FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Premium Fare Deals (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premium-fare-deals-740/)
-   -   BA: AMS-BKK - Business Class $1,685 RT - Limited Dates (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premium-fare-deals/1916354-ba-ams-bkk-business-class-1-685-rt-limited-dates.html)

CX_newbie Aug 20, 2018 9:04 pm

Has anyone been able to add a LHR stopover on the way back? Presume this wouldn't add too much APD as the next flight is to AMS.

GGLwannabe Aug 21, 2018 12:59 am

Originally Posted by CX_newbie (Post 30108233)
Has anyone been able to add a LHR stopover on the way back? Presume this wouldn't add too much APD as the next flight is to AMS.

I'm currently on my LHR stopover. I arrived back from HKG, having gone out via SIN.

Reward availability wasn't great, so I used a joker along with my GUF to force an upgrade to First (which sadly is no longer the experience it used to be) on the long haul legs.

I am using my final inbound flight to AMS, along with the return half of my positioning flight to give me a mini break (to be taken in Leeuwarden) in mid-November.

From memory this added around £100 to the cost; part of this is an additional stopover charge, and the remainder APD.

Ededdneddie Aug 21, 2018 4:49 am

Thank you :) I had a feeling I was being a bit wet

mikeyfly Aug 21, 2018 6:16 am

Originally Posted by Ededdneddie (Post 30109268)
Thank you :) I had a feeling I was being a bit wet

;)

Please do let us know if you get detained by the airline at Heathrow

Ededdneddie Aug 21, 2018 7:35 am

haha :eek: I'll make sure I 'go-pro' it and post it here, upon my release. :D

mediamonkey Aug 21, 2018 10:16 am

Okay. So what’s the deal with the Heathrow stopover? Can anyone enlighten me? I would love to not need to reposition back to AMS. But equally couldn’t mind going to AMS for a short break a month or so later.

Thanks

Frequent flyer 101 Aug 21, 2018 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by mediamonkey (Post 30110694)
Okay. So what’s the deal with the Heathrow stopover? Can anyone enlighten me? I would love to not need to reposition back to AMS. But equally couldn’t mind going to AMS for a short break a month or so later.

Thanks

You can book the last leg as LGW-AMS. This means a change of airports and thus, you have to collect your bags.

/Edit Misread sorry :)

sxc Aug 21, 2018 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by mediamonkey (Post 30110694)

Thanks

There are discussions here about this fare: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...l#post29235643

But essentially extra stopovers within europe cost EUR 100

mediamonkey Aug 22, 2018 12:34 am

Originally Posted by Frequent flyer 101 (Post 30112461)
You can book the last leg as LGW-AMS. This means a change of airports and thus, you have to collect your bags.

/Edit Misread sorry :)

This is actually interesting.... I could do this and then cancel the final leg. Good to know

mikeyfly Aug 22, 2018 12:53 am

Just booked the final leg from LGW or LCY if possible, Otherwise, add an overnight in LHR and get off the longhaul and walk out - losing 40TPs only.

Palmer Aug 22, 2018 11:01 am

I’m assuming that I can book this but over the phone with BA?

https://www.google.co.uk/flights/#fl...P;e:1;sd:1;t:s

For £1467 or thereabouts?

Palmer

JJBe Aug 23, 2018 2:36 am

Originally Posted by Great_circle (Post 29940113)

Exactly my goal, and while the fare rules make it possible to do a (very) long stopover in KUL and merely pass through ‘destination’ BKK it can only be booked when you ring up BA.
As I travel in the very beginning of a new TP collecting year anyway I decided to do it the easy way and book the 1441,- euros AMS-LHR-BKK-LHR-AMS fare and book BKK-KUL-BKK separately.

I was wondering what happens in this scenario - if you would go for AMS-KUL first and two weeks later for KUL-BKK and BKK-AMS on the same day (with say 3h in BKK to connect). In case you miss your connection in BKK, are you 'protected'? Will you need to collect luggage in BKK and check in separately for the BKK-AMS part (assuming this is one ticket)??

Any experiences?

JJBe

nufnuf77 Aug 23, 2018 2:40 am

Originally Posted by JJBe (Post 30118811)
I was wondering what happens in this scenario - if you would go for AMS-KUL first and two weeks later for KUL-BKK and BKK-AMS on the same day (with say 3h in BKK to connect). In case you miss your connection in BKK, are you 'protected'? Will you need to collect luggage in BKK and check in separately for the BKK-AMS part (assuming this is one ticket)??

Any experiences?

JJBe

It's one ticket, you are protected and no luggage can be checked to any onward destination within 24 hours. In fact MH, CX, JAL, NH all check to any airline they interline with even on separate tickets, unlike BA that does not do this for its passengers.

exactlyaron Aug 23, 2018 5:09 am

Hello all, just after a bit of assistance / suggestion with this.

I've managed to put together AMS-HKG-BKK-KUL-AMS for £1500 on Google Flights. With a good 4 days in each city.

I'd like to try and fit in SIN some how as part of a little SE Asia holiday, but I'm struggling to get it in the middle some where. I could use Avios and do a BKK-SIN return before the BKK-KUL.

GGLwannabe Aug 23, 2018 6:24 am

SIN is a lot closer to KUL than BKK, so why not do a KUL-SIN return, either on Avios, or on Air Asia for about £65 return.

OR fly back from SIN to AMS and do the short-haul trip from SIN-KUL. That would enable you to fly Cathay from BKK to SIN (wide body, lie-flat, as opposed to Malaysian's 737s)