Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

United (Air Canada): YVR-TPE Business/Polaris $2,000

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United (Air Canada): YVR-TPE Business/Polaris $2,000

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2018, 10:10 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
FYI the non stop is available from YVR on AC and from YYZ through YVR. Check matrix.
Old May 13, 2018, 11:41 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Originally Posted by 1984SW
It's not just a recliner, it's a cradle seat. There's a reason why it's been referred to as the "Torture Seat." I flew in it BKK-NRT and the front lip of the seat painfully cut into the bottom of my thighs if I reclined it. But, different folks have different tolerances, and a different body size might not have the issue I had (I'm 5'9"/175cm) so you might be perfectly happy with it, I guess.
It really is one of the horrors of commercial flying!
Old May 13, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA Plat; *A Gold; Marriott Gold

This is the chair we’re talking about on the 788, right? Ok, ok, it seems like there are strong feelings about this! I’m 6’0” and yes, I can see how that lip would cut into the back of your legs. Thanks all for the heads up and I’ll consider options.
Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
​​​​​​​
Old May 13, 2018, 8:00 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh;29749045

Originally Posted by Brucemcdou

This is the chair we’re talking about on the 788, right? Ok, ok, it seems like there are strong feelings about this! I’m 6’0” and yes, I can see how that lip would cut into the back of your legs. Thanks all for the heads up and I’ll consider options.​​
I flew this in December, and while I was VERY upset about the switch, it was still way better than any TPAC ever in coach.

Though I suppose my CO flight to NRT with all three seats was lie flat As was UA GUM-HNL All too rare for me

Supposedly they are done with subs ......
Old May 13, 2018, 8:13 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by Bonaventure
FYI the non stop is available from YVR on AC and from YYZ through YVR. Check matrix.
I cant find it- any dates you can share? Stay requirement? Thanks!
Old May 13, 2018, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by Bonaventure
Can't find on matrix. Are you able to share sample dates?
Old May 14, 2018, 12:14 am

Programs: UA Gold, BONVOY TIT
Just booked a 4-day status/mileage run for February 2019. SFO-YVR-HND-TSA-HND-YVR-SFO for $2550 in J. YVR-HND-TSA-HND-YVR all on ANA; SFO-YVR and return on UA. Not the best price for approx 28,000 PQM but gives me an overnight in Tokyo and two full days in Taipei where I've never visited. Thanks to the OP!
Taipei is an underrated place. I really enjoyed my visit there. Check out Lin Tungfang for beef noodle soup, Driftwood for craft beer, R&D for great cocktails, and any location of Kavalan retail for great whiskey (you can sample any 4 of their most expensive whiskeys for around US$15 in the shop). If you aren't a drinker, then I apologize for this post adding no value
Admiral Ackbar likes this.
Old May 14, 2018, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by rdurlabhji
Taipei is an underrated place. I really enjoyed my visit there. Check out Lin Tungfang for beef noodle soup, Driftwood for craft beer, R&D for great cocktails, and any location of Kavalan retail for great whiskey (you can sample any 4 of their most expensive whiskeys for around US$15 in the shop). If you aren't a drinker, then I apologize for this post adding no value
oh but I am a drinker, so thank you for these great recommendations!
rdurlabhji likes this.
Old May 14, 2018, 2:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Taipei is a great place to spend a few days, even if you're just using it as an enroute stop to get this fare while your real destination is elsewhere. There really isn't another place in Asia with a cuisine-scene like Taipei. While there might not be any Michelin rated restaurants to try, you want to focus on street food and mom/pop food shops. I've been eating in small food stalls, night markets and mid-high end restaurants there for years, and everything is clean, safe and I've never been sick from something eaten from a food stall. From traditional Taiwanese breakfasts, to excellent Japanese food, to night market eats, all at bargain basement prices, the only real risk in spending a couple days in Taipei is to your waistline.
Admiral Ackbar and sfsouthbay like this.
Old May 14, 2018, 6:02 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Taipei is a great place to spend a few days, even if you're just using it as an enroute stop to get this fare while your real destination is elsewhere. There really isn't another place in Asia with a cuisine-scene like Taipei. While there might not be any Michelin rated restaurants to try, you want to focus on street food and mom/pop food shops. I've been eating in small food stalls, night markets and mid-high end restaurants there for years, and everything is clean, safe and I've never been sick from something eaten from a food stall. From traditional Taiwanese breakfasts, to excellent Japanese food, to night market eats, all at bargain basement prices, the only real risk in spending a couple days in Taipei is to your waistline.
This sounds wonderful. I have heard that Taipei has a vibrant food scene. After two trips to Shanghai in the last year, I'm ready for something new (last visit to Taipei was as a teen in 1980), but am holding out for a favorable US west coast-TPE J or F fare on a Oneworld carrier. If I'm missing something, please let me know.
Old May 14, 2018, 6:24 pm

Taipei now has a Michelin guide (2018). It came out in March
Old May 14, 2018, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by illico
Taipei now has a Michelin guide (2018). It came out in March
Oh, I need to take a look - but it's hard to give up my favorite food stalls
Old May 14, 2018, 7:26 pm

Oh, I need to take a look - but it's hard to give up my favorite food stalls
bocastephen - recommendations for food stalls would be greatly appreciated! I’ll probably be staying at the FS Marriott unless I get a much better rate elsewhere.
Old May 15, 2018, 12:41 am
Original Poster

bocastephen - recommendations for food stalls would be greatly appreciated! I’ll probably be staying at the FS Marriott unless I get a much better rate elsewhere.
I would stay away from the tourist night markets like Shilin - although it might be interesting for souvenirs, t-shirts, etc., I wouldn't bother with the food. I would suggest Raohe Night Market and Linjiang/Tonghua Night markets. Some of the staples there are guabao (fatty pork sandwich with pickled greens and peanut powder) with a great stall located about 1/2 down the first section of Linjiang on the right side, "da chang bao xia chang" which is a pork sausage stuffed inside a sticky rice sausage, and the cart is right in front of the entrance at Linjiang, Fuzhou Pepper Buns (stall name) which is the entrance to Raohe market, and for Taiwanese breakfast, I like the small shop just to the right of the main exit of Da'an MRT station (can't remember the name, but look for the red sign). In the evenings, you can walk along Xinyi Rd between Dunhua and Fuxing on the south side, there are lots of stands with dumplings and buns.

Asia is really big on stuffed breads, and there are bake shops all of Taipei with an amazing number of breads - the easiest to find is in the basement food court of the main Sogo department store.

I believe there are some great local guides who can curate a day and night food tour with you, and help with translations and communication since the small shop menus are not in English and none of the staff will speak English.
vincewy likes this.
Old May 17, 2018, 11:01 am

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL PM
The price has gone down even more to $1,850. Also looks like JAL is matching at $1,950-$2,000.

Hoping this fare will extend into next April and from Toronto. I would be all over it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.