Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

Oneworld: UL: DXB-CGK in J, $800 R/T

Oneworld: UL: DXB-CGK in J, $800 R/T

Old Feb 29, 2020, 10:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Angry

Originally Posted by Jase76
I'm in LON and have no issue adding payments so it might just be a DXB thing (although I tested a VPN on my phone and still had not issues adding payment cards). Also consider the "My Blue Bird" taxi app. I found the pick up from Grab at CGK annoying but with Blue Bad you just walk down to the taxi rank (not the Premium counter), collect a ticket and then tell the driver your passcode from the App for credit card payment. They often have promo codes that make the price similar to Grab.
Originally Posted by SirToby
I had a similar experience when I first installed Grab. I was not able to add my credit card as the app kept telling me "Grab is not available in your region".
However, as soon I was in a Grab country (I think it was SIN in my case) it was possible to add a "non-Asian" credit card in the app without issues.
That’s mildly disturbing as I’m not getting anything other than a completely blank screen when I click on the Payment tab and although the instructions on the Grab help pages https://help.grab.com/passenger/en-i...rd-to-Grab-app say to go to the Account tab and select the Cards link, no such link exists in my app

I did actually try briefly in London to add a card and got the same problems so uninstalled and then reinstalled when I got to DXB so it doesn’t appear to be a UAE firewall thing. In fact it gives me the option of searching for a ride in DXB (in LON the Transport option wasn’t showing) but won’t allow me to book as it says I need to set up my GrabPay wallet and load it with credit first. Once again there’s no obvious means of doing that.

Guess I’ll have to hope CGK’s WiFi is up to scratch and the app works when I land, but I’ll download My Blue Bird as a backup plan.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by southlondonphil
That’s mildly disturbing as I’m not getting anything other than a completely blank screen when I click on the Payment tab and although the instructions on the Grab help pages https://help.grab.com/passenger/en-i...rd-to-Grab-app say to go to the Account tab and select the Cards link, no such link exists in my app

I did actually try briefly in London to add a card and got the same problems so uninstalled and then reinstalled when I got to DXB so it doesn’t appear to be a UAE firewall thing. In fact it gives me the option of searching for a ride in DXB (in LON the Transport option wasn’t showing) but won’t allow me to book as it says I need to set up my GrabPay wallet and load it with credit first. Once again there’s no obvious means of doing that.

Guess I’ll have to hope CGK’s WiFi is up to scratch and the app works when I land, but I’ll download My Blue Bird as a backup plan.
Have you tried to VPN to SEA and then try?
Old Mar 1, 2020, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by flyingnomad
gents, I believe this is the same “25% from AUH” sale that was first advertised on 20 Feb, and discussed a few posts above. The email yesterday was only a reminder. I’m still optimistic we will see the 40% off return for a broader sale across a longer travel window, but maybe it’s just wishful thinking on my part

Personally, I had the first mail on this 'sale' Feb 28. i.e. one week's notice not only to make reservations, but also to take the first flight. Even extending that to two weeks might be too short for many of us

Originally Posted by skicowboys
I'm one of those waiting for a 40% (patiently, most of the time). The coronavirus will have an impact on loads, the hotel I was looking to stay in in AUH (CP YAS) is currently quarantined so the emirates are affected. BA releasing 100,000 avios seats to get some cash into the business is an indication that future bookings may be light, as well as having to deal with the loss of revenue from the cancellations. UL may be quite content to give us hardy bunch a 40% sale to fill some seats at the front, as some people just won't fly at the moment unless they have to.
Hear, hear !

Originally Posted by AnttiV
I flew DXB-CMB-CGK yestarday/today and the cabins on the 330 and 320 only had 2 empty seats so there’s still definitely demand.
Although probably the majority of your fellow flyers traveling on 'sales' fares would have fixed their tickets in the December 40% discount sale. I have two trips in April and two more in October, all bought last year
Old Mar 1, 2020, 2:55 am

Programs: BA Exec
Mandatory Credit Card Check: Sent copy of credit card (security code redacted), passport signature page, and print out of credit card recent transactions from Amex web site (Srilankan airlines charges expanded) to [email protected]. Response took 3 1/2 days but came back positive "Passenger can travel without credit card as the transaction is verified by the airline".

Looking at flights it appears the 321 Neos have been swapped for the 320 Neos
Old Mar 1, 2020, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by southlondonphil

I've never been able to do anything to do with payments outside a Grab-covered area. But in-zone it's been a fast, efficient process.

I'm blessed with Indo coverage and have no idea how well CGK's WiFi works, or how simple it is to access. Grab itself can get overwhelmed at the airport, and there can be waits. But a regular taxi isn't going to break the bank, though probably best to avoid more pricey limo services.

Train into the city followed by a walk or a taxi is a fast, cheap, virtuous and interesting option.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 4:58 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I've never been able to do anything to do with payments outside a Grab-covered area. But in-zone it's been a fast, efficient process.

I'm blessed with Indo coverage and have no idea how well CGK's WiFi works, or how simple it is to access. Grab itself can get overwhelmed at the airport, and there can be waits. But a regular taxi isn't going to break the bank, though probably best to avoid more pricey limo services.

Train into the city followed by a walk or a taxi is a fast, cheap, virtuous and interesting option.
Grab at CGK is usually a 10 minute wait in the car park.

It isnt a pleasant place to wait due to the heat/car fumes, and I'll just take a regular cab next time.

I've done this trip too many times to list, and each time I learn something new, stay somewhere different, or simply take a different approach to rushing!

M
Telecasterman likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 6:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by IAN-UK

Thanks for the response, that’s altogether more reassuring. I also DM’d Grab on Twitter and they got back to me within minutes confirming that the payment tab is dynamically updated and location-dependent so hopefully all will be good.

I’m a big fan of public transport options when in cities or at airports, so I might give some thought to taking the train into the city as an alternative.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 4:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold * Alliance Gold IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by MGW60
Mandatory Credit Card Check: Sent copy of credit card (security code redacted), passport signature page, and print out of credit card recent transactions from Amex web site (Srilankan airlines charges expanded) to [email protected]. Response took 3 1/2 days but came back positive "Passenger can travel without credit card as the transaction is verified by the airline".

Looking at flights it appears the 321 Neos have been swapped for the 320 Neos
Expert flyer has confirmed A/c to a320a on flight ul 364 from CMB I thought they were upgrading not down grading flights ☹️☹️☹️
Old Mar 3, 2020, 4:32 pm

Just had confirmation from expert flyer leg 2 on ul 364 is indeed a 320
Old Mar 3, 2020, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by Wing It One World
Expert flyer has confirmed A/c to a320a on flight ul 364 from CMB I thought they were upgrading not down grading flights ☹️☹️☹️
U364 is the Colombo to Jakarta sector and always varies between A320/320neo and A321/321neo.

Some of the AUH-CMB flights that are usually on an A320/321 have been upgraded to a widebody because UL are running fewer flights to China, but their press release makes no mention of enhancements to the Jakarta service.
Wing It One World likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 12:00 am

Programs: BAEC bouncing from Blue to Gold to Blue VSFC Red CXGreen Club Accor Platinum Hilton Silver.
One of my trips in February I had a 320 from CMB-CGK-CMB and it was hard to notice, I think an AV geek or a Media buff would but I'm not really either. But the service and the food was just as good. And after the BA 777-200 on the way home from AUH I wouldn't worry (so 1990's).
John
Old Mar 4, 2020, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Expertflyer is a useful tool, not a God

UL decides, sometimes late in the day, what aircraft to employ.

But what exactly worries you about the (potential) switch?
Old Mar 4, 2020, 4:07 am

Business class hard product is identical on 320/321 and neo variants as far as I know. A330-200 and A330-300 do have different seats, 2+2+2 on the ~200 and 1+2+1 on the ~300.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 11:49 am

Programs: BA exec, HHonors Diamond
Just had confirmation from expert flyer leg 2 on ul 364 is indeed a 320
ive found the A320 biz nice, imho slightly better recline than the 321T . YMMV.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 1:37 pm

I read somewhere that the 330’s are flat beds... alway a bonus. I have just read the news articulate again as south
london Phil says to do with China 🇨🇳 ( sorry ) however I do struggle to sleep 💤 Unless I’m flat.

Thisis my first tier run so it’s going to be fun no matter what plane.
Rim1 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.