Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Chasing 2,000,000 miles on AA or One World

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chasing 2,000,000 miles on AA or One World

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2018, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, DL
Cool Chasing 2,000,000 miles on AA or One World

To fellow travelers:

I'm a recently retired professional who didn't quite make the lifetime Platinum Level on AA, so was planning on this year's newly found flexibility to get me to the 2MM mark for miles flown. I currently have 1,976,800 life time miles on AA, so I need to fly 24,000 more miles this year to make the 2MM mark. I don’t care about qualifying $$s as I just need the miles. So, looking for the best mileage run I can do for minimal $$s.
I'm based out of So Cal with LAX and SNA my preferred airports. Any recommendations would be well appreciated. I'm not shy about mileage runs as I've done the Quito, Panana City, and Hong Kong trips a couple times in the past to maintain status, ie quick overnight turns.

Thanks for any help or recommendations.

Tom

Departure Airport: SNA LAX. ONT
Miles Needed: 24,000
Required Spend or Budget: N/A
Available Travel Dates: Totally flexible except Sat, the 23rd thru Wed, the 26th
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: Aa or sister airline.
No China visa

Last edited by holling911; Dec 4, 2018 at 4:33 pm Reason: Update my needs
Old Jan 25, 2018, 6:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
It will be easy for MR, see a couple of deals during the year out of LAX to Asia or Europe and even Australia on AA or their partners, just make sure you make extra connections when you find good dates, after all you are going for the EQMs, not EQDs/RMs.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Thx.... I'll look for those... Do you typically look for those type runs on here?
Old Jan 27, 2018, 3:07 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by fedechat
It will be easy for MR, see a couple of deals during the year out of LAX to Asia or Europe and even Australia on AA or their partners, just make sure you make extra connections when you find good dates, after all you are going for the EQMs, not EQDs/RMs.
I always wondered about that, but the T&C's say only base miles:
"Only base miles earned by flying on American Airlines, American Eagle or any eligible AAdvantage program participating airline will count toward AAdvantage Million Miler status; AAdvantage bonus miles and additional miles earned through special promotional offers will not count toward Million Miler status."

Of course, PLT gets you basically, well, nothing much. So, find the longest, cheapest (make sure the fare earns full base miles as many partner fares don't,) routes. Of course, being retired you may want to look at just doing over a couple years. I would look at premium cabin in partners as you can get more benefits (and a more comfortable ride,) plus maybe hit some status requirements along the way.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite
Play around with Google Flights right now on SNA-HKG. I am seeing $535. That would be decent to get you there rather quick.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, I appreciate it...
Old Jan 31, 2018, 8:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by holling911
To fellow travelers:
I'm a recently retired professional who didn't quite make the lifetime Platinum Level on AA, so was planning on this year's newly found flexibility to get me to the 2MM mark for miles flown. I currently have 1,903,000 life time miles on AA, so I'm looking to log as many miles as possible this year to get as close to the 2MM mark as possible. I have a "budget" but it is flexible and I'm based out of So Cal with LAX and SNA my preferred airports. Any recommendations would be well appreciated. I'm not shy about mileage runs as I've done the Quito, Panana City trips a couple times in the past to maintain status, ie quick overnight turns.
Thanks for any help or recommendations.
Tom
- If you are flexible and have a free time, why not use this as an opportunity/excuse to travel and visit places rather than just doing a classical mileage run with the same day turn around? I would look at long-haul to South Asia (HKG, BKK, KUL, DPS, SGN - all interesting places to visit and spend a couple days at least). Also, look at AAvacation thread because in many cases you will be able to book flight+hotel at almost the same cost as the flight alone + get extra redeemable miles and EQD. Good luck!
holling911 likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
I'm in a similar situation as the OP, but am only 40,000 miles away from Lifetime Plat. The problem is with only leisure travel in my future... I can't seem to come up with any rational reason to make a special effort (doing MRs) to go for Lifetime plat status (I'll just wait until I reach organically... one day). Perhaps I'm missing something?

Last edited by schriste; Feb 3, 2018 at 11:45 am
Old Feb 7, 2018, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Well, I thought that way as well, but traveling internationally on Platinum at least gives you access to the sister lounges even when you are flying coach. I'm like you in that my now domestic traveling would take years to reach lifetime platinum level, and while I'm still traveling for leisure internationally, it would be nice to have the platinum status..... I am doing a RT, SNA-HKG trip next week which gets me almost 20k in AA miles for $535, so I'm getting closer, but it does such that the flights have to be on AA metal... One can't fly on a one world partner and accrue million miler miles on AA.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Enjoy your flight.

Last edited by schriste; Feb 8, 2018 at 10:49 am
Old Feb 8, 2018, 11:05 am

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
... so I'm getting closer, but it does such that the flights have to be on AA metal... One can't fly on a one world partner and accrue million miler miles on AA.
My understanding is that as long as you are getting EQM credit (base miles but not promotional) those will be added to your lifetime MM.
I flew JAL in Y fare class last Nov- those miles were credited. Also AA codeshare on other metal would credit to your MM.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 10:21 am
Original Poster

I spoke to the Advantage desk yesterday and they told me that flights had to be on AA metal; no code share airlines to count towards the 1MM or 2MM mark. I am doing a great 18k mileage run to HKG from SNA via DFW on Sunday for $538.00 US or 2.9 cents per mile... Plus as a birthday bonus, I took the upgrade to business on the 17 hour outbound to HKG and got it so should be a fairly pleasant trip. Unfortunately though my South African trip on BA from London, I'm told, will not count towards the 2MM requirements... So continuing to look for AA deals to reach the 2MM mark...
Old Feb 13, 2018, 10:35 am

Programs: AA EXP
I spoke to the Advantage desk yesterday and they told me that flights had to be on AA metal; no code share airlines to count towards the 1MM or 2MM mark. I am doing a great 18k mileage run to HKG from SNA via DFW on Sunday for $538.00 US or 2.9 cents per mile... Plus as a birthday bonus, I took the upgrade to business on the 17 hour outbound to HKG and got it so should be a fairly pleasant trip. Unfortunately though my South African trip on BA from London, I'm told, will not count towards the 2MM requirements... So continuing to look for AA deals to reach the 2MM mark...
Sorry, the AAdvantage agent you spoke to yesterday gave you bad information. Partner travel absolutely counts toward Million Miler balances, as long as the fare is eligible to earn EQMs. I'm 100% sure about this. See attached pic from my account. I flew CX and QR last month and the flights all counted toward Million Miler.

I believe MM progress is awarded based on the lesser of EQMs earned or actual distance flown. This is especially relevant on discount economy partner fares that may earn anywhere from 0% to 75% EQM.

From AA.com:
Which miles will count for the AAdvantage Million Miler program?
Base miles earned by flying on American Airlines, American Eagle or any AAdvantage program participating airline will count toward AAdvantage Million Miler status.

Last edited by swingaling; Feb 13, 2018 at 10:48 am
Old Aug 21, 2018, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Missed this for some reason. Thanks for the clarification. Makes it easier!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.