Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WAS-ATH Sky Team: $ 2127

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2018, 9:27 pm

this seems like a match to BA fare to Greece/Cyprus from WAS, mind you, BA comes with 200$ off AARP discount which results in fares lower than coach class in the middle of the summer. And yes, it has been there for months.
Old May 30, 2018, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion& 2 Million Miler; Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by buckeye91
I flew this deal end of April-May on Delta equipment. Deal still in place from all DC airports but best equipment (new AF Business class) will take you from DCA-JFK-CDG-ATH. Not interested in DL 767 or AF 380 older business classes. Fares still lower than $2200 including tax/fees. Be careful booking an AF 777 and don't assume it's the new BC product. I booked through ATL and once I was able to see the seating chart (after booking with AF), I noticed it was the old product. Called DL and had it changed within an hour to go through JFK with new Business class on 777
Smart. I would have done the same.

I like AF's new biz class seats (really comfortable). Unfortunately i've never been impressed with their soft product: service or food. I mean....it's OK..i've had worse food and service in Biz Class (that's right, Air China and AeroMexico...talkin' 'bout you.). I much prefer Delta's soft product over AF's. And quick tip: the best food you'll ever get on Delta in ONE class is on the CDG to USA routes. I'm not sure who their French caterer is, but they're pretty impressive. I've had a duck dish and a cod dish that were two of the best mains I've ever had on a plane.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 2:06 pm

Programs: DL DM 2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium/Ambassador Elite , Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
Have been looking for sub $2500 business R/T to Greece (ATH) for this summer out of just about every US city from the Midwest to East Coast. No deals so far.

Thought with American starting their non-stop from ORD to ATH in May we may start to see some competitive prices there

Decent business class fare on SkyTeam from ORD to many Italy cities this summer, however
Old Mar 17, 2019, 2:24 pm

Programs: Miles&Smiles
I was able to find good award availability for Delta’s summer route JFK-ATH using Virgin Atlantic miles. 50,000 miles one way in business class.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 5:44 pm

Location: DCA's home, AA hubs and spokes are where you'll usually find me
Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by HamiduH2
I was able to find good award availability for Delta’s summer route JFK-ATH using Virgin Atlantic miles. 50,000 miles one way in business class.
I assume you had to call to book this -- I'm not seeing it in Virgin''s search?
Old Mar 17, 2019, 6:34 pm

Programs: Miles&Smiles
Yeah. Use Delta to search for availability and then call Virgin Atlantic to book. Note that the ATH-JFK route has a hefty fuel surcharge
Old Mar 17, 2019, 8:30 pm

Programs: Skymiles (former DM), MileagePlus (Silver), Marriott Rewards/SPG Platinum (Lifetime Titanium)
Originally Posted by buckeye91
Have been looking for sub $2500 business R/T to Greece (ATH) for this summer out of just about every US city from the Midwest to East Coast. No deals so far.

Thought with American starting their non-stop from ORD to ATH in May we may start to see some competitive prices there

Decent business class fare on SkyTeam from ORD to many Italy cities this summer, however
Try checking Expedia and their flight+hotel deals. There were packages for ~$2500 on SkyTeam recently for dates I was checking in August out of ORD. A quick search found a date for ~2600 per person.

Roundtrip Flight
Chicago (ORD) to Athens (ATH)
Sat, Aug 24 - Sun, Sep 1Sat, Aug 24 to Sun, Sep 1
Departure: Arrives on Sun, Aug 25. Your hotel check-in reflects this arrival.
2 Tickets: 2 Adults
Athens Gate Hotel
Athens
Sun, Aug 25 - Mon, Aug 26Sun, Aug 25to Mon, Aug 26
1 Room: 1 night
Ground Transport Banner
Add transportation to and from your hotel for more bundled savings
  • $5,205.77
Old Mar 18, 2019, 10:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HamiduH2

Funny -- cuz trying to use Delta Skymiles to Europe this summer is an act of God. 640,000 round trip for most dates/times. Ridiculous.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA - PLT(2MM); DL - PM(2MM); Hilton - Gold; Marriott Bonvoy- Titanium; Hyatt - Platinum
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ATLConsultant
Funny -- cuz trying to use Delta Skymiles to Europe this summer is an act of God. 640,000 round trip for most dates/times. Ridiculous.
You're spot on with that! Back in the fall, I was able to snag a couple of US-BRU mileage tickets for May travel, in J, for 98,000 each. Last month there were a couple of minor schedules changes to our itinerary, nothing that would really allow us to make any gratis changes. But I called the PLT desk anyway, just to see if we could move to an earlier JFK-ATL departure. Was initially told by the agent that to do so would result in a significant increase in SkyMiles(probably to 640,000!). But then she said she would talk to a supervisor to see if she could make this happen at the same initial mileage level. And, voila, about 30 min. later she was able to do so. Kudos to the PLT desk!
Old Mar 19, 2019, 5:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by rabingham89
Try checking Expedia and their flight+hotel deals. There were packages for ~$2500 on SkyTeam recently for dates I was checking in August out of ORD. A quick search found a date for ~2600 per person.

Roundtrip Flight
Chicago (ORD) to Athens (ATH)
Sat, Aug 24 - Sun, Sep 1Sat, Aug 24 to Sun, Sep 1
Departure: Arrives on Sun, Aug 25. Your hotel check-in reflects this arrival.
2 Tickets: 2 Adults
Athens Gate Hotel
Athens
Sun, Aug 25 - Mon, Aug 26Sun, Aug 25to Mon, Aug 26
1 Room: 1 night
Ground Transport Banner
Add transportation to and from your hotel for more bundled savings
  • $5,205.77
Why does the return (westbound TATL) take two days? Are passengers sleeping in an airport along the way? I'm also reading this as including only one hotel night, but of course that would be good if you weren't planning to actually use the hotel part of the package.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by arkangel
You're spot on with that! Back in the fall, I was able to snag a couple of US-BRU mileage tickets for May travel, in J, for 98,000 each. Last month there were a couple of minor schedules changes to our itinerary, nothing that would really allow us to make any gratis changes. But I called the PLT desk anyway, just to see if we could move to an earlier JFK-ATL departure. Was initially told by the agent that to do so would result in a significant increase in SkyMiles(probably to 640,000!). But then she said she would talk to a supervisor to see if she could make this happen at the same initial mileage level. And, voila, about 30 min. later she was able to do so. Kudos to the PLT desk!
I got in on that flash sale too! I bought 4 tix (2 to Madrid and 2 to Munich). Then i bought 2 FC tix to Vegas using miles. For Christmas, my mom opened a box and there were 3 envelopes. I told her to pick an envelope and whatever was inside would be her gift. She opened Madrid first and absolutely loved it. But I told her -- like Lets Make a Deal -- she could either keep or go for another envelope. She didn't wanna lose Madrid, so she refused. Then i relented and told her she could open another but if she didn't like she could return to the first gift. She opened another envelope and got Munich. She decided on Madrid. So in May we're off to Madrid/Porto for the week! And only 98K from her home city of Charlotte!!

:-)
MSPeconomist and Saxonjsb like this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 8:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ATLConsultant
I got in on that flash sale too! I bought 4 tix (2 to Madrid and 2 to Munich). Then i bought 2 FC tix to Vegas using miles. For Christmas, my mom opened a box and there were 3 envelopes. I told her to pick an envelope and whatever was inside would be her gift. She opened Madrid first and absolutely loved it. But I told her -- like Lets Make a Deal -- she could either keep or go for another envelope. She didn't wanna lose Madrid, so she refused. Then i relented and told her she could open another but if she didn't like she could return to the first gift. She opened another envelope and got Munich. She decided on Madrid. So in May we're off to Madrid/Porto for the week! And only 98K from her home city of Charlotte!!

:-)
That's a great idea, may have to try it with my wife this year.
ATLConsultant likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 9:19 am

Programs: Skymiles (former DM), MileagePlus (Silver), Marriott Rewards/SPG Platinum (Lifetime Titanium)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Why does the return (westbound TATL) take two days? Are passengers sleeping in an airport along the way? I'm also reading this as including only one hotel night, but of course that would be good if you weren't planning to actually use the hotel part of the package.
I did only include one night in the hotel but the price doesn't jump much if you choose to do a few extra days. I think there were a few similarly priced options to some of the islands (JTR/CFU) but I chose Athens just to give a quick example. The return westbound should have been a single day. It may have pasted weird. Trying again with a screenshot this time to hopefully make it a little more readable.
- Return flights to Chicago I've come across seem to be DL coded AZ operated with a connection in Rome. Outbound tends to route through JFK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.