Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

BA: AMS-BKK - Business Class $1,685 RT - Limited Dates

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA: AMS-BKK - Business Class $1,685 RT - Limited Dates

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2018, 3:24 am

Programs: BA gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Paolo1972
Hi all
Looking at going to the Canton Fair in April 19 and can do the AMS-LHR-BKK then get a flight to Canton, priced at £1662.
However, going from LON-BKK is an extra £800 ish.
Can I book the AMS route but just turn uo at LHR and check in and board there or is there a penalty clause somewhere.
Apologies if this is basic stuff.

Paul
if you would not show up for your flight in Amsterdam your ticket will be voided, and you will not be able to take any of the other flights in the booking
Old Sep 14, 2018, 4:36 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by stijnec
if you would not show up for your flight in Amsterdam your ticket will be voided, and you will not be able to take any of the other flights in the booking
this is what I was worried about, its a shame that BA cannot give its own UK customers such great deals, shame on them

many thanks for your reply, appreciated
Old Sep 15, 2018, 5:16 am

this is what I was worried about, its a shame that BA cannot give its own UK customers such great deals, shame on them
It doesn't need to. It is all supply and demand.

Check KL/LH/LX/AF direct prices out of their respective hubs, and you'll see that they don't offer "deals".
Great_circle likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 8:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
its a shame that BA cannot give its own UK customers such great deals, shame on them
I’m no fan of BA, but I’m afraid your ‘shame’ comment shows a fundamental lack of understanding of how airlines price airfares.

If you don’t need to travel until April 2019 - and assuming you’re talking about the INCEU60 AMS BKK fare - you might wish to wait until the new year to see if QR have an ex-EU sale. Of course, even the AMS BKK BA fare allows a HKG stopover, if this better suits your needs re: Canton.

Old Sep 16, 2018, 1:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold-Virgin Gold-Delta MM-Hilton Diamond-Hyatt Globalist-Marriott Gold-IHG Plat Amb-Accor Nobody
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
A little GUF using a TA thrown in and you are in a good earner...
Could you expand on this ? I can find a suitable AMS - LHR - HKG - BKK - SIN - LHR - AMS for $1,915.
https://goo.gl/flights/rcmDv

If I use a TA (Amex Travel ?) and one of my GUF's (subject to space availability, I may even have a spare joker), I'll get 1st on LHR-HKG & SIN-LHR with BA. Will I also get 1st based TP & Avios ? (Sorry, I've never used a GUF with a TA).
Old Sep 17, 2018, 12:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hh Gold, NH*G, SPGP, SQ-CC
Originally Posted by BritBoyInFL
Could you expand on this ? I can find a suitable AMS - LHR - HKG - BKK - SIN - LHR - AMS for $1,915.
https://goo.gl/flights/rcmDv

If I use a TA (Amex Travel ?) and one of my GUF's (subject to space availability, I may even have a spare joker), I'll get 1st on LHR-HKG & SIN-LHR with BA. Will I also get 1st based TP & Avios ? (Sorry, I've never used a GUF with a TA).
If you use your GUF with a TA, yes you will get F accruals. This does not hold for bookings made with BA
Old Sep 17, 2018, 6:29 am

Programs: BA Gold-Virgin Gold-Delta MM-Hilton Diamond-Hyatt Globalist-Marriott Gold-IHG Plat Amb-Accor Nobody
Originally Posted by tycosiao
If you use your GUF with a TA, yes you will get F accruals. This does not hold for bookings made with BA
Thanks. I searched for TA/GUF companies and have only found reference to Propeller (I'll give them a call later). I did call Amex Travel this morning and they said they CAN'T upgrade with a GUF ! Did I just get unlucky on the rep or has something changed, as others has referenced Amex Travel as a TA that could upgrade with a GUF ?

[Edit]
Just stumbled on relevant information that the ONLY guaranteed benefit of booking via a TA is it books in to a revenue class. Where as with BA you need Avios availability ? There are also comments that some people 'lucked out' by getting TP/Avios for the upgraded class when booked via TA in revenue, but this is not guaranteed and should be looked on as a fortunate bonus. With all of that in mind, and as I have a Joker available, it looks like I'll just book with BA.

Last edited by BritBoyInFL; Sep 17, 2018 at 6:36 am Reason: Extra Info
Old Sep 19, 2018, 7:34 am

OK, ready to pull the trigger on this, but ......

I have AMS-LHR-HKG-BKK-SIN-LHR-AMS for May 2019, using a GUF for the LHR-HKG & SIN-LHR, avoiding the shabby 777 LHR-BKK-LHR. Some extra TP going this way and the LHR-AMS is for the day after arriving in LHR, so I may consider dumping this last sector for a 'family emergency'. So a pretty decent trip/value.

BUT, at +/- $1,750, I'm wondering should I just wait for a QR sale, from anywhere in Europe (no problem with Avios positioning) and get the benefit of QR business, may be a QSuite, probably more TP (4 x 140 potentially) and save my GUF ? QR seems to run pretty regular sales.

Is the BA/CX fare code from AMS seasonal, could it be pulled any time, or is it available more often than not ?

What do the learned ones at FT think ?
Old Sep 19, 2018, 10:51 am

Programs: BA GGL, IB, LH, IHG Gold

BUT, at +/- $1,750, I'm wondering should I just wait for a QR sale, from anywhere in Europe (no problem with Avios positioning) and get the benefit of QR business, may be a QSuite, probably more TP (4 x 140 potentially) and save my GUF ? QR seems to run pretty regular sales.
Even in “sales” QR is not the QR of old. No telling if they will run anything close to their GBP 1K-1.2K ex-EU. Not looking likely if 2018 YTD is any indication.

Is the BA/CX fare code from AMS seasonal, could it be pulled any time, or is it available more often than not ?

What do the learned ones at FT think ?
Always available, 60 day advance purchase. Could be pulled anytime, yet quite longstanding - nearly 2 years in the current version.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by ubiest

Even in “sales” QR is not the QR of old. No telling if they will run anything close to their GBP 1K-1.2K ex-EU. Not looking likely if 2018 YTD is any indication.

Always available, 60 day advance purchase. Could be pulled anytime, yet quite longstanding - nearly 2 years in the current version.
Thanks, I think I'll set tight at least until the end of the year and see if anything comes up with QF. If not, I have a Joker 'spare' so should be no problem to revert to original plans.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 1:12 pm

You can find nearly all year round for around 1500€ : SOF>SIN, PRG>CNX and HEL>BKK to name a few. ( checked random dates on Kayak and all work )
Old Sep 20, 2018, 1:05 am

Programs: BA Gold
that is exactly why I asked the question, but thanks for pointing out my lack of
Old Sep 20, 2018, 12:34 pm

that is exactly why I asked the question, but thanks for pointing out my lack of
"lack of ...." an end of sentence or reason for the post ?
Great_circle likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 4:02 am

Hi all,
I booked that fare with a layover just little less then 24h in HKG. My plans changed and I do not need the layover anymore. Has anybody personal experience how CX reacts if asking in HKG at the transfer desk for an earlier connection to BKK?

On rewards tickets CX was so far always kind with me to change my tickets if showing up at the airport.

Many thanks and kind regars,
bivinco
Old Oct 2, 2018, 5:28 am

Programs: BAEC back to silver, Flying Blue Silver
Indeed QR sales aren’t what they used to be. If the 4 x 140 TP’s is important you might try RJ AMS->AMM->BKK->AMM->AMS. Just booked one for about 1450,- euros. No stopovers permitted however.
I was on their dreamliner 4 years ago (my B787 ‘initiation’) and it was a lot more comfy than BA club. Not as easy to find though as they aren’t doing AMS-AMM on a daily basis.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.