FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mileage Run Discussion (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-discussion-627/)
-   -   [PREM FARE GONE] Qatar/ Emirates : TUN - KUL $1,316 RT (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-discussion/1903792-prem-fare-gone-qatar-emirates-tun-kul-1-316-rt.html)

MightyTravels Apr 13, 2018 10:41 am

[PREM FARE GONE] Qatar/ Emirates : TUN - KUL $1,316 RT

- Qatar and Emirates both have the TUN-KUL fares for $1,316 RT

- books into R for QR on A330

- it is O for EK on 777/ A380

https://www.momondo.com/flightsearch/?Search=true&TripType=2&SegNo=2&SO0=TUN&SD0=KUL&SD P0=03-05-2018&SO1=KUL&SD1=TUN&SDP1=17-05-2018&AD=1&TK=BIZ&DO=false&NA=false

notsosmart Apr 13, 2018 11:13 am

Nice fare. QR is cheapest, BKK $500 more.

MAGA Apr 13, 2018 11:13 am

Good deal. Egypt Air/Oman Air as low as $1,000 or so RT as well.

jhmili Apr 14, 2018 1:51 am

TAKE CARE ! : If you need a transit visa in Tunis, you take the risk that tunisian authorities do not answer you and you will have to cancel your flights !.... It s happened to us even we applied 2 months before flying....

JFSV Apr 14, 2018 2:03 am

How is TUN otherwise in terms of safery nowadays? Assuming TUN just for positioning?

plunet Apr 14, 2018 2:55 am

Originally Posted by JFSV (Post 29638893)
How is TUN otherwise in terms of safery nowadays? Assuming TUN just for positioning?

The UK Foreign Office has a very cautionary view still.
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/tunisia

There’s a heightened risk of terrorism against aviation. Additional security measures which restrict electronic devices on-board planes, have been in place on flights departing from Tunisia to the UK since March 2017. You should co-operate fully with security officials. For more information about how this may affect your flight, including if you’re transiting through Tunisia on the way to the UK, read this guidance page and contact your airline or travel company if you have further questions.

A state of emergency is in effect in Tunisia, imposed after a suicide attack on a police bus on 24 November 2015. It’s been extended a number of times, most recently on 12 March 2018 by 7 months.

Since the terrorist attack in Sousse in June 2015, which targeted tourists, the UK government has been working closely with the Tunisian authorities to investigate the attack and the wider threat from terrorist groups. The Tunisian government has improved protective security in major cities and tourist resorts.

But terrorists are still very likely to try to carry out attacks in Tunisia. Security forces remain on a high state of alert in Tunis and other places. You should be vigilant at all times, including around religious sites and festivals. Follow the advice of the Tunisian security authorities and your travel company if you have one. See Terrorism

There were widespread protests in January 2018 driven by economic tensions. Demonstrations often occur in Tunisia, though the majority are peaceful. However, some have affected key services, disrupted traffic or included violence.
However, it seems that the restrictions on electronic goods in the cabin from TUN to the UK was lifted in Feb 2018.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/c...ation-security

Last updated 26 February 2018

Restrictions on carrying large phones, laptops and tablets in the cabin have been lifted on all UK bound flights from the following airports:
  • Antalya (Turkey)
  • Bodrum (Turkey)
  • Hurghada (Egypt)
  • Istanbul Sabiha Gökçen (Turkey)
  • Izmir (Turkey)
  • Luxor (Egypt)
  • Marsa Alam (Egypt)
  • Tunis-Carthage International (Tunisia)
Passengers on flights where restrictions have been lifted will now be able to take large phones, laptops, tablets and accessories into the cabin with them.
Governments lifting the restriction and airlines lifting the restriction are not always the same status.

Travel-Quinten Apr 14, 2018 3:11 am

Took the AF promotion from TUN last January. Found the airport quite organised and I (EU citizen) got a free visa on arrival (20 mins wait in line). Security/immigration on departure took 20 min together as well. Not sure if you can do airside transfer. My feeling was Tunis was a safe place, I felt safer than in Caïro (although I can't comment on statistics on safety).

ElJudioErrante Apr 14, 2018 8:43 am

Not a problem.

ElJudioErrante Apr 14, 2018 8:46 am

Originally Posted by Travel-Quinten (Post 29638977)
Took the AF promotion from TUN last January. Found the airport quite organised and I (EU citizen) got a free visa on arrival (20 mins wait in line). Security/immigration on departure took 20 min together as well. Not sure if you can do airside transfer. My feeling was Tunis was a safe place, I felt safer than in Caïro (although I can't comment on statistics on safety).

I agree ...CAI for transfer better than TUN.
CAI is a mess,however the transit staff ("transit police") in their own way...are efficient ...as used to doing their job regularly

sllee Apr 14, 2018 9:10 am

Just returned from TUN last week. The airport is basic but functional. Felt safe in the city. We walked almost everywhere in the city, even took a local train from Tunis to La Goulette at night. Currently, there are a lot of police presence and barricades in the city, especially at Avenue Habib Bourguiba. The locals are very friendly. They really don't bother you, and let you get on with your things. If you are overnighting in Tunis, the taxi fare from TUN to city centre should be around 12-15 dinars (bags included). Don't pay extra for additional passengers.

GetSetJetSet Aug 19, 2018 8:29 am

Just flew TUN-DOH-KUL. The airport in Tunis is awful. City was nice though, went to Bardo Museum, Medina/Souk, Carthage and Sidi Bou Said. I was most disappointed with the state of DOH. The QR lounge was wildly overcrowded even at 1230am, the airport wifi was barely functional. Used to be a pleasant place to transit, now...