FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Premium Fare Deals (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premium-fare-deals-740/)
-   -   AA Business (TransCon): LAX/SFO-JFK $659 o/w LayFlat Seat, lots of July availability (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premium-fare-deals/1913369-aa-business-transcon-lax-sfo-jfk-659-o-w-layflat-seat-lots-july-availability.html)

Erik Jacobsen Jun 8, 2018 1:25 pm

AA Business (TransCon): LAX/SFO-JFK $659 o/w LayFlat Seat, lots of July availability

I was looking at a red-eye from LAX-JFK in mid-July and I noticed that AA has their premium (Lay-Flat) Transcon product on sale from both SFO and LAX to JFK for $659. I was going to go with B6, bit AA was actually cheaper. (I prefer AA's product for sleeping, so this was a pleasant surprise.) Example: https://www.google.com/flights/#flt=...;sd:1;t:f;tt:o

It looks like there's at least some availablity almost every day from July 8 to July 31.

FOrgot to add, this is an I-class fare

nickohrn Jun 8, 2018 2:01 pm

What is the price usually like on this fare? I haven't flown AA transcontinental business but have flown transcontinental Mint - is AA really a better experience than Mint?

cbrown5294 Jun 8, 2018 5:26 pm

This fare has been around for quite some time. I did 4 or 5 in 2017, it was a great ride since I used some Biz extra to upgrade to FC.

oneworld82 Jun 8, 2018 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by nickohrn (Post 29845203)
What is the price usually like on this fare? I haven't flown AA transcontinental business but have flown transcontinental Mint - is AA really a better experience than Mint?

can’t comment on Mint, but AA transcon is a very solid product with decent food and wines plus top notch IFE.

Kacee Jun 8, 2018 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by cbrown5294 (Post 29845794)
This fare has been around for quite some time. I did 4 or 5 in 2017, it was a great ride since I used some Biz extra to upgrade to FC.

Yep. There's been a variant of this fare offered by all three legacies ever since B6 introduced Mint. It's been as low as $559.

SFO777 Jun 8, 2018 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by nickohrn (Post 29845203)

No, Mint is much better especially if you are in the single closed door suites in row 2 and 4. AA food and wines are generally poor and that's being kind. B6 food is as good as it gets on a domestic flight. The only B6 negative is no lounge.

seldnflyer Jun 9, 2018 6:27 am

Originally Posted by SFO777 (Post 29846425)

No, Mint is much better especially if you are in the single closed door suites in row 2 and 4. AA food and wines are generally poor and that's being kind. B6 food is as good as it gets on a domestic flight. The only B6 negative is no lounge.

I'm with you here - despite no lounge B6's product is phenomenal for a transcon

rrrrrich Jun 10, 2018 6:23 am

Are these 140 BA tier points each way?

SFO777 Jun 10, 2018 6:51 am

Originally Posted by rrrrrich (Post 29849699)
Are these 140 BA tier points each way?

Yes, 140 TP for Business. 210 TP for First.

Markie Jun 10, 2018 9:21 am

You can upgrade these fares with AA BusinessExtra certificates/points to First, if A class is available. Although you only get the 140 TPs.

RichardInSF Jun 10, 2018 12:58 pm

I can pretty much always find SFO-NYC with a flat bed seat available for this price or less. Sure, the wine quality will vary a bit but that isn't very important to me. This fare level is available way too often to be a "deal."

fish3d Jun 11, 2018 11:03 am

Originally Posted by Erik Jacobsen (Post 29845083)
I was looking at a red-eye from LAX-JFK in mid-July and I noticed that AA has their premium (Lay-Flat) Transcon product on sale from both SFO and LAX to JFK for $659. I was going to go with B6, bit AA was actually cheaper. (I prefer AA's product for sleeping, so this was a pleasant surprise.) Example: https://www.google.com/flights/#flt=...;sd:1;t:f;tt:o

It looks like there's at least some availablity almost every day from July 8 to July 31.

FOrgot to add, this is an I-class fare

Took this trip JFK -SFO and JFK-LAX a mumber of times last year. Allows access to the Flagship Lounge at JFK and now LAX. Paid 1100.r/t but had to book well in advance. Not sure if 659 OW is a good deal.
Also biz class seating is 2- 2 first is 1-1 so if you are in first you cannot speak to your travel mate /Business associate.

George84 Jun 11, 2018 7:39 pm

Why fly this when Mint is running $399 OW for the same route?

$399 JetBlue Mint Business Class Transcontinental Flights... - God Save The Points

Erik Jacobsen Jun 13, 2018 9:49 am

Originally Posted by George84 (Post 29855903)
Why fly this when Mint is running $399 OW for the same route?

$399 JetBlue Mint Business Class Transcontinental Flights... - God Save The Points

You might want to check before you post... There is no $399 LAX/SFO to JFK on B6 in July. Lowest I see is a couple Saturdays at $559, but the majority of the B6 flights are in the $700-$799 range.
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...0a4215c706.png
Given that I usually see this o/w for ~$800 on AA, and that B6 is more expensive on most of thsoe dates... Seems like a decent deal to me.

Erik Jacobsen Jun 13, 2018 9:56 am

Originally Posted by seldnflyer (Post 29846983)
I'm with you here - despite no lounge B6's product is phenomenal for a transcon

I'm going to disagree with you, here... Personally, I find AA Business Transcon a better product than Mint, especially if you're sleeping. Personally, I'll pay up to $50 more to fly an AA J Transon over B6, up top $100 if it's a red-eye. Reasons:
a. Hard Product, the 2+2 in Mint is not as comfortable for me as AA J Transcon whether sleeping or on a day flight.
b. Mard Product ctd. the "Mint Suites" aren't that great if sleeping. Sure, they're more private, with the door but the actual seat is way less comfortable when flat and the footwells are tiny. (I have small feet and yet I have to flex them to fit in the footwell.)
c. Food and Drink, in my experience has typically been better on AA J Transcon. (Not always, but often.)
d. Lounge Access: This fare on AA gives you access to the Flagship Lounges at LAX and JFK. B6 give you access to the Mint lounge... Oh, wait... there isn't a Mint lounge.
e. Status: This earns 2x EQMs on AA towards status, but only the normal rate for Base Points on B6 towards Mosiac.
f. Upgrades: Because AA flys 3-class on this route, there are various paths to upgrade to first (1+1 and the single most comfortble transcon red-eye out there).
g. YMMV ;)

That said, B6 has way nicer amenity kits right now, despite having been downgraded last year. Of course, they seem to forget to cater them on about every fourth Mint flight I take...

Don't get me wrong, I fly plenty of B6 Mint flights, either because they're on routes where the competition is a standard domestic F (Like SEA-JFK) or they're more than $100 cheaper o/w than AA (The point at which the savings are worth more--to me--than the reasons above).

Besides, there's only about 6 days in all of July where B6 is less than this fare.