Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

$1,300 One Way (Biz) India-EWR (SIA Longest Flight)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$1,300 One Way (Biz) India-EWR (SIA Longest Flight)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2020, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by jbalmuth
I flew this (SQ22) last month, and regretted it. The bent-knee angle required for sleeping, the absence of anywhere at all to walk to from one's seat (SQ's version of the A359 is remarkably cramped and amenity-free), and the strange meal service (the primary meal is at 01:30 - 02:00 am, and no breakfast items are offered on the printed menus) left me wanting to avoid this flight in the future. Literally the only highlight was arriving at EWR at 05:30, thereby avoiding traffic into NYC...(assuming of course that the flight arrives on time, CBP is fully staffed, and your car service shows up). Unless you need to spend a day or two in Singapore, the alternative routings from AMD to NYC i.e. flying via DOH/DXB/AUH now appear so much more attractive in comparison. YMMV
The AMD -> SIN-> FRA -> JFK also has similar pricing (about $56 more) - though I believe the best pricing does require a long layover at FRA - uses SQ326 (777-300ER) for SIN to FRA w/ nearly 12 hour layover overnight then getting SQ26 to join that A380-800 from FRA to JFK. They don't seem to like to give the SQ26 from SIN to JFK option that avoids long layover.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by jbalmuth
IUnless you need to spend a day or two in Singapore, some alternative routings from AMD to NYC i.e. flying via DOH/DXB/AUH now appear so much more attractive in comparison. YMMV
But are you paying $1450-1600 (or so) one way? I'd be completely receptive to taking EK India-SEA (even in 2-3-2 J seating 777s, lol), or CX (QR and EY not so much since they don't serve SEA, an additional flight from LAX or wherever in a narrowbody is a non-starter after that much flying) at those prices. Nobody I'm seeing is touching that fare- there were some AF fares for hundreds more, but I'm not so keen on trading SIN for CDG on a connection (and trading AS Mileage Plan miles for Delta SkyPesos™), and paying more for the privilege. I flew the non-ULH SQ A359 in the bulkhead at 19K on one of those fares and thought it was entirely enjoyable (SQ's IFE is pretty dynamite, the seat was fine, BTC lobster thermidor and laksa hit the spot, pulled of 6-7 hours of sleep which is all I can ask for in J: nice movies, good seat, plenty of room, good food).

No, it's not the A380 bar on EK or showers or QR Qsuites but I don't see CX or BR putting bars and showers in their planes either (and that's often my other alternatives to get to/from S Asia/India).

YMMV is right though, that J seat does seem to get a lot of grief in the SQ forum. Not from me but enough people dislike it enough to have a nice long rant session about it.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Feb 21, 2020 at 10:55 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.