Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

Oneworld: UL: DXB-CGK in J, $800 R/T

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oneworld: UL: DXB-CGK in J, $800 R/T

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2019, 6:47 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by MaxFlyer
Thanks to everyone on this thread as I’ll already be in Dubai I’ve booked DXB-CMB-CGK for June. It will be my first time flying UL.

My my only worry is the 55 minute transit on the way back being long enough.
What dates in June are you flying?

M
Old May 21, 2019, 7:56 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
What dates in June are you flying?

M
Fly out of DXB on 7 and back on 9.
msm2000uk likes this.
Old May 21, 2019, 4:32 pm

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, All
Originally Posted by Fitch
For a slightly more authentic Jakarta experience, next time you could take the ARS to Duri then the Loop line to Cikini... total INR73,000 and more than comfortable
Taken from other responses that it is actually 2 train changes, how long would the trip be? ...and how does that compare with cabs?
On topic, can people recommend an airport hotel?
Old May 21, 2019, 5:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by LukeO9
On topic, can people recommend an airport hotel?
I'm just in the middle of my second round trip on the AUH-CMB-CGK routing, and I booked the Orchardz Bandara for the Jakarta stopover.

The good points it that it is cheap, it has a restaurant, is fairly comfortable, and has a shuttle bus which will take you to and from the airport. You do need to prebook the airport collection part (I didn't realise this initially so the first time I had to get a taxi at the cost of around Ł7).

The bad points is that it isn't in a good location for doing anything else in Jakarta; in fact the location is poor being next to a main road. And my room had poorly fitted single glazed windows, which means you could hear the road at night.

So I wouldn't recommend it as such, but I decided to stay they again for the second time, so it isn't awful
Old May 21, 2019, 7:22 pm

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, All
Originally Posted by CharliesAngels
So I wouldn't recommend it as such,
I understand - cheap'n'easy.
I was thinking about Digital Airport Hotel's capsules. I understand its in the domestic part of T3. I'm assuming thats separated from international.
Old May 21, 2019, 11:20 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by CharliesAngels
so it isn't awful
agree, I stay there all the time and have never had a problem with outside noise, but I always ask for a quiet room (not on the road side) on the top floor.
I
CharliesAngels likes this.
Old May 22, 2019, 12:51 am

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
I understand - cheap'n'easy.
I was thinking about Digital Airport Hotel's capsules. I understand its in the domestic part of T3. I'm assuming thats separated from international.
I'm booked into the FM7 in a couple of weeks time. I'm paying around Ł30 for the night.

It's very close to the airport, and while that means it's far from downtown Jakarta, on a 24 hour layover I'm unlikely to go exploring.

The one downside I can see, is that the pool is indoor - so in reality, I won't use it. What I will use however, is the free airport shuttle (which means not having to faff about with airport taxis)

M
Old May 22, 2019, 5:13 am

Programs: BA exec, HHonors Diamond
I'm booked into the FM7 in a couple of weeks time. I'm paying around Ł30 for the night.

It's very close to the airport, and while that means it's far from downtown Jakarta, on a 24 hour layover I'm unlikely to go exploring.

The one downside I can see, is that the pool is indoor - so in reality, I won't use it. What I will use however, is the free airport shuttle (which means not having to faff about with airport taxis)

M
Hi, Presently at the FM7 (2nd time). The main pool has a solid roof over it but there is adjacent small one in same area which has sunlight from something like a high perspex roof which lets in plenty of sun. The usual poolside furniture available to move round as suits.

Shuttle is efficient, give them your Flight details by email/booking and the hotel rep in the yellow jacket is there to meet you as you walk outside T3. Took 10mins to Hotel earlier.
Highly recommend Montezuma's roof bar/restaurant for a beer and nice food (cheap) with views of aircraft. Enjoy. T

Old May 22, 2019, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by Telecasterman
Hi, Presently at the FM7 (2nd time). The main pool has a solid roof over it but there is adjacent small one in same area which has sunlight from something like a high perspex roof which lets in plenty of sun. The usual poolside furniture available to move round as suits.

Shuttle is efficient, give them your Flight details by email/booking and the hotel rep in the yellow jacket is there to meet you as you walk outside T3. Took 10mins to Hotel earlier.
Highly recommend Montezuma's roof bar/restaurant for a beer and nice food (cheap) with views of aircraft. Enjoy. T
Many thanks for the photos - I've booked a Deluxe Plus room, so hoping I can just chill out (if there's no chance of getting a sun-tan!)

Was meant to be there in March as you know, but looking forward to trying it in June!

M
Telecasterman likes this.
Old May 26, 2019, 10:23 am

Programs: BAEC GGL & CCR / QF LTG
Let me know how you get on with the scanning approach.

M
@msm2000uk, I emailed [email protected] a copy of my passport, bank statement showing the transactions and a scan of my credit card (CVV number blanked out) for good measure. Email subject was "Mandatory Plastic Check" and I got a reasonably fast response stating:

Passenger can travel without the credit card as the transaction is verified by the Airline.
Unfortunately I won't know the exact outcome until I do my TP run in October. Will still bring the (by then) expired credit card, just in case.

J.
Old May 26, 2019, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by Jase76
@msm2000uk, I emailed [email protected] a copy of my passport, bank statement showing the transactions and a scan of my credit card (CVV number blanked out) for good measure. Email subject was "Mandatory Plastic Check" and I got a reasonably fast response stating:

Unfortunately I won't know the exact outcome until I do my TP run in October. Will still bring the (by then) expired credit card, just in case.

J.
Many thanks Jase76.

I booked a b2b for June, but managed to find it cheaper with an OTA opposed to UL direct, so that should see me through the credit card check.

One thing I'd add too, is that the Check-In staff at AUH can evidently do the credit card check for an upcoming flight when you're there checking in for a different one.

M

Last edited by msm2000uk; May 26, 2019 at 2:12 pm
Old May 27, 2019, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Taken from other responses that it is actually 2 train changes, how long would the trip be? ...and how does that compare with cabs?
I think that suggestion was tongue in cheek. Take the train to the end of its line, the BNI City Station, then take a Grab/taxi from there. Or walk (see below).

Jakarta taxi fares are extremely low by western standards, and by many other standards. From the airport to somewhere central its generally something like IDR170K to IDR200K including tolls: say around Ł10. South Jakarta could be more, depending on the traffic. The big drawback to taxis is the variability in the duration of the ride: weather, time of day, and day of the week are the drivers of delay. My record is 4 hours airport to city centre.

...can people recommend an airport hotel?
I'm another who is perfectly happy with the FM7, I've stayed there umpteen times when I have a next day connection: the only drawback has a been a couple of run-ins with mosquitoes.

But now I've gained confidence in the train, I'm happier taking that into the city, and enjoy the distractions that affords. The train is IDR70,000/Ł4 each way (pay by credit card only), and it's a very comfortable trip of 35 minutes or so, at least twice an hour.

An easy walk from the city terminus (Surdirman BNI City station) are a cluster of hotels. I've stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Thamrin (no pool) and the AllSeasons (with pool). Both cost (Ł30-Ł40). They are both just off Surdirman, the axis of the city centre, with the Indonesia mall a short walk away. There's a station for the spanking new MRT between the two hotels.

It'd be a shame to travel so far and not get even a limited glimpse of the city, now that the election unrest has gone away.
LukeO9 likes this.
Old May 28, 2019, 12:14 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Nice "little" run

I had no CC check whatsoever at any Srilankan Desk. The Premium check-in at AUH is very convenient with its own immigration line and "fast track" to security check. The Lounge in AUH is comfortable enough. Srilankan onboard service is very good! seats on the A321 are good enough, similar to AA domestic F (maybe even a bit larger), while the A320 has a very deep recline. I would have liked to have it more on the short night sector from AUH to CMB.

The PITA is in CMB with the security check done at the gate, especially when a bus gate is used; there are 2 line of security for all the 5 bis gates downstairs, and when they are all open at the same time the waiting line could be long. However there is plenty of time even with a 40 min layover. Lounge at CMB is nice and with plenty of food.
The arrival in Jakarta can be a long affair if the passengers from the Singapore flight beat you at immigration. If you're doing the run more than once in a row, pick up some spare custom form so you can fill it in advance and save time after immigration.

Jakarta traffic is actually that bad, even on the weekend it's at least 45 min from the airport to the Doubletree (a waaay better hotel than the Hilton Capital Grand Abu Dhabi). Bluebird taxi price is around 175.000/185.000 IDR all included. I tried also the FM7, but i wasn't impressed by the room due to a series of unfortunate combination (room wasn't prepared in advance and temperature inside was close to 33 degrees Celsius, some amenities were missing, TV remote didn't work and the minibar fridge was locked). Rooftop lounge is nice, however, and the food good. Also the airport shuttle service was very nice.

Oh, also the Premier Inn at AUH is a very convenient place if you don't want to pay for a taxi (there is a starting fee of 20/25 AED when taking a taxi from the airport). I stayed there the first night after arriving with the positioning flight from LHR.

I'll go back in September for another round. It was fun

P.S.
Anyone has the average waiting time for UL flights TP to post? It has been more than a week from the first run and still no sign of the related TPs
Old May 28, 2019, 1:13 am

Originally Posted by Lefly
Nice "little" run

I had no CC check whatsoever at any Srilankan Desk. The Premium check-in at AUH is very convenient with its own immigration line and "fast track" to security check. The Lounge in AUH is comfortable enough. Srilankan onboard service is very good! seats on the A321 are good enough, similar to AA domestic F (maybe even a bit larger), while the A320 has a very deep recline. I would have liked to have it more on the short night sector from AUH to CMB.

The PITA is in CMB with the security check done at the gate, especially when a bus gate is used; there are 2 line of security for all the 5 bis gates downstairs, and when they are all open at the same time the waiting line could be long. However there is plenty of time even with a 40 min layover. Lounge at CMB is nice and with plenty of food.
The arrival in Jakarta can be a long affair if the passengers from the Singapore flight beat you at immigration. If you're doing the run more than once in a row, pick up some spare custom form so you can fill it in advance and save time after immigration.

Jakarta traffic is actually that bad, even on the weekend it's at least 45 min from the airport to the Doubletree (a waaay better hotel than the Hilton Capital Grand Abu Dhabi). Bluebird taxi price is around 175.000/185.000 IDR all included. I tried also the FM7, but i wasn't impressed by the room due to a series of unfortunate combination (room wasn't prepared in advance and temperature inside was close to 33 degrees Celsius, some amenities were missing, TV remote didn't work and the minibar fridge was locked). Rooftop lounge is nice, however, and the food good. Also the airport shuttle service was very nice.

Oh, also the Premier Inn at AUH is a very convenient place if you don't want to pay for a taxi (there is a starting fee of 20/25 AED when taking a taxi from the airport). I stayed there the first night after arriving with the positioning flight from LHR.

I'll go back in September for another round. It was fun

P.S.
Anyone has the average waiting time for UL flights TP to post? It has been more than a week from the first run and still no sign of the related TPs
Thanks for the report!

For TPs to BA (my bolding), they usually post on the Tuesday after you fly.

M
Lefly likes this.
Old May 28, 2019, 2:03 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Thanks for the report!

For TPs to BA (my bolding), they usually post on the Tuesday after you fly.

M
That means I'll wait another week and then, if nothing happens, proceed to claim for missing TP/Avios... Thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.