Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

LA: SCL-JNB r/t in J for ~US$1,000

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LA: SCL-JNB r/t in J for ~US$1,000

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2018, 9:35 am

Programs: LATAM Black Signature (OW E), Turkish Airlines Elite (S* G), Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by notsosmart
Ben Carson is a physician... it obviously isn't much help in other walks of life!

Anyway, this would make a nice miles-earning addition to the Tokyo fare.
What tokyo fare? Is there something worth combining with this one?
Old Apr 23, 2018, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by javierdelaf
What tokyo fare? Is there something worth combining with this one?
the Y AKL-SCL-TYO fare that has been on the front page for a looooooong time. (why doesn't it just die! :P ) It positions you to SCL conveniently through a lot of neat places, including JNB. If routed correctly, just 3 rt of the ICN-SCL-TYO iteration can net you AS MVPG75K.
Old May 29, 2018, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, BAEC Bronze, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by macdonaldj2
FYI, anyone spending 12+ hours or a longish layover in GRU you will be asked to show your ORIGINAL yellow fever vaccination certificate. If you do not have that when boarding at GRU you WILL NOT BE ALLOWED to board to JNB.
I have been looking and all websites including CDC say that it is only 'required if traveling from Angola or the Democratic Republic of Congo and ≥9 months of age'
I plan to spend 12 hours in a hotel close to GRU before heading to JNB, so want to make sure that i am reading the info correctly.
Old May 29, 2018, 4:48 pm

Location: Washington D.C. via Sao Paulo via Houston via Washington D.C. via Boston via New York
Originally Posted by RyanG
I have been looking and all websites including CDC say that it is only 'required if traveling from Angola or the Democratic Republic of Congo and ≥9 months of age'
I plan to spend 12 hours in a hotel close to GRU before heading to JNB, so want to make sure that i am reading the info correctly.
Trust me when I tell you that you will need it. It has happened to me twice. GRU-JNB I was asked to present my yellow fever certification, did not have an original but I was allowed to fly (because I had a copy), two weeks later GRU-BOG I was denied boarding because I did not have my ORIGINAL certification. Sao Paulo/Brazil entirely is having yellow fever issues currently. LATAM WILL ask you for it and WILL deny you boarding if you don't have it. When I was checking into my GRU-BOG flight that I couldn't get on a group of German tourists were being denied as well. Their original flight got cancelled into BOG and LH flew them through GRU. LATAM at GRU denied them boarding because they did not have their certification with them. They didn't know they needed it as they never planned on coming into GRU. Their layover was around 12 hours. I only know this because I was chatting them up while I was being denied boarding. Bring your yellow fever certification with you, make sure it's the original. You don't want to be stuck at GRU.
Old May 29, 2018, 5:31 pm

Programs: LATAM Black Signature (OW E), Turkish Airlines Elite (S* G), Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RyanG
I just flew SCL-GRU-SCL 2 weeks ago, stayed in Sao Paulo for 3 days, I just handed my passport and that was all (chilean passport btw), a friend traveling with me entered as easy as I did, no questions asked. I saw no signs of yellow fever anywhere nor entering or leaving GRU. I think the outbreak has been already controlled.
Old May 29, 2018, 6:06 pm

Programs: LATAM, KLM, SMILES, DELTA, AA
Question

Originally Posted by beyounged
the Y AKL-SCL-TYO fare that has been on the front page for a looooooong time. (why doesn't it just die! :P ) It positions you to SCL conveniently through a lot of neat places, including JNB. If routed correctly, just 3 rt of the ICN-SCL-TYO iteration can net you AS MVPG75K.
Would you mind sharing a link or something?
I am in Sao Paulo right now is this fare would be perfect for me, except that I can´t make it work for nothing in this wourld! I need to meet my husband in San Diego in about 2 weeks, and from there need to go straight to europe (I live in amsterdam). From ams (end of july) my husband and I are taking a vacation to JNB, and from JNB I need to come back to Sao Paulo.
I´ve been trying to pull SCL-LAX-NRT, then NRT-AMS(or FRA or anywhere close) and then AMS-JNB-SCL
I´´ve been trying this for days and all I get are absurd prices (more than 4000usd). Well, if could give me any kind of help, I would really really appreciate it.
Thanks
Old May 29, 2018, 6:40 pm

Location: Washington D.C. via Sao Paulo via Houston via Washington D.C. via Boston via New York
Originally Posted by javierdelaf
I just flew SCL-GRU-SCL 2 weeks ago, stayed in Sao Paulo for 3 days, I just handed my passport and that was all (chilean passport btw), a friend traveling with me entered as easy as I did, no questions asked. I saw no signs of yellow fever anywhere nor entering or leaving GRU. I think the outbreak has been already controlled.
Correct, going to SCL is fine, JNB is not SCL.
Old May 29, 2018, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by nandamesquita
Would you mind sharing a link or something?
I am in Sao Paulo right now is this fare would be perfect for me, except that I can´t make it work for nothing in this wourld! I need to meet my husband in San Diego in about 2 weeks, and from there need to go straight to europe (I live in amsterdam). From ams (end of july) my husband and I are taking a vacation to JNB, and from JNB I need to come back to Sao Paulo.
I´ve been trying to pull SCL-LAX-NRT, then NRT-AMS(or FRA or anywhere close) and then AMS-JNB-SCL
I´´ve been trying this for days and all I get are absurd prices (more than 4000usd). Well, if could give me any kind of help, I would really really appreciate it.
Thanks
the deal begins in either AKL or ICN, so it is rather useless for you. positioning to either of those places can be expensive so I recommend looking for other options.
Old May 29, 2018, 7:22 pm

I see!! Thanks anyway
Old May 30, 2018, 4:05 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by beyounged
the deal begins in either AKL or ICN, so it is rather useless for you. positioning to either of those places can be expensive so I recommend looking for other options.
Also works ex-Australia. My first one starts in ICN. My second one starts in SYD and stops in AKL, PPT 10 days and IPC 23 hours. MEL, PER, BNE all work too. Two itineraries, 17 flights, 7 Y 10 J ~58K miles traveled, 70K EQM, 170K RDM as MVPG75K, cross four continents, the Pacific and the Atlantic TWICE From Tahiti to the Seychelles From Sydney to London but ultimately from Seoul to Tokyo in an around the world way. Now that is "Flying For Fun."

If GRU-JNB credited to AS I would do a long stopover in SCL and do this as a side trip. I believe it also works with BA (Comair) JNB-CPT which does credit to AS 500 EQM minimum. I did that flight in January.

James

Last edited by Flying for Fun; May 30, 2018 at 4:22 am
Old May 30, 2018, 7:40 am

Programs: IB Plat - Hilton Gold - Marriott Gold - IHG Ambassador
If you have an Argentine passport of ID, you will need a yellow fever vaccination card.
The official information is here https://www.santhnet.co.za/index.php...th-africa.html
Old May 30, 2018, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP
This fare looks to be dead. Lowest I’m seeing is $2,300.
Old May 30, 2018, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA
Not as great, but can still go GRU-JNB for $1429:
https://www.google.com/flights/?f=0#...RU0LA8163;sc=b
Old May 30, 2018, 4:15 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, BAEC Bronze, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by macdonaldj2
Trust me when I tell you that you will need it. It has happened to me twice. GRU-JNB I was asked to present my yellow fever certification, did not have an original but I was allowed to fly (because I had a copy), two weeks later GRU-BOG I was denied boarding because I did not have my ORIGINAL certification. Sao Paulo/Brazil entirely is having yellow fever issues currently. LATAM WILL ask you for it and WILL deny you boarding if you don't have it. When I was checking into my GRU-BOG flight that I couldn't get on a group of German tourists were being denied as well. Their original flight got cancelled into BOG and LH flew them through GRU. LATAM at GRU denied them boarding because they did not have their certification with them. They didn't know they needed it as they never planned on coming into GRU. Their layover was around 12 hours. I only know this because I was chatting them up while I was being denied boarding. Bring your yellow fever certification with you, make sure it's the original. You don't want to be stuck at GRU.

Thanks so much for the info! I see on the South African website that they are the ones that require a Yellow Fever vaccination if you spend more than 12 hours in Brazil. I have changed my flights to only be in transit for 5 hours in GRU and will stay airside, so hopefully that alleviates the problem. I have tried finding a vaccination to get just in case but i cannot find anywhere in TX that has any in stock, they all say they will only be getting more at the end of the year.
Old May 30, 2018, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Also works ex-Australia. My first one starts in ICN. My second one starts in SYD and stops in AKL, PPT 10 days and IPC 23 hours. MEL, PER, BNE all work too. Two itineraries, 17 flights, 7 Y 10 J ~58K miles traveled, 70K EQM, 170K RDM as MVPG75K, cross four continents, the Pacific and the Atlantic TWICE From Tahiti to the Seychelles From Sydney to London but ultimately from Seoul to Tokyo in an around the world way. Now that is "Flying For Fun."

If GRU-JNB credited to AS I would do a long stopover in SCL and do this as a side trip. I believe it also works with BA (Comair) JNB-CPT which does credit to AS 500 EQM minimum. I did that flight in January.

James
I´ve given up on the SAN part of the trip (I would just enjoy the city while my husband works, but can live whitout that). I will first go to the Netherlands since my ticket is already purchased. Then I could relocate to one of those start points and include JNB GRU and SCL in the itinerary. The only thing is that I'd skip the last past of the trip, that goes back to Asia, so I am not really sure this would be a good idea in terms of money spent and mileage earned (I'd credit to latam program).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.