Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

$1,300 One Way (Biz) India-EWR (SIA Longest Flight)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$1,300 One Way (Biz) India-EWR (SIA Longest Flight)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2018, 8:41 am

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
Originally Posted by margarita girl
I will make sure to get an eVisa based on the comments on this thread. Does anyone know if eVisa is valid for more than one entry? I will be returning to India 2 weeks later and staying a couple of days.
e-Visa is mandatory double entry these days. I forget the validity, maybe 30 or 60 days.

Note it can only be applied for online a minimum of four calender days in advance (even though requirement is 72 hr processing)
Old Dec 25, 2018, 5:23 pm

I'm currently in Singapore on the full day layover. All I can say about Ahmedabad is LOL. The reason I asked up thread about the Indian visa is they seem to require an address where you'll be staying and for those of you who are making the quick in and out turn around I was wondering what you guys were doing.

Anyways I positioned like this: BKK-DEL-AMD on Air India. and then AMD-SIN-EWR leaving a couple hours after I arrived in AMD. Well when I arrived at DEL they didn't require I go through customs since the flight to AMD leaves from International Terminal and they told me to go through the Transfer area and not through passport control.

Well when I arrived in AMD they were NOT happy. I went to the eVisa desk after attempting to go through regular passport control and after carefully examining my boarding passes and visa the guy called over several customs officers to examine it with him. I asked him whats wrong and he said "You were supposed to clear immigration in Delhi!" They then told me to sit down and wait. Meanwhile no less than six angry looking officers were examining my passport, visa and itinerary while stealing occasional glances my way. After about 15 nerve-racking minutes, they call me over and ask me the question we've all be asked dozens of times "Why you travel to New York in such a crazy way?!" I laughed and told them "they'll never understand."

Also, make sure to print out your Itinerary that clearly shows your name and flight date if you want to get back in the airport. Yes you must go outside after clearing customs and come back in through the Departures
Old Dec 25, 2018, 8:07 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Originally Posted by GS1000
I'm currently in Singapore on the full day layover. All I can say about Ahmedabad is LOL. The reason I asked up thread about the Indian visa is they seem to require an address where you'll be staying and for those of you who are making the quick in and out turn around I was wondering what you guys were doing.

Anyways I positioned like this: BKK-DEL-AMD on Air India. and then AMD-SIN-EWR leaving a couple hours after I arrived in AMD. Well when I arrived at DEL they didn't require I go through customs since the flight to AMD leaves from International Terminal and they told me to go through the Transfer area and not through passport control.

Well when I arrived in AMD they were NOT happy. I went to the eVisa desk after attempting to go through regular passport control and after carefully examining my boarding passes and visa the guy called over several customs officers to examine it with him. I asked him whats wrong and he said "You were supposed to clear immigration in Delhi!" They then told me to sit down and wait. Meanwhile no less than six angry looking officers were examining my passport, visa and itinerary while stealing occasional glances my way. After about 15 nerve-racking minutes, they call me over and ask me the question we've all be asked dozens of times "Why you travel to New York in such a crazy way?!" I laughed and told them "they'll never understand."

Also, make sure to print out your Itinerary that clearly shows your name and flight date if you want to get back in the airport. Yes you must go outside after clearing customs and come back in through the Departures
Funny story!

having gone through Indian customs many times this certainly is not surprising!

while you should have cleared in DEL that was DELs fault. Though it is understandable since many flights within India still have international and domestic passengers cleared seperately but on the same plane.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 9:48 pm

Happy Holidays, GS1000. Thanks for sharing.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 3:13 am

Originally Posted by nov11
You can't enter the airport if you flight leaves in 7 hours (check-in usually opens 3 hours before). There will be guards checking your e-ticket (make sure to print one out) and only lets you through if you are departing within 3 hours.
Here are few updates

1) The connecting tunnel from Domestic to International Airport is locked and only opens at 7PM ( ie either you take tuk tuk for 50Rs ) or walk
2) I was able to get in International Airport 6 Hrs before the flight the guard didn't say anything. But in the end it didn't matter where I had to wait as Singapore staff only arrives 4 Hrs before the flight
3) I had lot of luggage otherwise I would have explored the city
4) Both airports have lot of chairs to wait but nothing else
5) Once you enter the international terminal you cannot leave. ... is with that ? I wanted to go out and eat but the guard refused to let me out ?
Old Dec 30, 2018, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by jbfield

e-Visa is mandatory double entry these days. I forget the validity, maybe 30 or 60 days.

Note it can only be applied for online a minimum of four calender days in advance (even though requirement is 72 hr processing)
eVisa valid for 60 days. They've upped the price. When I was there in March, it was $50 (for Canadians), now $80.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 11:33 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Originally Posted by Zombie123
Here are few updates

1) The connecting tunnel from Domestic to International Airport is locked and only opens at 7PM ( ie either you take tuk tuk for 50Rs ) or walk
2) I was able to get in International Airport 6 Hrs before the flight the guard didn't say anything. But in the end it didn't matter where I had to wait as Singapore staff only arrives 4 Hrs before the flight
3) I had lot of luggage otherwise I would have explored the city
4) Both airports have lot of chairs to wait but nothing else
5) Once you enter the international terminal you cannot leave. ... is with that ? I wanted to go out and eat but the guard refused to let me out ?
re: #5 this is standard OP in India.

if you exit the secure area after checking in / depositing luggage (usually quite difficult) you will have to get a new boarding pass and all he’ll will ensue. (Personal experience)

supposedly this is is supposed to stop people switching identities but I think it’s due to the generally ineffective nature of Indian airport screening. They know their screening sucks, so they layer on rules and regulations galore instead.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by Bonaventure

re: #5 this is standard OP in India.

if you exit the secure area after checking in / depositing luggage (usually quite difficult) you will have to get a new boarding pass and all he’ll will ensue. (Personal experience)

supposedly this is is supposed to stop people switching identities but I think it’s due to the generally ineffective nature of Indian airport screening. They know their screening sucks, so they layer on rules and regulations galore instead.
I still had my luggage and the boarding process didn't begin. He said ask a Singapore airline staff to come and give permission. That didn't make any sense as Singapore Airline staff was not there.. Though he was nice enough to ask someone else outside to take my money and get me some snacks lol
Old Dec 31, 2018, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
I am planning to travel to Asia and back with just a bag on my back. Quick stopover in NRT and SIN, a few days on the ground in DEL and a short flight to AMD.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 12:38 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Fare Rule query

I'd appreciate pro advise regarding SQ's policy about date changes after travel begins.

Our purchased AMD - JFK tickets were issued with multi-day stopovers in both SIN and FRA, and my specific query is in regard to extending (for several months) the stopover in SIN, and then continuing to JFK using the same flights (i.e. same routing), same class of service (D), with only a change of dates irt the two subsequent flights. The fare basis of the tickets is D15IIOA2, and the tickets were purchased on SQ's website.

Before reaching out to Singapore Airlines, I presumed that the costs for a date change after travel initiates (i.e. flying AMD - JFK as ticketed, and then requesting the date changes for the subsequent flights) would be calculated as: 1. the stated USD 250 penalty per ticket for ticket reissues/revalidations, 2. the stated USD 25 service fee for any ticket reissues/revalidations through a SQ/MI ticket office, 3. changes to airport and custom fees associated with the as-yet unflown flights (i.e. in Singapore, Germany and the US), and 4. changes due to the then current FX rates between INR and the purchase currency. I specifically presumed that after travel initiates that there would be NO change in the base airfare, assuming inventory availability (in D class) on the new dates.

I've attempted to communicate with SQ via phone and email, and have received an email communication from a local (U.S. based) Singapore Airlines office stating:
please allow us to clarify that fares are dynamic and may change from
time to time. This is also applicable to half flown tickets. Hence, even if same booking class
is available on the date that you would like to travel and no re-routing will be involved, there
will still be a possibility of a fare difference to be collected on the date change that you would
like to make on your ticket.

I'm utterly confused about this communication, and request advise from regular SQ flyers about whether you believe this communication to be accurate information. If it is, I would appreciate your thoughts on how this would actually work --- i.e. what fare basis and base fare amount might be used when recalculating the "dynamic" fare (fwiw, I purchased the AMD - JFK D15IIOA2 fare on 25 October 2018, and the first flight AMD - SIN is not scheduled until 26 September 2019). Given the vagaries of "dynamic pricing", does this mean that there is no benefit to waiting until after the first flight is taken to make the proposed date changes? Given that the base fare, INR 90,800, and associated 12% Goods and Services tax, INR 10,896, for my original itinerary are the same today as on the original date of purchase, is it even necessary to retain the date of travel of the first segment, or identical routing of the subsequent segments? I understand that the fare is nonrefundable, but is it simply the case that with payment of the $250 penalty and $25 service fee that I can apply the value of the purchased tickets to any other Singapore Airlines itinerary that I now wish to ticket --- that there's no particular benefit, nor need, to keeping any aspect of the AMD - SIN - FRA - JFK ticket intact?

TIA for help from all who have practical or professional insight into how the change rules of this fare are meant to be interpreted.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 11:08 am

on which OTAs is possible to bought tickets? On SQ websites possible to buy only with AMD-BOM leg additionally.

Last edited by raporot; Jan 14, 2019 at 2:23 pm
Old Jan 14, 2019, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by raporot
on which OTAs is possible to bought tickets? On SQ websites only with AMD-BOM flight additionally.
I bought mine on Cleartrip.com as mentioned by others here. I’m not sure what your second sentence means. There is no verb.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 1:33 am

Extract of fare rules

For ticketing on/after 20jan18
in the event of changes to ticketed flights
anytime within ticket validity
certain domestic reissue provisions may be
overridden by those of sq international fares
charge usd 250.00 or highest fee of all fare
components and
reprice
a. Before journey departure use fares in effect
today
b. After journey departure use historical fares
based on travel commencement
provided all of the following conditions are met-
1. When no intl coupons remain - all new travel
must be domestic
2. Fully flown fare not repriced to further point
3. Change is before original scheduled flight
4. Mi/sq fares are used
5. Public fares are used if ticketed fare is in
public tariff. Private fares are used if ticketed
fare is in private tariff
6. New tkt has equal or higher value than previous
tkt
7. Adv res is measured from new tkt issue date if
current fares/from previous tkt issue date if
historical fares to departure of pricing unit
Old Jan 19, 2019, 5:33 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP Gold
Anyone have experience working with Cleartrip to change dates? Looking to change due to the CX flash sale.
Called a few times and they can't find any availability in any fare class for the dates I mention, even though seats are available on SQ website.
Is it just a case of poorly trained agents or do they see less inventory?
Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by ft543
Anyone have experience working with Cleartrip to change dates? Looking to change due to the CX flash sale.
Called a few times and they can't find any availability in any fare class for the dates I mention, even though seats are available on SQ website.
Is it just a case of poorly trained agents or do they see less inventory?
Typically agents working at most OTAs are reluctant to touch tickets with more than just a simple round-trip or one-way itinerary. They might just be making an excuse. Have you independently checked the dates you are looking for are available for a new ticket?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.