Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

BA: LHR-CPT First £2025pp return (2 pax)

BA: LHR-CPT First £2025pp return (2 pax)

Old Jul 7, 18, 11:58 pm

I've jumped on the bandwagon as well, purely after seeing this thread and booked us up. The saving is huge over normal cost, and I also managed to get Business class domestic flights and car hire included for the price quoted in the thread title.

My only slight concern is point 11 in the terms and conditions above which states payment must be made in full. I booked through BA Holidays like mmxbreaks, which allows just a deposit to be paid now and the balance at later date, should I be worried/pay in full now (I'd really rather not at the moment)?

This will be the first time in BA First for us both. I looked at outbound via JNB as suggested however the extra cost just wasn't justifiable
Old Jul 8, 18, 3:01 am

Programs: BA Gold
Iíve also just booked this! However we are routing via JNB on the outbound (just to experience F on the A380, and the CCR at T5). Itís our first First so really excited!
raporot and Justin Case like this.
Old Jul 8, 18, 6:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by wcel View Post
I've jumped on the bandwagon as well, purely after seeing this thread and booked us up. The saving is huge over normal cost, and I also managed to get Business class domestic flights and car hire included for the price quoted in the thread title.

My only slight concern is point 11 in the terms and conditions above which states payment must be made in full. I booked through BA Holidays like mmxbreaks, which allows just a deposit to be paid now and the balance at later date, should I be worried/pay in full now (I'd really rather not at the moment)?

This will be the first time in BA First for us both. I looked at outbound via JNB as suggested however the extra cost just wasn't justifiable
I wouldn't worry about it. It's a deposit for an agreed price. I won't be paying balance until end of Jan payday, around five weeks prior to travel.

Also, do you have oneworld status? You can access Cathay First with Emerald which is very good... Arguably better than CCR in some respects. Plus no train to satellite to worry about.

Tier points to CPT also greater than JNB (240, not 210), so you're only missing out on 10TP by missing the Comair connection (which is poor anyway).
Old Jul 8, 18, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by mmxbreaks View Post
I won't be paying balance until end of Jan payday
Glad to hear it, that is my plan also

do you have oneworld status? You can access Cathay First with Emerald which is very good
Only Silver, does that mean we won't be able to access CX First? I'd thought travelling on First tickets, that would grant us access there? It is something I'll research further into as the time gets nearer but the lounge experience is a big part of travel for us when in premium cabin so would want to maximise what we can

Tier points to CPT also greater than JNB (240, not 210)
We'll earn 580TP from our booking thanks to the domestic connection. Unfortunately it's still not enough to get Gold as my BA travel past that trip is questionable
Old Jul 8, 18, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA CCR, A3 G, Aclub Plat, Hilton D, IC Plat Amb, Starwood G, blablablah, etc
We'll earn 580TP from our booking thanks to the domestic connection. Unfortunately it's still not enough to get Gold as my BA travel past that trip is questionable
Do you mean you have additional connections from another UK airport in addition to the JNB-CPT? LHR-JNB-CPT return in first should earn you just 500TPs (210+40)
Old Jul 8, 18, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic View Post
Do you mean you have additional connections from another UK airport in addition to the JNB-CPT? LHR-JNB-CPT return in first should earn you just 500TPs (210+40)
Sorry if I confused you. We are not doing the JNB detour as we didn't feel it was worth paying the extra for, just to sample the CCR and BA A380 and endure the inconvenience of an extra airport connection.

So yes, we have UK domestic connection and then LHR-CPT direct
Old Jul 8, 18, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA CCR, A3 G, Aclub Plat, Hilton D, IC Plat Amb, Starwood G, blablablah, etc
Sorry if I confused you. We are not doing the JNB detour as we didn't feel it was worth paying the extra for, just to sample the CCR and BA A380 and endure the inconvenience of an extra airport connection.

So yes, we have UK domestic connection and then LHR-CPT direct
I'm still not clear how that comes up to 580 then (480+whatever you get for the domestic? 10 return from cheapest to 80 return if you are among the people who unlike me believe that CE on domestic flights is worth it! )
Old Jul 8, 18, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic View Post
I'm still not clear how that comes up to 580 then
I have just checked the booking and you're correct, its 560 not 580. Serves me right for thinking my memory is better than it actually is

Only reasons I think CE was worth it for this trip is because it allows the carrying over of the First luggage allowance to the domestic flight so 96kg checked luggage each (not that we will be packing the kitchen sink) and allowed the complete booking to be on one PNR so any issues with delays or cancellations means we're protected to an extent, and luggage will be through checked at LHR so we don't have to reclaim it, move terminals and then check in again,

The price difference of tagging on economy domestic inc baggage flights purchased separately and paying for CE was not much, and offers much greater peace of mind for a trouble free trip
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jul 8, 18, 12:29 pm

Glad to hear it, that is my plan also

Only Silver, does that mean we won't be able to access CX First? I'd thought travelling on First tickets, that would grant us access there? It is something I'll research further into as the time gets nearer but the lounge experience is a big part of travel for us when in premium cabin so would want to maximise what we can

Re: the OW Sapphire / BA Silver status: you can access the Cathay lounge, just not the First section to my understanding. It's still excellent though: long dimsum bar, lots of space, manned bar, plus self service food and drinks.
I'd actually recommend that you do a little T3 lounge tour. Your status allows that Cathay lounge (best food/comfort), the Qantas lounge next door (good gin selection, but it's typically dead until the Sydney flight passengers are there), the BA First lounge due to your ticket (er, there's Champs and there is to-order dining... but it is, let's say, average). You could go into the AA lounge too, but it's **** so only worth it if you're genuinely curious to see how behind the curve American is (one drink token pp and no proper food).
Allow yourself 3-4 hours airside to dabble between them all. Each is a 90 second walk from the next. Settle on your fave (I'm calling Cathay) and set up shop there. There's no gate call though (except in BA lounge, as it's a BA flight) so prepare for an up-to-20min walk, set an alarm reminder, and be promptly there for boarding so you can enjoy your seat.
Have fun!
​​​​​​
Old Jul 8, 18, 1:57 pm

Programs: Hilton Silver
Re: the OW Sapphire / BA Silver status: you can access the Cathay lounge, just not the First section to my understanding. It's still excellent though: long dimsum bar, lots of space, manned bar, plus self service food and drinks.
I'd actually recommend that you do a little T3 lounge tour. Your status allows that Cathay lounge (best food/comfort), the Qantas lounge next door (good gin selection, but it's typically dead until the Sydney flight passengers are there), the BA First lounge due to your ticket (er, there's Champs and there is to-order dining... but it is, let's say, average). You could go into the AA lounge too, but it's **** so only worth it if you're genuinely curious to see how behind the curve American is (one drink token pp and no proper food).
Allow yourself 3-4 hours airside to dabble between them all. Each is a 90 second walk from the next. Settle on your fave (I'm calling Cathay) and set up shop there. There's no gate call though (except in BA lounge, as it's a BA flight) so prepare for an up-to-20min walk, set an alarm reminder, and be promptly there for boarding so you can enjoy your seat.
Have fun!
​​​​​​
You can access the first class section of the CX lounge assuming that you have the BA F ticket to CPT? With your BA F boarding pass you can access all the OW F lounges in T3 so its only the CX and BA lounge since Qantas didn't have a first section.
Old Jul 8, 18, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by lloydje33 View Post
You can access the first class section of the CX lounge assuming that you have the BA F ticket to CPT? With your BA F boarding pass you can access all the OW F lounges in T3 so its only the CX and BA lounge since Qantas didn't have a first section.
Didn't realise that...! In which case go there, sit down for dinner, have a three course safe in the knowledge there's nothing better at T3.
Old Jul 8, 18, 4:51 pm

Didn't realise that...! In which case go there, sit down for dinner, have a three course safe in the knowledge there's nothing better at T3.
excellent advice so thanks guys

We have 6 hrs between flights so fully intend to lounge hop and saviour the experience

Back to original topic, I priced up the flights roughly a month before and a month after the offer and they come back at around £11k
Old Jul 9, 18, 2:08 am

Just bit the bullet and got a week in March for ~£3800 (was 3550 direct but decided to go out on the A380).

Can anyone advise on the best seats for a couple on both the 747 and the A380? I've heard that 1A/K is pretty decent on the 747 - would that be recommended over a pair of middle seats? And is this also the case for the A380?

Thanks
Old Jul 9, 18, 3:07 am

Originally Posted by brokenspirit View Post
Just bit the bullet and got a week in March for ~£3800 (was 3550 direct but decided to go out on the A380).

Can anyone advise on the best seats for a couple on both the 747 and the A380? I've heard that 1A/K is pretty decent on the 747 - would that be recommended over a pair of middle seats? And is this also the case for the A380?

Thanks
1A&K on 747 are in the nose, so while they're separate they're also similar to a pair and you can see one another. Obvious alternative, minus window to look out, is 4/5 E&F.

A380 is hugely different. 1A&K are opposite sides of the plane, divided by walls (well, it's a staircase up). People rave about them, but they're the worst seats for couples here and, in my experience, the cupboard on the K side almost always squeaks which, for me, makes other window seats preferable. As a couple you're ultimately looking at 2/3/4 E&F in the middle again, which has a retractable divider so you can wave at one another and do a bit of Lady And The Tramp.

If you want a window seat then select something like 2A&3A, as First has the capacity to dine with companion in one seat (although it's a little tight, so you may choose to not). Service is also divided into l/r sides, so you'll get consistent service from one staff member rather than sometimes out-of-sync service from two members of staff (small thing, but people find this frustrating).

Note: on the 747 seat 5F and on the A380 seat 4F is the only one of each that can accommodate an infant. I'd avoid this row in case it becomes essential to 1. move your seat to accommodate someone with a young passenger; 2. it's nearer the galley so noisier; 3. young'uns can also be noisy - so it's my preference to add distance.

Both flights are overnight, so you'll likely be asleep for 7hrs of it, thus not sitting directly next to one another is something worth exploring in one direction in my opinion, to see how you like it.

Last edited by mmxbreaks; Jul 9, 18 at 4:40 am Reason: Some differences to adjust
Old Jul 9, 18, 4:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold
1A&K on 747 are in the nose, so while they're separate they're also similar to a pair and you can see one another. Obvious alternative, minus window to look out, is 4/5 E&F.

A380 is hugely different. 1A&K are opposite sides of the plane, divided by walls (well, it's a staircase up). People rave about them, but they're the worst seats for couples here and, in my experience, the cupboard on the K side almost always squeaks which, for me, makes other window seats preferable. As a couple you're ultimately looking at 4/5 E&F in the middle again, which has a retractable divider so you can wave at one another and do a bit of Lady And The Tramp.

If you want a window seat then select something like 2A&3A, as First has the capacity to dine with companion in one seat (although it's a little tight, so you may choose to not). Service is also divided into l/r sides, so you'll get consistent service from one staff member rather than sometimes out-of-sync service from two members of staff (small thing, but people find this frustrating).

Note: on both planes 5F is the only seat that can accommodate an infant. I'd avoid this row in case it becomes essential to 1. move your seat to accommodate someone with a young passenger; 2. it's nearer the galley so noisier; 3. young'uns can also be noisy - so it's my preference to add distance.

Both flights are overnight, so you'll likely be asleep for 7hrs of it, thus not sitting directly next to one another is something worth exploring in one direction in my opinion, to see how you like it.
The centre pairs on the A380 are 2/3/4 E&F. We had 2E&F recently and found them to be excellent seats. The crew usually serve/take orders from the front so you may have a better chance of getting the items you want.

I would go for 1 A&K on the 747 as they feel really private, you both get a window and you are close enough to talk reasonably easily. I believe they are reserved for BAEC Golds though until nearer the time when they may open up if not taken.

Overall we much preferred the A380, the seat is far more spacious. The food also tasted much better. This may have been due to the catering being from London instead of an outstation but I also heard the A380 is more modern ovens?

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: