on the UL flights.

M
Old Feb 28, 2019, 12:17 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus

2. The IFE on the Neo is pretty crisp, but the screens on the A321-200s are also very good.

3. Despite the 2300 departure time from AUH, meals are provided - and thus the lights come on. There's no blindfold in the UL miniature amenity kit, so bring your own.
2 - on the A320 the screen was in the armrest and was of low quality

3 you can ask the staff. They have them on board but they're on request, I suppose
Old Feb 28, 2019, 1:07 am
R2

Very good point.

There was a large group who had come in on Oman Air before us, and they had the paperwork.

It isn't needed for those coming in on the UL flights.

M
A bit OT but would be interesting and useful to know...whether one needs to fill in the form or not would logically be dependant on your nationality (passport), not the airline you arrive on. I last flew in to CGK on MH and had (to fill in?) the form. IIRC previously on CX didn't have it. Does someone actually know the rules for this?
Old Feb 28, 2019, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by R2
A bit OT but would be interesting and useful to know...whether one needs to fill in the form or not would logically be dependant on your nationality (passport), not the airline you arrive on. I last flew in to CGK on MH and had (to fill in?) the form. IIRC previously on CX didn't have it. Does someone actually know the rules for this?

Immigration requirements are, of course, driven by nationality (among other factors), not the carrier. If you are blessed with a passport entitling you to visa-free entry as a tourist, then no form is required: your passport scan, supplemented by direct questions, will provide the information required. Be prepared to be asked if you are a tourist: don't prevaricate, reply firmly that you are - otherwise the right to a visa-free entry evaporates.

It's possible there's some confusion about customs forms and immigration forms. Completing the customs paper-work is a general requirement, though officials just might wave you through if you have not completed one.

It's hard to imagine the frustrating and time-consuming faff required before the current system was implemented. Forms galore, queues to purchase visas .... then more queues for immigration.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 3:05 pm

A few points regarding CGK.

1. UL use Check-In Desks C5-C9 - between entrances 2 and 3. There is Security upon entry, but only for your baggage.

2. The Saphire CGK lounge has poor air-con, but decent drinks and acceptable food choices. Good wifi too, with views of the runway, so you can spot your plane landing. The buffet area has the best air-con if you're warm.

3. There is no Fast Track for UL passengers, and be cautious of the Ladies Only Lane at security - which often has shorter queues, but which I couldn't use.

M
remymartin likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 9:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
3. There is no Fast Track for UL passengers, and be cautious of the Ladies Only Lane at security - which often has shorter queues, but which I couldn't use.
M
I've only been through T3 once (arriving on AK), and apart from the long walk (mostly on moving walkways), it was a breeze. I've been through T2 numerous times (a bit of a home from home), so departing T3 will be a novelty.

I usually stay at the Orchardz Bandara when overnighting at CGK. Pick up at the airport and drop off on departure are excellent, and the hotel isn't too bad either for the very reasonable price.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Grace B
I've only been through T3 once (arriving on AK), and apart from the long walk (mostly on moving walkways), it was a breeze. I've been through T2 numerous times (a bit of a home from home), so departing T3 will be a novelty.
T2 is something of an uncrowded joy to use these days. Arriving, I get waves of nostalgia for it's quite unique welcome back to indonesia feel. Departing in business-class there's the rather lovely premium check-in area leading directly into the lounge. Departing in economy, the passport queues are no longer a challenge. Sadly, a number of the retail outlets have given up the ghost or function only part-time. Even more sadly Turkish (my airline of choice from UK to CGK) has shifted over to T3, though I think Qatar still uses T2

T3 is soulless cookie-cutter terminal, built to a simple design creating those vast distances. Some airlines (looking at you Malaysia) always seem to be allocated stands at the furthest end: from the reports here it looks like SriLankan might get the same treatment.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
T2 is something of an uncrowded joy to use these days. Arriving, I get waves of nostalgia for it's quite unique welcome back to indonesia feel. Departing in business-class there's the rather lovely premium check-in area leading directly into the lounge. Departing in economy, the passport queues are no longer a challenge. Sadly, a number of the retail outlets have given up the ghost or function only part-time. Even more sadly Turkish (my airline of choice from UK to CGK) has shifted over to T3, though I think Qatar still uses T2

T3 is soulless cookie-cutter terminal, built to a simple design creating those vast distances. Some airlines (looking at you Malaysia) always seem to be allocated stands at the furthest end: from the reports here it looks like SriLankan might get the same treatment.
T2 does still house QR, but like you, I miss the days when that was the main gateway into the country!

T3 is an L shaped metal box, lacking in ventilation and air-conditioning, and with moving walkways which just arent long enough!

M
Old Mar 1, 2019, 10:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, Flyblue
A few points regarding CGK.

1. UL use Check-In Desks C5-C9 - between entrances 2 and 3. There is Security upon entry, but only for your baggage.

2. The Saphire CGK lounge has poor air-con, but decent drinks and acceptable food choices. Good wifi too, with views of the runway, so you can spot your plane landing. The buffet area has the best air-con if you're warm.

M
LOL ... I got turned away from the ladies only security lane too!
msm2000uk likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 5:22 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Quite impressed with the UL website. Just changed my flights from this weekend to May (client rescheduled). 250AED (Ł60ish) and all done online with zero fuss. BA could learn a few things...
msm2000uk likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 6:16 pm

Travelled DXB-CMB-CGK yesterday. No hassle and STPC provided in CMB worked well: they used Ramada hotel 10 min. drive from Airport. The new Premium Plaza lounge in CGK is fine and huge, and overlooks the tarmac in 3 directions.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 11:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by Pedersens
STPC provided in CMB worked well: they used Ramada hotel 10 min. drive from Airport.
Glad to hear it.

I have a couple of 8 hour layovers at CMB coming up with my DXB-CGK flights and am looking forward to the stpc stays. I really didn't want to hang around DXB until 11 pm, when I could have a nice rest in CMB instead, and arrive somewhat refreshed in CGK.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Considering hotels in AUH, I mainly looked for Hilton or Marriott properties. Not anticipating a long tranfer time, arriving after midnight, the Yaz hotel, a recent newcomer to the Marriott family looked interesting. Rumoured to be re-branded as a W hotel, it's on the Yaz island, slightly over 5km from the airport, and has lots of recreational facilities nearby, like the Ferrari World and more. Despite being a Platinum Elite, Reservations Supervisor at the hotel was unwilling to let me have a later check-out than 14.00, after some haggling extended to 16.00. By that time my interest had cooled off and decided for the duller Premier Inn with walking distance from the terminal, and confirmed late check-out at 18.00.

Having amended the Wiki re the hotel stay, I encourage more TP/mileage runner to enter their hotel stays in the Wiki

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.