Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

Oneworld: UL: DXB-CGK in J, $800 R/T

Oneworld: UL: DXB-CGK in J, $800 R/T

Old Apr 14, 2019, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Jase76
Has anyone done a B2B at AUH or DXB without making a booking through an OTA or using a Visa/Mastercard with a secure code? I am thinking of B2B at DXB as the A330 will be far more comfortable for the night flight to CMB.
Micro-managing these things sets you up for disappointment when there's a 333/332 switch. it's a short-ish flight: the 321 is perfectly fine for a couple of hours' snooze.

As for the B2B, i wouldn't subject myself to the risk, or indeed to four consecutive 4-hour flights, with an adrenaline rush half-way, when comfortable hotel rooms are available in UAE at very little cost.

I have no idea if you know Abu Dhabi, but it's an interesting enough place to kick your heels for a couple of days: you could even do Dubai Jakarta as your second "run", so you sample another route, another aircraft and another emirate (it's a very easy 5/2-hour bus ride between the two).
Old Apr 14, 2019, 8:42 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL & CCR / QF LTG
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Micro-managing these things sets you up for disappointment when there's a 333/332 switch. it's a short-ish flight: the 321 is perfectly fine for a couple of hours' snooze.

As for the B2B, i wouldn't subject myself to the risk, or indeed to four consecutive 4-hour flights, with an adrenaline rush half-way, when comfortable hotel rooms are available in UAE at very little cost.

I have no idea if you know Abu Dhabi, but it's an interesting enough place to kick your heels for a couple of days: you could even do Dubai Jakarta as your second "run", so you sample another route, another aircraft and another emirate (it's a very easy 5/2-hour bus ride between the two).
All valid points, however I want to use this fare for a TP run and would love to take more time off and do it at a leisurely pace. However, I'm a contractor, so every day off work is a day without . A a bit of pain like this means GGL for 18 months for all my leisure travel, of which I have a bit planned.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 3:43 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Micro-managing these things sets you up for disappointment when there's a 333/332 switch.
So what's the big deal with that? Even the 332 is streets ahead of the 321, IMO. Just select seat 1A and you can't go very wrong.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Grace B
...the 332 is streets ahead of the 321, IMO.
As you say, opinions

I have no interest in a bed on a four-hour flight with a service circus going on in the cabin.
Others do, which is fair enough. So for me the 321N is on par with the 332: indeed the smaller business-class cabin gives it a small push to the front.

I do however rate the convenience of full aisle access offered by the configuration of the 333. I'd therefore feel disappointed by a switch from 332 to 332.

So there you are: my opinion delineated. I'd prefer to travel on the A333, even on a short-haul flight, but not enough to switch routes, pay more or adjust my schedule to do so.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 7:42 pm

I've taken the plunge and booked a few of these for a TP run. For those doing B2B, it seems you can have you Mandatory Plastic Check completed at a SriLankan Airlines office. Here are contact details. I've not tried this, but will when I am back in the UK.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

..However, I'm a contractor, so every day off work is a day without . A a bit of pain like this means GGL for 18 months for all my leisure travel, of which I have a bit planned.
It's difficult to phrase the question without it sounding like an attempt to needle you - which is not the intention! But what are the joys of GGL above vanilla Gold that make it worth the effort + time and cash?

My take has always been that travel beyond Gold requalification is better channelled into status with another alliance, giving me a wider spread of comfort across global networks. Perhaps I'm missing something, and should have aimed higher within BAEC, but i thought GGL offers some upgrade paths with BA I never really understood, and lounge privileges at LHR.

On the other hand Turkish elite+ (quite easy to get) earns me two relatively straightforward, long-haul upgrades through Istanbul at no cost (except for the uplift in APD if travelling from UK), and STAR Gold privileges cross the alliance network.

But back to the Sri Lankan trip. I've done it a number times, but I've never been through any sort of credit card inquisition. I was prepared for it on my first trip because I'd got a replacement card between buying the ticket and the date of travel: but the letter confirming this, which I'd wheedled out of MBNA, wasn't needed. Perhaps I was lucky...
Old Apr 15, 2019, 11:18 pm

It's difficult to phrase the question without it sounding like an attempt to needle you - which is not the intention! But what are the joys of GGL above vanilla Gold that make it worth the effort + time and cash?

My take has always been that travel beyond Gold requalification is better channelled into status with another alliance, giving me a wider spread of comfort across global networks. Perhaps I'm missing something, and should have aimed higher within BAEC, but i thought GGL offers some upgrade paths with BA I never really understood, and lounge privileges at LHR.

On the other hand Turkish elite+ (quite easy to get) earns me two relatively straightforward, long-haul upgrades through Istanbul at no cost (except for the uplift in APD if travelling from UK), and STAR Gold privileges cross the alliance network.
In short, the benefits work for me. Not really that fussed about the CCR but:
  1. Being able to give my partner Gold is helpful as he travels in Y a lot for work
  2. Being able to give my sister in Oz a BA Silver card gets her access to the Qantas Club / Business class check-in (She doesn't care about points and only flies Y)
  3. Between my partner and I, being able to use A Class availability for 2-4-1 Avios redemptions twice a year (although maybe the A class Jokers will go)
But back to the Sri Lankan trip. I've done it a number times, but I've never been through any sort of credit card inquisition. I was prepared for it on my first trip because I'd got a replacement card between buying the ticket and the date of travel: but the letter confirming this, which I'd wheedled out of MBNA, wasn't needed. Perhaps I was lucky...
I guess that all depends on how you pay, in my case Amex on UL. The website was pretty clear on Mandatory Plastic Check and I would rather not take the risk (just one less thing to worry about if I can sort it before travelling and doing a B2B at AUH).
Old Apr 16, 2019, 1:26 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
I'd prefer to travel on the A333, even on a short-haul flight, but not enough to switch routes, pay more or adjust my schedule to do so.
Last year I flew CGK-DXB-CGK in J on UL, and all four flights were changed to 333 from 332/321. It was very nice, but I'd be very surprised if it happened again. And the service was top notch too (can't remember what the champagne was...).
Old Apr 16, 2019, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Grace B
Last year I flew CGK-DXB-CGK in J on UL, and all four flights were changed to 333 from 332/321. It was very nice, but I'd be very surprised if it happened again. And the service was top notch too (can't remember what the champagne was...).

It's only the knowledge of your good fortune that will make my downward switch bearable
ElJudioErrante likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 12:35 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
I've taken the plunge and booked a few of these for a TP run. For those doing B2B, it seems you can have you Mandatory Plastic Check completed at a SriLankan Airlines office. Here are contact details. I've not tried this, but will when I am back in the UK.
What dates are you looking at doing the B2B?

I'm thinking of doing similarly, the last week of May - but will also try and go to a Sri Lankan office to sort the plastic check.

M
Old Apr 19, 2019, 2:28 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR; AB Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Does anyone ever had any problems with connection time in CMB?
Old Apr 19, 2019, 4:02 am

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
What dates are you looking at doing the B2B?

I'm thinking of doing similarly, the last week of May - but will also try and go to a Sri Lankan office to sort the plastic check.

M
I am doing it in October as it worked with my other travel plans. It seems there may be a simpler approach than visiting a SriLankan office as I asked via [email protected] (even attaching a copy of my e-ticket) how I can get the Mandatory Plastic Check done and this was their reply:

Please forward below details in order to do the veryfication.
  1. Copy of the Passport (signature page) or National Identity Card of the card holder
  2. Copies of the Passports of the passengers
  3. Official bank statement reflecting payment to SriLankan airlines.

Thank you!!
So I shall try the above before visiting the London office.
msm2000uk and SirToby like this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In short, the benefits work for me.
i found another useful benefit - being able to mess around with reward bookings, cancel them, change them, without charge. It used to be a general Gold bennie, but was one of those that got ripped away from us.

Just beware of the addictive nature of it all. If you aren't hooked into an annual cycle of mileage running, the recipients of those magic cards will make it clear you should be

Good luck!!
boogen likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 5:18 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by tsmnc
Does anyone ever had any problems with connection time in CMB?
Unlikely, as the plane that goes onwards to CGK, is usually the same one you arrive on!

M
Old Apr 19, 2019, 5:33 am

i found another useful benefit - being able to mess around with reward bookings, cancel them, change them, without charge. It used to be a general Gold bennie, but was one of those that got ripped away from us.

Just beware of the addictive nature of it all. If you aren't hooked into an annual cycle of mileage running, the recipients of those magic cards will make it clear you should be

Good luck!!
True, that is another benefit that I am sure to use. Not uncommon to book a 2-4-1 in Club and then upgrade to First if I get an EF alert.

And I've been addicted for a while... Made QF Lifetime Gold (BA Silver) last year, so am moving across to BAEC It's a fun game to play!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.