Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

Finnair J: YYZ-PEK ~$2500 ai

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair J: YYZ-PEK ~$2500 ai

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite, AS MVP Gold 75K, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I class with Finnair (1.25 EQM) is nearly as good as with BA (1.5 EQM, plus 100% bonus miles at that for earning) on AS.

Around 8047 is the mileage earned from JFK-HEL-PEK one-way for base miles. 10059 would be the EQM.

You can often route through ORD for Finnair as well. The flights from YYZ-ORD are in business as well, which is a nice perk. Hope this helps.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:41 am

YYZ-JFK is often in ecomony (Y) in this fare, or at least for the date range I was checking. Just an extra consideration.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
I wonder if AS will honor the bonus of 150% on the BA segments. I just got off BA F, which was barely an acceptable J. I’d rather fly mainland chinese carriers than BA F. They’ve really bad it a bare bones experience.

I can only imagine how bad BA’s J is.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 12:48 am

If you show them the BA flights and save the boarding passes, there's a chance, but there's also a chance they won't honor them at all. It all depends on whether or not the agent wants to be nice, but their terms are clear. That said, they've honored a codeshare or two for me before.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 4:48 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
I wonder if AS will honor the bonus of 150% on the BA segments. I just got off BA F, which was barely an acceptable J. I’d rather fly mainland chinese carriers than BA F. They’ve really bad it a bare bones experience.

I can only imagine how bad BA’s J is.
Don't exaggerate, please. BA First class is perfectly acceptable and J, while cramped, beats in service all North American carriers and then some still.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 10:42 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by oneworld82
Don't exaggerate, please. BA First class is perfectly acceptable and J, while cramped, beats in service all North American carriers and then some still.
I would disagree. BA J seat is a generation behind most other airlines, including the US big 3. There are so many people crammed into the J cabin that service is rushed. The food is meh, the liquor and wine is OK. I honestly don't know why anyone would pick BA metal if they had another option.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA Fool's Gold
The Finnair flights that book into J should credit to American as 150% EQM and a healthy 40% of total flight distance for EQD, correct?
GTITAN likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by The_Just
The Finnair flights that book into J should credit to American as 150% EQM and a healthy 40% of total flight distance for EQD, correct?
Yes, if you book a full J fare on AY its 1.5 EQM and 40% EQD.
GTITAN and The_Just like this.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 6:18 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Yes, that's the way it worked for me when I did it earlier this year. There was an AY marketed segment on BA metal that also credited the same.
I was in an upstairs exit row (on a B747) in BA business and found it perfectly acceptable for LHR-JFK. The other segments (JFK-HEL-SIN-HEL-LHR) were all on AY. AY's product and service on the A350 is pretty nice.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA Fool's Gold
Originally Posted by aztimm
Yes, that's the way it worked for me when I did it earlier this year. There was an AY marketed segment on BA metal that also credited the same.
I was in an upstairs exit row (on a B747) in BA business and found it perfectly acceptable for LHR-JFK. The other segments (JFK-HEL-SIN-HEL-LHR) were all on AY. AY's product and service on the A350 is pretty nice.
That sounds perfect to me. My favorite seat is that upstairs rear facing back corner seat on the 747. And I have yet to be on an A350. I really want to work this as I have to fly to mainland China on the company dollar but its going to take somewhat of a sales pitch to the bean counters to explain the complicated itinerary as I am based out of So Cal. Out of curiousity what was your total haul in terms of EQM and EQD for the RT flight?
Old Sep 1, 2018, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by oneworld82
You must be joking. I’d rather take any of the US3 J than BA’s F. The poster above explained perfectly how outdated BA’s J seat is. It’s embarrasing that they shove that many passengers into one row. Especially recently where BA’s in Flight Service in both J and F have gone very downhill. Im not exaggerating when I say I’d take a mainland China carrier in J over BA (including F) anyday of the week. I just flew LHR-PHX on BA in F and was starving. They had no food or in flight snacks in the middle of the flight in F. I don’t even think I’ve ever seen that before in J let alone F! Flights over 10 hours always (especially in F) have hot “lite bites” or snacks on demand in F. It was totally unacceptable. The FA did her best to try and find something for me to eat between what she could find in J and whatever was lying around in F but it was off the very limited menu. She was actually really apologetic which I appreciated. She was a much older FA, very friendly, and you could tell she had been with the airline for a long time. She was obviously embarrassed by the offerings of what BA has turned into and mentioned how she was upset they took away the tea time offering in F.

Hainan J is 100x better than BA F. The bed is better, the food is better, the lounge is better, they have meals on demand. I would absolutely take them over BA F, and even with Hainan’s 2x2x2 layout. It’s a real shame because I have been flying BA for over a decade and have seen that airline just get worse and worse every year.

Frankly I would do my absolute best to avoid any BA segments in this itinerary because I want to arrive at my destination well rested, and not starving.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 9:48 am

All the fully AY itineraries I see on ITA matrix (i.e. YYZ-JFK-HEL-PKK/BKK) are all showing fare class I on AY which is only 125% on Alaska. Can anyone find fares that will earn the full 300%?CabinClass of serviceBase miles earnedClass of service bonusAdditional bonusBusiness J, C, D100%100%100% I 100% 25%
Old Sep 8, 2018, 11:15 am

Edited: Double-post from above

Last edited by akhenaton; Sep 8, 2018 at 11:16 am Reason: dbl-post
Old Sep 8, 2018, 8:58 pm

You can use ITA Matrix and specify J, C, or D class in your search. (F BC=D) It'll then give you the options in the higher cabin. I think D was $1000 more, iirc...
Old Sep 8, 2018, 10:07 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
Finnair flights J YYZ-PEK is NOT a FULL FARE, it is a discounted (which is why it is in this forum) I fare that flies in the J cabin so does not earn 40% EQD

It earns 150% EQM, it earns 100 + 25% miles, and it earns 25% EQD

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.