Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

Oneworld: UL: DXB-CGK in J, $800 R/T

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oneworld: UL: DXB-CGK in J, $800 R/T

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2022, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by Lefly
For a lot of people it wasn't for the miles but for gaining or retaining status. For this reason, the ratio price / status points on BAEC* was dirt cheap enough in my opinion, since 1 return ticket gives 560 Tier Points.

*British Airways Executive Club
Ah now I see the point. 1 return ticket is all it needs to get from blue to Bronze, while adding one more affordable round trip (that earns at least another 40 TPs) gets one to Silver.

Thanks for explaining!
Old Nov 9, 2022, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by kiwibirdft
Hello everyone, newbie here trying to understand the attractiveness of this route.
Upon reading 20+ pages here, I gathered that UL could get as low as $6xx/Eur4xx (during its 40% promo period) for the AUH - CMB - CGK - CMB - AUH route back before the pandemic. I am from Singapore, so that price works out to be around SGD 8/9xx?
It's certainly below average, but I wouldn't consider it dirt cheap (compared to flights ex-SE Asia) to a point I would fly just for fun.
So I am guessing that people do it mainly for mile run. How much miles (in dollar terms) would one earn from one biz round-trip?
Or am I missing something here?
As Lefly point out the fare was attractive primarily as a status-run for BAEC members, but it was also a good value way to get to Indonesia in (relative) comfort for anyone regularly in the wider Gulf region.

For those of us in that latter group the fare originally included most Gulf airports served by Sri Lankan and covered Jakarta as an origin for Gulf destinations. But origins became limited to Abu Dhabi and Dubai (at a somewhat higher fare than AUH), while Saudia undercut Sri Lankan's fares from Abu Dhabi and Athens, while Turkish offered comparable fares from Cairo: both carriers operating wide-body overnight services through hubs a tad more accommodating than Colombo.

For those outside the region, intent on runs, there were high supplemental costs of flights and hotels involved in positioning to Abu Dhabi. This meant multiple back-to-back trips became attractive as a means of improving the efficiency of the venture, driving down the overall cost per Tier Point generated. This perhaps explains why this pretty obscure route gained so many posts and such notoriety.

Sadly for those of us interested in getting to Indonesia cheaply, Turkish has revised its Egypt fares, while Saudia's bargain tickets (to CGK) are now limited to Tunis as origin: so it's good to see UL back in the game even though the fare is less competitive than previously and the product remains unattractive.
Old Nov 9, 2022, 4:16 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Everytime this thread pops back up, a cold shiver runs down my spine as I remember the sheer exhaustion of doing these journeys!

I did need to be in CGK for work, but the trip never got easier!

That being said, there was a fairly regular little gang of us in this thread who used to frequent the route - I'd like to think that if the right price came up, we'd make a DO out of it.

M
Old Nov 9, 2022, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
...a cold shiver runs down my spine as I remember the sheer exhaustion of doing these journeys!
I did need to be in CGK for work, but the trip never got easier!
Could you elaborate why a trip involving CGK may feel so exhausting? Is it the schedule, airport, or the country?
I'm thinking of a first vacation trip to Indonesia, and would like a more complete picture of what I may encounter.
Old Nov 9, 2022, 10:03 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
For me it was a combination between schedule, flight time and the plane used. The departure from AUH is around 22:00 with a plane configured for short haul, so only recliners, and after a 4h30m flight you arrive at CMB at dawn, around 6:30 in the morning. 2 hours wait there and then you hop on another short haul configured plane for another 4h30m circa flight. Arrival at CGK is around 13 and if you're lucky you get to immigration before one or two long haul planes, otherwise it's between 40m and 1h30 wait time at immigration.
Most of the runners where flying back the day after and in again immediately (B2B) or the next day. Those departing from DXB got a long haul configured plane for the first leg, but it's always a veeery short night with a flight time of 4h30ish.

But it was fun!
MaxVO and JessicaTam like this.
Old Nov 9, 2022, 10:24 pm

Programs: BA G, SQ G,UA S, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
on selected days, UL has lie flat A330 between CMB and CGK
i paid cash this summer and bid the minimal $100 for upgrade, and was successful. Although there is nothing standout about UL J except for the TP
Old Nov 10, 2022, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by MaxVO
Could you elaborate why a trip involving CGK may feel so exhausting? Is it the schedule, airport, or the country?
I'm thinking of a first vacation trip to Indonesia, and would like a more complete picture of what I may encounter.
It's not Jakarta that provokes exhaustion. Apart from the long walks, CGK is fine.
Exhaustion is specific to the Sri Lankan experience between Abu Dhabi and Jakarta. A long-haul trip fractured into two short-haul flights on (usually) narrow-body aircraft, with a connection through Colombo. Not the end of the world, simply a trade-off in terms cost vs comfort ... with the sweetener of accelerated status-earning points.

It's something like opting for cheap Icelandair flights across the Atlantic with a connection halfway through Reykjavic.
Though with tier-points, a more charming on-board service and back-to-back curries
our_kid, MaxVO, msm2000uk and 5 others like this.
Old Nov 11, 2022, 9:33 pm

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
It's not Jakarta that provokes exhaustion. Apart from the long walks, CGK is fine.
Exhaustion is specific to the Sri Lankan experience between Abu Dhabi and Jakarta. A long-haul trip fractured into two short-haul flights on (usually) narrow-body aircraft, with a connection through Colombo. Not the end of the world, simply a trade-off in terms cost vs comfort ... with the sweetener of accelerated status-earning points.

It's something like opting for cheap Icelandair flights across the Atlantic with a connection halfway through Reykjavic.
Though with tier-points, a more charming on-board service and back-to-back curries
Pretty much spot on, but the 11pm departure time from AUH never helped!

M
Old Nov 12, 2022, 8:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold/GGL, IHG Diamond AMB
And the best tea in the air!

I also used this route many times for both CGK and also a cheeky run to CAN too which worked really well when working in China.
ubiest likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 7:33 am

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond
I’ll be booking a few of these shortly unless someone knows of a more £/TP efficient route that I can fly before June 8th.

I’m KSA based so anywhere ME is good for me.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 9:44 am

Programs: NH AMC, EY Guest Silver,MPC GO
Originally Posted by Jamier45
I’ll be booking a few of these shortly unless someone knows of a more £/TP efficient route that I can fly before June 8th.

I’m KSA based so anywhere ME is good for me.

same here and planned to do one in late Jun, was hoping can start from DXB so to avoid a long move between DXB<>AUH
Old Mar 4, 2023, 10:21 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by sydneyguy1234
same here and planned to do one in late Jun, was hoping can start from DXB so to avoid a long move between DXB<>AUH
DXB price is way higher than AUH.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 11:09 am

Am doing 2x AUH-CMB-CGK returns next week so will report back with any new insights.

Worst thing will be BA B788 in Economy LHR-Dubai. Last time I did this I was a few inches thinner 😀🥧🍰
Old Mar 4, 2023, 10:47 pm

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond
I’m looking at late April/early May I think. Hoping for a sale to bring them down to <£800rtn
Old Mar 7, 2023, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by Spongthrush
Am doing 2x AUH-CMB-CGK returns next week so will report back with any new insights.

Worst thing will be BA B788 in Economy LHR-Dubai. Last time I did this I was a few inches thinner 😀🥧🍰
Enjoy the sleep deprivation!

I did 2 trips in a week and swore never again!

M

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.