Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

LA: MIA-JNB r/t in J for ~$2,300

LA: MIA-JNB r/t in J for ~$2,300

Old Mar 1, 18, 10:32 am

Programs: SQ QPPS, *A Gold, EK Skywards Gold
Category 8: Stopover restrictions
3 STOPOVERS PERMITTED ON THE PRICING UNIT LIMITED TO 1 FREE AND 2 AT USD 100.00 EACH. 1 FREE IN JNB 2 AT USD 100.00 EACH.

Seems like stopovers are permitted at a cost, but as pointed out, the fare gets bumped up to J when trying to book a stopover
Old Mar 1, 18, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by kaushik123 View Post
Category 8: Stopover restrictions
3 STOPOVERS PERMITTED ON THE PRICING UNIT LIMITED TO 1 FREE AND 2 AT USD 100.00 EACH. 1 FREE IN JNB 2 AT USD 100.00 EACH.

Seems like stopovers are permitted at a cost, but as pointed out, the fare gets bumped up to J when trying to book a stopover
The issue is the less than full J fares also include this provision:

HIP/MILEAGE EXCEPTIONS

NO HIP OR MILEAGE EXCEPTIONS APPLY.
Old Mar 24, 18, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA ExP (former HP/US), Marriott (former SPG) Lifetime Platinum, and most other major hotel programs
LATAM: MIA/JNB via GRU $2,523 in Business

MIA-GRU-JNB and return in Business Class
  • $2,522.76 Round trip (Z outbound, I return)
  • 12 hour layover outbound (best available) / 5 hour layover returning
  • MIA-GRU is angled seats / GRU-JNB is lie-flat
  • AA credit: 26K EQMs / 3481 EQDs
  • I booked via Orbitz because booking on the LATAM web site was really flaky.*
There are some lower fares ($200 less) but they involve an 18 or 22-hour GRU layover on the return.

* Note: Flights and classes shown on flight selection screen do not necessarily book all in Business Class or at the same price when you go to buy.

Last edited by PhoenixCMC; Mar 25, 18 at 10:34 am Reason: Mistake
Old Mar 24, 18, 4:45 pm

Programs: AS G75, UA GOLD MM, DL MM
Originally Posted by PhoenixCMC View Post
MIA-GRU-JNB and return in Business Class
  • $2,522.76 Round trip (W outbound, I return)
  • 12 hour layover outbound (best available) / 5 hour layover returning
  • MIA-GRU is angled seats / GRU-JNB is lie-flat
  • AA credit: 26K EQMs / 3481 EQDs
  • I booked via Orbitz because booking on the LATAM web site was really flaky.*
There are some lower fares ($200 less) but they involve an 18 or 22-hour GRU layover on the return.

* Note: Flights and classes shown on flight selection screen do not necessarily book all in Business Class or at the same price when you go to buy.
Stopovers allowed?
Old Mar 24, 18, 5:31 pm

Programs: OWE,*A G, Bonvoy LT TE, HHonors Diamond, WoH Globalist
W is Premium Economy with LATAM.
Old Mar 24, 18, 5:39 pm

Existing thread about this (or I should say these) fare(s) here

One fare has a 7 day min and is roughly $2300.
There is another fare with a 3 day min that is about $2700.

If you use something more advanced than Google flights you can easily avoid the MIA-GRU JJ angled seats. You can easily route this on AA metal or via SCL or JFK to get JJ/LA flat bed all the way.

Last edited by stephem; Mar 24, 18 at 5:46 pm
Old Mar 24, 18, 8:56 pm

Programs: DL Ham Samich
Originally Posted by stephem View Post

If you use something more advanced than Google flights you can easily avoid the MIA-GRU JJ angled seats. You can easily route this on AA metal or via SCL or JFK to get JJ/LA flat bed all the way.
I canít locate any routings via JFK or SCL on ITA. Mind sharing an example?
Old Mar 25, 18, 10:36 am

Programs: AA ExP (former HP/US), Marriott (former SPG) Lifetime Platinum, and most other major hotel programs
Originally Posted by Jaenks View Post
W is Premium Economy with LATAM.
My mistake, I actually booked in Z outbound and I return. Corrected it in original post.
Old Mar 25, 18, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by stephem View Post

Thanks for suggestions. I saw the AA options but was concerned that if they were code shares, I might get fewer EQDs.

I actually don't mind angled flat seats ... not as good as AA's lie flat pods, but looking at the dimensions on Seatguru, they seemed OK as long as my wife and I get the two by the window instead of 2 of the 3 in the center.

I also avoided the SA code share options on the GRU/JNB leg.
Old Mar 25, 18, 11:22 am
Formerly known as jlars77

All JJ metal seems like the way to go for mileage, would the hard product on the 767 also be considered superior to the SA A330 GRU - JNB? Availability appears to still be wide open through the end of schedule.
Old Mar 25, 18, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Thanks for suggestions. I saw the AA options but was concerned that if they were code shares, I might get fewer EQDs.
FWIW, AA awards EQM/EQD/RDM based on the marketing carrier. So, a JJ marketed flight on AA metal would earn based on the JJ award tables.
Old Mar 26, 18, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by swingaling View Post
FWIW, AA awards EQM/EQD/RDM based on the marketing carrier. So, a JJ marketed flight on AA metal would earn based on the JJ award tables.
Thank you swingaling. I remember reading somewhere that code share flights only accrue EQM, RDM, etc. if the flights are on OW carriers (or carriers like Alaska that have sharing agreements with AA). Is this no longer true? I have seen nothing to the contrary on the AA web site.

Also, somewhere above in this thread there was an admonition that only LA flights (not JJ) accrue EQMs, etc. ... but the AA web site clearly shows that LAN and TAM have essentially the same award tables.
Old Mar 26, 18, 9:16 am

Thank you swingaling. I remember reading somewhere that code share flights only accrue EQM, RDM, etc. if the flights are on OW carriers (or carriers like Alaska that have sharing agreements with AA). Is this no longer true? I have seen nothing to the contrary on the AA web site.

Also, somewhere above in this thread there was an admonition that only LA flights (not JJ) accrue EQMs, etc. ... but the AA web site clearly shows that LAN and TAM have essentially the same award tables.
The general rule is all flights marketed and operated by OW carriers and their affiliates earn EQM/EQD/RDM according to the tables on aa.com. The exception here is that all AA & QF codeshares earn EQM/EQD/RDM at the usual rates, regardless of operating carrier. So a QF codeshare on EK metal would earn EQM/EQD/RDM at the usual rates. The rules for earnings on non-OW marketed flights (AS, EY, etc) are different, and they vary by carrier.

JJ and LA are both members of OW. Flights operated and/or marketed by JJ/LA will earn EQM/EQD/RDM with AA (provided the marketing carrier, if it's not JJ/LA, is a OW member or affiliate). The only exception here is that flights on PZ (a small JJ subsidiary) do not earn anything, as PZ is not yet part of OW. PZ operates from Paraguay with a fleet of 4 planes, so you'd be unlikely to encounter them anyway.
Old Aug 14, 18, 12:12 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Plat, Delta Silver
I was able to find a MIA-GRU-JNB return in October for about $3050. However, the MIA-GRU segments are on AA and the GRU-JNB segments are on LATAM (they have LATAM codes) as I couldn't ever actually book the all LATAM flights.

How would EQDs be calculated? Would it be based on my fare, or since I'm on LATAM coded flights, are the AA flights calculated normally (if so, Is there a way to get the pricing breakdown by segment?), and the LATAM flights done via the new EQD chart?

Sorry- I'm a bit of a newbie on how this all works...
Old Aug 14, 18, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by stockboy85 View Post
I was able to find a MIA-GRU-JNB return in October for about $3050. However, the MIA-GRU segments are on AA and the GRU-JNB segments are on LATAM (they have LATAM codes) as I couldn't ever actually book the all LATAM flights.

How would EQDs be calculated? Would it be based on my fare, or since I'm on LATAM coded flights, are the AA flights calculated normally (if so, Is there a way to get the pricing breakdown by segment?), and the LATAM flights done via the new EQD chart?

Sorry- I'm a bit of a newbie on how this all works...
I don't know if I'm just drunk or this is a lot to bite off here. You're gonna get a lot. More than what you paid. I did.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: