Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

Oneworld: UL: DXB-CGK in J, $800 R/T

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oneworld: UL: DXB-CGK in J, $800 R/T

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2020, 1:02 pm
formerly Guanran Wang

Programs: Alaska, BAEC, Asiana, Aegean, Enrich, Marriott/SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by ZBigFam
Anyone positioning to dxb or auh from the US? Not sure if it's worth it for an MR?
I am based in DC, I married 3 trips in one.
I booked the cheap First sale to Europe via BA for my EU trip, then I booked cheap Y (330EUR RT) ex EU to AUH. So I am doing an MR trip between my two EU trips before back to USA.
ZBigFam likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 1:10 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by onobond
1. UL rather often advertise a sale, be sure to subscribe to their newsletter. Although, to get the more wide sale prices, one has to glimpse (and delete) the offers in economy from CMB. Just wait some 6-8 weeks to have a 25% rebate.

2. The once-daily flight from AUH normally is an A320. There are two daily flights DXB-CMB. The late evening flight with easy connection to CGK, is usually an A330 with lie-flats. Be sure to eat before the flight, bring shades and ear-plugs, as they are not always catered, in case you'll try to get some sleep on this red-eye.

3. Hot in UAE during summer months? Is the Pope Catholic? Actually not much worse than PHX in August. Lounge by the pool, travel air-conditioned and be sure to take that water bottle along.

4. Look at the Wiki, and scroll the last 5-6 months of posts for alternative hotels, if you like. I've found I rather stay in town, Doubletree CGK Diponegro is fine and reasonable priced, but hotel nights are cheap here compared to western countries, and there are luxury hotels with prices lower than good middle class places at home charge.

5. IIRC, there are reports on CMB stayovers in the thread. When I searched the ITA Matrix for flights to the two latest reservations I made, i had a suggestion of a stayover of 44 h in CMB, on the return to DXB, for only round €50 more. Considering that for my next time.

6. No need to excuse yourself fo questions, that's one of many things FT is for

Safe travels, and don't forget to add your flights and hotel stays to the wiki. You'll be meeting friends with similar interests.
Thank you for the detailed reply, it's super helpful!
Looking at their website, trying to find a link to getting their sales newsletters.... can someone post a link? Thanks!
Old Jan 13, 2020, 3:58 pm

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, All
Originally Posted by kyushuman
.. can someone post a link?
https://www.srilankan.com/flysmiles/home/register
Old Jan 13, 2020, 8:07 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Honors Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Gold
Long term lurker here! Booked a while back but decided to hold back in posting my flights in case the sharks bite

Can my flights be added to the wiki please

11th March 2020 UL226 DXB-CMB
12th March 2020 UL364 CMB-CGK
14th March 2020 UL365 CGK-CMB
14th March 2020 UL225 CMB-DXB
Old Jan 13, 2020, 10:29 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by Sifu
Can my flights be added to the wiki please
Done
Sifu likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by Lefly
Done
Haha, early bird as well, are you?

Having just made the changes myself, I thought they were saved, made myself ready to confirm, when a kitchen semi-emergency called. Probably because we've both been into the wiki, there were some extra blank lines and spaces left, now erased with the help of my Phaser.

I'd like to take this opportunity to repeat myself with a(nother) humble request to enter the wiki also with:

1. Your positioning flights
2. Related hotel stays

Safe travels, all!
Lefly likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 4:44 am

Programs: BA Silver (OWS), OZ Diamond (*G), TK Elite (*G), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Jumped on this a while back and ended up creating a bit of a monster TP run over a months time combining some time back home in Thailand and a ski trip to Niseko. Full routing ended up being HEL-LHR-DXB / DXB-CMB-CGK / CGK-HKG-TPE / TPE-HKG-BKK / BKK-HKG-TPE / TPE-HKG-CGK-HKG-CTS / CTS-HKG-CGK-HKG-TPE / TPE-HKG-CNX / CNX-HKG-TPE / TPE-HKG-CGK / CGK-HKG-DXB / DXB-LHR-HEL where HEL-DXB postitioning flights and TPE-BKK flights were redemptions earning total 1860TP at a bit over 2€/TP all in.

Added the UL flights to the wiki.
MaxFlyer, mr_botak, temppa and 4 others like this.

Last edited by AnttiV; Jan 14, 2020 at 7:30 am Reason: Corrected the TPs earned
Old Jan 14, 2020, 6:48 am

My head is spinning @ AnttiV. Well done.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 1:33 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
One day Sale on 16th January.

40% off as usual.

M
JessicaTam and Lefly like this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 1:39 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by msm2000uk

40% off as usual.

M
I've just got the mail, but the ad says: "travel period between 16 January and 31 January 2020"
A bit tight this time...
Old Jan 15, 2020, 1:53 am

Programs: BAEC, Mileage Plus, Aeroplan, SPG
Nevermind - I was mistaken.

Last edited by aba_bab; Jan 15, 2020 at 1:59 am Reason: Correction to earlier post
Old Jan 15, 2020, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by msm2000uk

40% off as usual.

M

Credit for being the fastest draw in the west. My UL mail was delivered 1min before your post is clocked on FT. You were just waiting for it, right?

Originally Posted by Lefly
I've just got the mail, but the ad says: "travel period between 16 January and 31 January 2020"
A bit tight this time...

Oh yes, I re-read the mail hoping for indications of a typo, 31 January 2021 would've been nice. I guess we have to for all the world NY celebrations...
ZBigFam and msm2000uk like this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Haha, early bird as well, are you?

Credit for being the fastest draw in the west. My UL mail was delivered 1min before your post is clocked on FT. You were just waiting for it, right?

Is this a new game of Competitive Posting ?
Telecasterman likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 5:01 am

Programs: BA exec, HHonors Diamond
When I scanned the mail earlier I figured it wasn’t the “usual” AUH/DXB - CMB - CGK sale.
Just had another look and the t&c’s of this flash sale are:

Old Jan 15, 2020, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Telecasterman
When I scanned the mail earlier I figured it wasn’t the “usual” AUH/DXB - CMB - CGK sale.
Just had another look and the t&c’s of this flash sale are:

Tbh, didn't even bother to check T&Cs as I have a week and a half with no margin for travel, and starting the positioning flight(s) for two trips to CGK thereafter. Thanks for sharing your observation. Many of us hope the Lunar New Year sale will be the usual stuff.
Telecasterman likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.