Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] Skyteam: DTW - CPT RT AI $2297 Expedia Package

[PREM FARE GONE] Skyteam: DTW - CPT RT AI $2297 Expedia Package

Old Sep 15, 2018, 6:30 pm

Programs: DL plat
Originally Posted by tiger_atl
Got it, thanks Still can't find anyplace to do a multistop search though.
You'll have to contact a travel agent. You may have to reach out to a few because this is quite complex and most are used to just booking jetblue to florida for grandma so this is quite outside the realm of normal quotation. As this fare is unpublished you will have to spoonfeed all the info to them so it's best to find the proper availability beforehand. It took a few tries to find a travel agent more knowledgeable than the average fter but once I did it was great. Now I have a travel agent who I can rely on for complex itineraries as I am not one myself.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 9:33 am

Location: Birmingham, AL (weekdays) and Atlanta, GA (weekends)
Programs: DL Platinum Medallion
I just booked April 3-14 ATL-CPT on Expedia for ~$2500 and it ticketed on Delta. I went to my account on Delta.com to confirm.

24 hours to decide if I'm gonna do it!

I bought the deluxe travel insurance; we'll see if that was a good move.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 10:30 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
Originally Posted by BostonGuy
I just booked April 3-14 ATL-CPT on Expedia for ~$2500 and it ticketed on Delta. I went to my account on Delta.com to confirm.

24 hours to decide if I'm gonna do it!

I bought the deluxe travel insurance; we'll see if that was a good move.
as a DL plat you can get some significant RDM MQM and MQD benefit by booking this as KLM/AF flight numbers but crediting to your delta account.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 3:59 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, DL Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by angra
as a DL plat you can get some significant RDM MQM and MQD benefit by booking this as KLM/AF flight numbers but crediting to your delta account.
I think the best way to maximize Delta RDM, MQM, and MQD is to book these flights as KLM flight numbers (even if on DL metal) and then credit to Delta Skymiles.
angra likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 7:29 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
Exactly - since previous poster mentioned he had 24 hours to commit, I thought I would throw out that info in case he was not aware. Maximizing DL benefit is not very intuitive at first.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 5:39 am

Location: Birmingham, AL (weekdays) and Atlanta, GA (weekends)
Programs: DL Platinum Medallion
Originally Posted by mchangmd
I think the best way to maximize Delta RDM, MQM, and MQD is to book these flights as KLM flight numbers (even if on DL metal) and then credit to Delta Skymiles.
I did NOT know that. I booked DL metal out of instinct. Thanks you two, I will cancel and rebook!
Old Sep 17, 2018, 8:24 am

As far as I understand, these are bulk fares so doesn't matter if via KLM or Delta, they should still earn based on the bulk fare chart. Is that not accurate?
Old Sep 17, 2018, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by alexj7
As far as I understand, these are bulk fares so doesn't matter if via KLM or Delta, they should still earn based on the bulk fare chart. Is that not accurate?
You are probably correct that the calculations for Delta RDM, MQM, and MQD would fall under the exception fare rules if the flights are booked using DL flight numbers. (https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...ion-fares.html ) However, I recently booked a Expedia package for LAX-PVG with one night hotel, thinking the DL flights would be counted as an exception fare since the package was booked through Expedia. Instead the RDM, MQM, and MQD were calculated in the standard fashion (as if booked directly through Delta). The flight to PVG was not deeply discounted like these flights to South Africa, so perhaps that's the reason this wasn't considered an exception fare. Why take a chance? Just book the flights using KLM or AF flight numbers.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 9:38 am

Is this a typical thing? Or is a complete fluke that this is cheaper as a package with Expedia? Just wondering.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 10:17 am

You are probably correct that the calculations for Delta RDM, MQM, and MQD would fall under the exception fare rules if the flights are booked using DL flight numbers. (https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...ion-fares.html ) However, I recently booked a Expedia package for LAX-PVG with one night hotel, thinking the DL flights would be counted as an exception fare since the package was booked through Expedia. Instead the RDM, MQM, and MQD were calculated in the standard fashion (as if booked directly through Delta). The flight to PVG was not deeply discounted like these flights to South Africa, so perhaps that's the reason this wasn't considered an exception fare. Why take a chance? Just book the flights using KLM or AF flight numbers.
Do you happen to know what the receipt showed? I booked this fare and it shows the cost as "IT" on the receipt, which means Delta's computers don't have the price paid for calculating MQD. It'd have to use the exception chart in this case.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by farbster
Is this a typical thing? Or is a complete fluke that this is cheaper as a package with Expedia? Just wondering.
It seems to be somewhat common, but this is a more extreme discount than usual. It isn't really a fluke since they are booking a bulk fare. I'm not an expert on how those work, but that explains the cheaper price when forcing a package booking.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by alexj7
Do you happen to know what the receipt showed? I booked this fare and it shows the cost as "IT" on the receipt, which means Delta's computers don't have the price paid for calculating MQD. It'd have to use the exception chart in this case.
Which receipt are you referring to? From Expedia?
In the case of my PVG trip, the booking showed up immediately on my Delta account. When I clicked on the receipt link for that reservation, a fare is displayed.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 10:46 am

Which receipt are you referring to? From Expedia?
In the case of my PVG trip, the booking showed up immediately on my Delta account. When I clicked on the receipt link for that reservation, a fare is displayed.
Yeah I meant on deltas website. Seems like that is why, since Delta had the fare paid. That said there is no way to know from Expedia if it is a bulk fare, though a larger discount probably hints at it.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by 15cats
You'll have to contact a travel agent. You may have to reach out to a few because this is quite complex and most are used to just booking jetblue to florida for grandma so this is quite outside the realm of normal quotation. As this fare is unpublished you will have to spoonfeed all the info to them so it's best to find the proper availability beforehand. It took a few tries to find a travel agent more knowledgeable than the average fter but once I did it was great. Now I have a travel agent who I can rely on for complex itineraries as I am not one myself.
Great suggestion. (Perhaps obvious once you have thought of it, but I hadn't.) Last newbie question: Is there a site to find Expedia TAAP agents, or does anyone have a good recommendation for an agent who can handle this?
Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:27 pm

A variation of this deal (or the same deal) still seems to be alive. I was doing some idle searching and found some dates to CPT and JNB still pricing along with lots of dates to NBO pricing from a wide variety of cities with a lot of different routings. This includes from my home airport of LAS. There's a variety of itineraries, some of which are one-stop in LHR or AMS and some of which are two-stop with a routing through a USA hub city and a layover in either AMS or CDG.

For a few examples. I saw the following:

- LAS - LAX - AMS - NBO - AMS - LAS; October 14 - 23, 2019; $2,584.13 per person on KL for the first leg and KL for the rest
- LAS - LHR - NBO - AMS - LAX; October 9 - 23, 2019; $2,606.50 per person on VS for the first leg, KQ on the second, and KL on the remainder

Both include a single throwaway night at the cheapest possible hotel and all business class flights. Previously, I was seeing these deals from various cities, including SLC among many others. If you're looking to go to Africa, it seems worth checking out. For comparison, Google flights has itineraries pricing at $5,700+ and $5,200+ per person, respectively, with less than ideal stops (in my opinion).

Last edited by nickohrn; Dec 3, 2018 at 9:39 pm Reason: Tried to produce clarity on possible itineraries

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.