Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

LA: MIA-JNB r/t in J for ~$2,300

LA: MIA-JNB r/t in J for ~$2,300

Old Jan 17, 18, 10:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rollthere View Post
Probably a stupid question, but does a US citizen need a visa/transit visa to transit GRU on this itinerary?
Brazil just introduced e-visa to US citizens this month. You can apply online and pay $40.
rollthere likes this.
Old Jan 30, 18, 8:46 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA Silver, SPG/Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Diamond
LATAM MIA-JNB ~$2,300 in J

Decent availability throughout the fall with multiple options on routing via LIM, SCL, or even JFK. It's also possible to add a connection to CPT inbound/outbound.

Sample dates: 10 Oct to 17 Oct
Routing: MIA-GRU-JNB-GRU-MIA

Most legs price as "I" or "Z", but I was able to get "J" with some alternative routing via SCL. This brought the price down to about 7.4 cents per EQM. Total expected EQD is a little north of $4k on my itinerary.

Use GF to play with the routingand then price using LATAM's website (very easy when using multi-city option).
Old Jan 31, 18, 7:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
Probably a stupid question, but does a US citizen need a visa/transit visa to transit GRU on this itinerary?
No, you don't need a Visa to transit in GRU.
Old Jan 31, 18, 8:03 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by globetrotter85 View Post
Decent availability throughout the fall with multiple options on routing via LIM, SCL, or even JFK. It's also possible to add a connection to CPT inbound/outbound.

Sample dates: 10 Oct to 17 Oct
Routing: MIA-GRU-JNB-GRU-MIA

Most legs price as "I" or "Z", but I was able to get "J" with some alternative routing via SCL. This brought the price down to about 7.4 cents per EQM. Total expected EQD is a little north of $4k on my itinerary.

Use GF to play with the routingand then price using LATAM's website (very easy when using multi-city option).
Thanks for bumping this!

I played around a little. Most of the fares I'm finding are around $2700. The easiest is MIA-GRU-JNB, JNB-GRU-MIA. There's a longish layover in GRU on the outbound (12 hours), but could easily head into town for a bit.
I also found MIA-SCL-GRU-JNB, JNB-GRU-LIM-MIA. With this, the MIA-SCL leg is on a B787. There's a longish layover at SCL, but it looks like Chile no longer requires a special visa.
All of the TA legs seem to be on a B767. Does anyone know how those are? I have horrible memories of US and AA B767's.

Right now I'm tentatively looking at early/mid Sep. It is a toss up of this or PE on BA to PVG. Of course this would be more comfortable. The BA option is much more seamless, AUS-LHR-PVG (I did it last year). For this I'd need to position to MIA.

I've been to JNB before and liked it. A car rental (with full insurance) was cheap. And if you have a spare day, I highly recommend driving out to Pilanesburg NP. Heck if I do this run I'd go again.
Old Jan 31, 18, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by aztimm View Post
Thanks for bumping this!

I played around a little. Most of the fares I'm finding are around $2700. The easiest is MIA-GRU-JNB, JNB-GRU-MIA. There's a longish layover in GRU on the outbound (12 hours), but could easily head into town for a bit.
I also found MIA-SCL-GRU-JNB, JNB-GRU-LIM-MIA. With this, the MIA-SCL leg is on a B787. There's a longish layover at SCL, but it looks like Chile no longer requires a special visa.
All of the TA legs seem to be on a B767. Does anyone know how those are? I have horrible memories of US and AA B767's.

Right now I'm tentatively looking at early/mid Sep. It is a toss up of this or PE on BA to PVG. Of course this would be more comfortable. The BA option is much more seamless, AUS-LHR-PVG (I did it last year). For this I'd need to position to MIA.

I've been to JNB before and liked it. A car rental (with full insurance) was cheap. And if you have a spare day, I highly recommend driving out to Pilanesburg NP. Heck if I do this run I'd go again.
I'm looking into this fare to go to CPT--I'd have to position to MIA from BOS as well, but given the relative lack of US-Africa premium fare deals, this could be worth it. For the dates I'm considering in early November, I can get the same MIA-GRU-JNB and back itinerary you described for $2,320, or a MIA-SCL-GRU-JNB, JNB-GRU-MIA itinerary for the same price, with three hours each in SCL and GRU. Perhaps inventory is a little more limited in September.

The JJ 767s used on JNB-GRU sport these fully lie flat seats in a 2-2-2 configuration, similar to those on the LA 788s except slightly narrower and without an ottoman. Significantly better than NGBC or whatever was on those old US birds!
aztimm likes this.
Old Jan 31, 18, 9:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by dkc192 View Post
I'm looking into this fare to go to CPT--I'd have to position to MIA from BOS as well, but given the relative lack of US-Africa premium fare deals, this could be worth it. For the dates I'm considering in early November, I can get the same MIA-GRU-JNB and back itinerary you described for $2,320, or a MIA-SCL-GRU-JNB, JNB-GRU-MIA itinerary for the same price, with three hours each in SCL and GRU. Perhaps inventory is a little more limited in September.

The JJ 767s used on JNB-GRU sport these fully lie flat seats in a 2-2-2 configuration, similar to those on the LA 788s except slightly narrower and without an ottoman. Significantly better than NGBC or whatever was on those old US birds!
Any chance you could post a GoogleFlight link through SCL?
I am getting $4,000+
Old Jan 31, 18, 9:15 pm

One fare has a 7 day min and is roughly $2300.
There is another fare with a 3 day min that is about $2700.
Great fares, probably using one of these in March.
aztimm likes this.
Old Jan 31, 18, 9:30 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by 236Dakota View Post
Any chance you could post a GoogleFlight link through SCL?
I am getting $4,000+
Here you go: MIA-SCL-GRU-JNB

I'm not sure that an hour at GRU is enough time, for that SCL-JNB connection. I've been playing with dates and found something longer.
Old Jan 31, 18, 9:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by aztimm View Post
Here you go: MIA-SCL-GRU-JNB

I'm not sure that an hour at GRU is enough time, for that SCL-JNB connection. I've been playing with dates and found something longer.
Thank you!
Old Feb 3, 18, 7:38 pm

There is a slight more expensive LA IEEEV38Q JNB-MIA fare, that allows routing back through Europe and I priced it with JJ ZEEEV58Q MIA-JNB on the outbound, then stopping in MAD with the more expensive LA fare and it comes out to $2800. That's a really good deal for a circle Atlantic of sorts. The complete routing on the return is JNB-MAD-BOG-MIA, IB metal for the first two segments and AA for the last one. It's also possible to do JNB-LHR-MAD on BA metal but this is more since I think it exceeds MPM. Only the MAD-BOG segment needs to have the LA code on it. There are also some odd things that can be done, like routing through NYC and getting EWR-GRU on UA on the outbound or either LH or LX metal to Europe for the return. The more expensive fare definitely has more tricks in it.
Old Feb 3, 18, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by stephem View Post
There is a slight more expensive LA IEEEV38Q JNB-MIA fare, that allows routing back through Europe and I priced it with JJ ZEEEV58Q MIA-JNB on the outbound, then stopping in MAD with the more expensive LA fare and it comes out to $2800. That's a really good deal for a circle Atlantic of sorts. The complete routing on the return is JNB-MAD-BOG-MIA, IB metal for the first two segments and AA for the last one. It's also possible to do JNB-LHR-MAD on BA metal but this is more since I think it exceeds MPM. Only the MAD-BOG segment needs to have the LA code on it. There are also some odd things that can be done, like routing through NYC and getting EWR-GRU on UA on the outbound or either LH or LX metal to Europe for the return. The more expensive fare definitely has more tricks in it.
Is that a JNB-MIA fare or MIA-JNB fare? If you start in MIA, what is the routing through MAD?
Old Feb 3, 18, 9:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP (OW Emerarld), AS MVPG
Originally Posted by cheltzel View Post
Is that a JNB-MIA fare or MIA-JNB fare? If you start in MIA, what is the routing through MAD?
No he was specifically speaking of a separate fare basis routing through MAD on the return. MIA-GRU-JNB-MAD-BOG-MAD and that the MAD-BOG IB flight only needed to have the LA code to make it an LA/JJ fare.

https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...1126;sc=b;eo=e

Edit: here's an itinerary for about $3800 but the big problem is that it books directly through AA.com so you would receive EQD based on fare rather than distance. Need to find it through LA or another OTA.

Last edited by rollthere; Feb 3, 18 at 9:21 pm
Old Feb 3, 18, 10:28 pm

The slightly more expensive fare basis is available both ways, you can use the cheap one in one direction and the more expensive one in the other direction. The cheaper one doesnt allow routing through Europe either way and I believe has a HIP check.
Old Feb 4, 18, 11:05 am

Programs: AA EXP (OW Emerarld), AS MVPG
Has anyone figured that an itinerary through CPT with this fare? I keep playing around and can't find it.

Edit: never mind, found it for about $2500 but again books with AA.com. Will keep looking!

Last edited by rollthere; Feb 4, 18 at 11:16 am
Old Feb 5, 18, 12:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Has anyone figured that an itinerary through CPT with this fare? I keep playing around and can't find it.

Edit: never mind, found it for about $2500 but again books with AA.com. Will keep looking!
This past weekend LATAM migrated all JJ flights starting May 11 over to the LA code, except for those in the Brazil-US market. It seems like during this process the JJ codeshares on JNB-CPT and other domestic SA routes were not migrated over--they were legacy carryovers from when JJ was in *A. I just tried to book an itinerary with an add-on leg to CPT in November--the flights show up using the multi-city search, but the website errored out pricing the itinerary. An EF availability search turns up nothing when LA and JJ are specified as the desired airlines. The codeshares might come back with an LA code, they might not.

Last edited by dkc192; Feb 5, 18 at 12:51 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: