Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

JAL YVR - TPE Business Class from US$ 1,907

JAL YVR - TPE Business Class from US$ 1,907

Old Jun 26, 2018, 11:59 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar
BR Royal Laurel out of YYZ is a fantastic options with good connections out of TPE. Some people find the late departure inconvenient to be fair but I was very impressed by my flight and easy connection at TPE.
Yes, BR has been the airline my wife and I have chosen to fly from YYZ to Asia for the last few years now, except we're in PE.
Admiral Ackbar likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 1:46 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Brucemcdou
Right, but if you're a Canadian (or any other country passport holder starting in Canada) why would you choose to subject yourself to the hassle of US immigration if you're flying to a third country? Doesn't matter if the hassle is before your first flight or in the middle of your trip. If it were me I'd avoid the hassle if there were other options available.

As a US citizen/resident I think nothing of doing a connecting flight through a Canadian airport because I don't need to deal with Canadian immigration. And they're so nice, don'tcha know?
I am a Canadian Citizen with Nexus, Global Entry, TSA Pre and an Enhanced Drivers License. I think nothing of transitting the United States enroute to a third country whether that be Mexico, Costa Rica, into eastern Asia, Australia, Europe or the Middle East. Not much of a hassle at all when you only talk to one person on your way out when you drop off your declaration as you pass everyone not in a priority queue. Pre clearance in Canada makes it even easier.

For those that do not have other means to expedite International Arrivals into the US you should download the Mobile Passport App. You can make your declaration upon arrival at the airport (taxiing to the gate) and submit it to Immigration. No need to talk to anyone. Follow the Mobile Passport queue and they will scan your QR Code confirmation from the app and you are on your way. Works at most points of entry including some Cruise Ship Terminals and there is no fee to use it.

James
Old Jun 27, 2018, 1:46 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun

For those that do not have other means to expedite International Arrivals into the US you should download the Mobile Passport App. You can make your declaration upon arrival at the airport (taxiing to the gate) and submit it to Immigration.
Does that work with Canadian passports ?
Old Jun 28, 2018, 1:34 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
Digressing from the border clearance digression...
Thanks to OP and the additional poster who noted the ability to connect at LAX to a JL non-788 transpac flight. This led me to some tinkering around. My AA-booked itin includes AA 789 (a very comfortable aircraft) over and 77W back, which I was able to upgrade to F with an SWU. NRT-TPE connection is on 76W that supposedly has the new Sky Suite on it. This segment booked into X not I, so full earning. Anyway, my hope to do a little culinary touring in Taipei should finally be fulfilled. February trip. Total cost of US$2250.

Last edited by mczlaw; Jun 28, 2018 at 1:40 am Reason: Add Info
Old Jun 28, 2018, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by mczlaw
Digressing from the border clearance digression...
Thanks to OP and the additional poster who noted the ability to connect at LAX to a JL non-788 transpac flight. This led me to some tinkering around. My AA-booked itin includes AA 789 (a very comfortable aircraft) over and 77W back, which I was able to upgrade to F with an SWU. NRT-TPE connection is on 76W that supposedly has the new Sky Suite on it. This segment booked into X not I, so full earning. Anyway, my hope to do a little culinary touring in Taipei should finally be fulfilled. February trip. Total cost of US$2250.
What flight back has the 77W? I only know of the 789 flight.
Your itinerary sounds great.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 4:03 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen
To me, angled is no better than a recliner - for the same money, I'm on the same route in UA Polaris, and there are/were options on ANA and Air Canada, both with lie-flat seats (ANA via SEA/SFO/LAX). If you need OW/AA miles, I guess this is a decent find, but I certainly wouldn't put the product in the same category as the lie-flat premium options we were able to book recently.
to me anglied flat is better than fully flat.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 12:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by kaka
to me anglied flat is better than fully flat.
Most customers want a fully lie flat, and the overall seat design nowadays is much better than an older recliner or angled seat, and you can always adjust a fully lie flat seat to be more angled if that is your preferred sleeping position. The JAL angled seat is a vastly inferior seat compared with today's fully lie-flat options, and this is reflected in their pricing.

It may be possible, if you use a good agent, to route this, or other discount fares, via other JAL gateways with a fully lie flat product like LAX
Old Jun 29, 2018, 12:58 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Most customers want a fully lie flat, and the overall seat design nowadays is much better than an older recliner or angled seat, and you can always adjust a fully lie flat seat to be more angled if that is your preferred sleeping position. The JAL angled seat is a vastly inferior seat compared with today's fully lie-flat options, and this is reflected in their pricing.

It may be possible, if you use a good agent, to route this, or other discount fares, via other JAL gateways with a fully lie flat product like LAX[
I am still thinking about this one - how bad can it be

Surely better than the NH 788 that got subbed in for 789 for a few months, which was NOT even lie flat I called, they offered me nothing ......

Surely better than PE, no?

The "I" fare sadly only gets 70% on AS, and non AS flights require more miles for qualification
Old Jun 29, 2018, 1:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by EmailKid

Surely better than the NH 788 that got subbed in for 789 for a few months, which was NOT even lie flat I called, they offered me nothing ......

Surely better than PE, no?

The "I" fare sadly only gets 70% on AS, and non AS flights require more miles for qualification
Well, with budget pricing, it's certainly not a terrible seat, and yes, it is much better than the NH regional business seat - but with NH, it's usually pretty easy to route YVR-SEA/SFO/LAX-XXX to avoid that 788
Old Jun 30, 2018, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Angled is not bad at all. I actually slept better on the 787 LAX-KIX, than I did with my trips from NRT-JFK and HND-JFK.

With that said, everything else being equal, I'd still opt for the full-flat.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 11:19 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by CAWineNerd
What flight back has the 77W? I only know of the 789 flight.
Your itinerary sounds great.
Sorry for delayed response. Inbound routing is TPE-HKG-LAX-YVR. AA flies 77W HKG-LAX. Seven-hour connection in HKG, perfect opportunity to store my bags, take express train into the city, grab a a bite and still have time to hang out at a CX F lounge before departure.
E55 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.