Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

JAL YVR - TPE Business Class from US$ 1,907

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JAL YVR - TPE Business Class from US$ 1,907

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2018, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by EmailKid
It's pricing out about $200 more for me to BKK, plus it seems like I only found NRT connections with the exception of change airport on some legs to HND. I've done that once (not voluntarily, thanks UA ), and it wasn't all that much fun
YVR-BKK starts at around $2,155, however that requires flying YVR-TYO-BKK on the JAL 787 with shell seats for the TPAC segment. Not the greatest product out there, to say the least.

If you'd prefer a better product, you can route through LAX for an additional $250 or so. Also, the airport change in TYO is not obligatory; there are routings that avoid the NRT-HND shuffle.

See below for an example. Earnings aren't great since it's an I fare, but it's a pretty good price for a trip to Bangkok.

On the other hand, if you don't mind positioning to YYZ, then you can do something like the below fare. This is a bit more money, but it will earn nearly 5,600 EQD and 33,500 EQM with AA. Plus nearly 55k RDM (for EXP).

Note: the stop in LON is not required (JFK or ORD can be substituted). The stop in HKG is completely unnecessary, but increases mileage. The more direct routing YYZ-LHR/JFK/ORD-HEL-SIN is available for essentially the same price.

NJSwamplands likes this.

Last edited by swingaling; Jun 24, 2018 at 2:21 pm
Old Jun 24, 2018, 4:24 pm

Anyway to get the above ending in BKK versus SIN?
Old Jun 24, 2018, 5:12 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
If you are an Alaska Mileage Plan creditor, it earns 170% or 225% RQM depending if you are booking into I or X fares. Highly reasonable.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 5:24 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
If you are an Alaska Mileage Plan creditor, it earns 170% or 225% RQM depending if you are booking into I or X fares. Highly reasonable.
Some of are still chasing status until AS goes PQD While the 170% RDM sounds pretty good, the I fare is 70% EQM if I understand it correctly. The only reason I am UA 1K is that I did the (related) YVR-Asia x2 at the end of the year and got 200% PQM for NH P fare
Old Jun 24, 2018, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by NJSwamplands
Anyway to get the above ending in BKK versus SIN?
Sure thing. The below will more or less maximize earnings on AA. You could substitute ORD for LON, but that's only an extra 200 miles and you'd have to deal with ORD...

5,600 EQD and 34,000 EQM

NJSwamplands likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 7:54 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Some of are still chasing status until AS goes PQD While the 170% RDM sounds pretty good, the I fare is 70% EQM if I understand it correctly. The only reason I am UA 1K is that I did the (related) YVR-Asia x2 at the end of the year and got 200% PQM for NH P fare
Totally accurate with 70% EQM. If you're looking to earn real status (ie: lounge access around the world as a One World / Star Alliance / SkyTeam), Alaska's not the right program for you. Still, 170% earn rate is pretty good for such a low fare.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
Totally accurate with 70% EQM. If you're looking to earn real status (ie: lounge access around the world as a One World / Star Alliance / SkyTeam), Alaska's not the right program for you. Still, 170% earn rate is pretty good for such a low fare.
I loved AS ever since CO days, but thanks to CO / UA merger I gained Million Miler status, so *A lifetime Gold.

But UA does not hand out much love, even at 1K level these days

So looking at more options, and thanks to UA IROPS I flew AS, OO and / or AA a fair bit over last three years. Liked the experience as non status, so willing to dip my toes in
Old Jun 25, 2018, 8:00 am

Programs: AA PPro
How do you find and book specific X and D fares?
Old Jun 25, 2018, 10:10 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by swingaling
Sure thing. The below will more or less maximize earnings on AA. You could substitute ORD for LON, but that's only an extra 200 miles and you'd have to deal with ORD...

5,600 EQD and 34,000 EQM

You must really hate ORD if you are willing to do a LGW/LHR transfer to avoid it.
swingaling and NJSwamplands like this.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by skunker
You must really hate ORD if you are willing to do a LGW/LHR transfer to avoid it.
Haha. No not really, though I can imagine Canadians might not be super eager to transit the US if they don't have to. This can be booked without the LGW-LHR transfer, but I was just too lazy to find a date that would allow it.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by swingaling
Haha. No not really, though I can imagine Canadians might not be super eager to transit the US if they don't have to. This can be booked without the LGW-LHR transfer, but I was just too lazy to find a date that would allow it.
With pre clearance in Canada, there is no need to clear security in CHI. Simple domestic - Int'l connection @:-)
swingaling and NJSwamplands like this.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA Plat; *A Gold; Marriott Gold
With pre clearance in Canada, there is no need to clear security in CHI. Simple domestic - Int'l connection @:-)
Right, but if you're a Canadian (or any other country passport holder starting in Canada) why would you choose to subject yourself to the hassle of US immigration if you're flying to a third country? Doesn't matter if the hassle is before your first flight or in the middle of your trip. If it were me I'd avoid the hassle if there were other options available.

As a US citizen/resident I think nothing of doing a connecting flight through a Canadian airport because I don't need to deal with Canadian immigration. And they're so nice, don'tcha know?

Last edited by Brucemcdou; Jun 25, 2018 at 2:10 pm
Old Jun 25, 2018, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by Brucemcdou

Right, but if you're a Canadian (or any other country passport holder starting in Canada) why would you choose to subject yourself to the hassle of US immigration if you're flying to a third country? Doesn't matter if the hassle is before your first flight or in the middle of your trip. If it were me I'd avoid the hassle if there were other options available.

As a US citizen/resident I think nothing of doing a connecting flight through a Canadian airport because I don't need to deal with Canadian immigration. And they're so nice, don'tcha know?
On my first trip I subjected myself to the hassle for extra EQMs @:-) YVR-DEN-NRT got me a lot more of them, though just a pittance of redeemable miles. Next trip I just did the nonstop to NRT as I at the end of the trip I would have required EQMs for the year.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 4:09 am

Programs: Aeroplan
My only disappointment is that airlines like JL or NH don't fly direct from YYZ to Asia. If the connections in Japan were good, it could of been another airline added to the few decent choices available from here.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 8:07 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Originally Posted by Taggart
My only disappointment is that airlines like JL or NH don't fly direct from YYZ to Asia. If the connections in Japan were good, it could of been another airline added to the few decent choices available from here.
BR Royal Laurel out of YYZ is a fantastic options with good connections out of TPE. Some people find the late departure inconvenient to be fair but I was very impressed by my flight and easy connection at TPE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.