Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

JL: LAX/SAN–SGN/HAN for ~$2350 in J

Old Jan 3, 18, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY+ Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist

A pretty decent business class fare from SoCal to Vietnam (books into I class). Some creativity may be required to get SS on both the outbound and inbound. Open jaws are possible. All of these can be booked using a multi-city search on jal.com (ar.jal.co.jp)

For example, I found LAX-NRT-SGN-NRT-LAX for $2,339.

A somewhat more creative routing: LAX-NRT-HAN//SGN-HND-SFO-LGB for $2,347 (last leg is on JetBlue).

SAN-LAX-NRT-HAN//SGN-NRT-LAX-SAN for $2,424.

Last edited by flyingeph12; Jan 3, 18 at 9:43 am
Old Jan 3, 18, 9:24 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Great fare!
JAL is also in the game with a similar fare (2900 USD) to Malaysia. Full flats all the way, with the new cabin layout on the NRT-KUL
https://goo.gl/flights/h5fJ
refundable for 500 USD, changeable for 400.

-NOT APPLICABLE FOR JL FLIGHTS OPERATED BY AA (NO codeshares on TPAC sector)
PERMITTED MON THROUGH THU ON EACH TRANSPACIFIC SECTOR.
NO SEASONAL TRAVEL RESTRICTIONS APPLY.

MINIMUM STAY: TRAVEL FROM INBOUND TRANSPACIFIC SECTOR MUST COMMENCE NO EARLIER THAN THE FIRST SUN AFTER DEPARTURE OF THE OUTBOUND TRANSPACIFIC SECTOR.
MAXIMUM STAY: 3 MONTHS AFTER DEPARTURE FROM FARE ORIGIN.
STOPOVERS: 1 STOPOVER PERMITTED IN EACH DIRECTION AT USD 100.00 IN AREA 3
2 TRANSFERS PERMITTED IN EACH DIRECTION IN YVR/CONTIGUOUS U.S.A./PUERTO RICO/US VIRGIN ISLANDS/MEXICO
IN EACH DIRECTION.
END-ON-END COMBINATIONS PERMITTED WITH US-CANADA
Old Jan 3, 18, 9:29 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, AA Exec Plat
Nice fare. I class only earns 14% on AA so close to a 1:1 EQD.
Old Jan 3, 18, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by frebay View Post
Nice fare. I class only earns 14% on AA so close to a 1:1 EQD.
Yes, unfortunately—hence, a pretty decent fare as opposed to a fabulous one.
Old Jan 3, 18, 10:46 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.1MM
Ss

Originally Posted by flyingeph12 View Post
A pretty decent business class fare from SoCal to Vietnam (books into I class). Some creativity may be required to get SS on both the outbound and inbound. Open jaws are possible. All of these can be booked using a multi-city search on jal.com (ar.jal.co.jp)

For example, I found LAX-NRT-SGN-NRT-LAX for $2,339.

A somewhat more creative routing: LAX-NRT-HAN//SGN-HND-SFO-LGB for $2,347 (last leg is on JetBlue).

SAN-LAX-NRT-HAN//SGN-NRT-LAX-SAN for $2,424.
What is SS? Thanks
Old Jan 3, 18, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by eliteone View Post
What is SS? Thanks
I guess it is a typo - OP meant to type AA (AmericanAirlines). The A and S are adjacent on most keyboards.
Old Jan 3, 18, 11:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Freddorick View Post
I guess it is a typo - OP meant to type AA (AmericanAirlines). The A and S are adjacent on most keyboards.
SS Stands for Sky Suite. It's the "new" lie-flat seats compared to angle seats on some of the 787.

Last edited by caimaster; Jan 3, 18 at 11:56 am
Old Jan 3, 18, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by Freddorick View Post
If the AA-operated LAX-NRT flights on this fare are ticketed as JL codeshares (so, JL EQD and EQM anyway and no possibility of using eVIPs), given the reliable and consistently good service on JL vs. the roll-of-the-dice-depending-on-which-crew-you-get-and-what-mood-they're-in situation on AA,why would anybody choose the AA-operated flights?

Last edited by dogcanyon; Jan 3, 18 at 11:53 am Reason: line overflow
Old Jan 3, 18, 11:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by dogcanyon View Post
If the AA-operated LAX-NRT flights on this fare are ticketed as JL codeshares (so, JL EQD and EQM anyway and no possibility of using eVIPs), given the reliable and consistently good service on JL vs. the roll-of-the-dice-depending-on-which-crew-you-get-and-what-mood-they're-in situation on AA,why would anybody choose the AA-operated flights?
-NOT APPLICABLE FOR JL FLIGHTS OPERATED BY AA (NO codeshares on TPAC sector)
Old Jan 3, 18, 1:41 pm

Programs: DL Ham Samich
Originally Posted by eliteone View Post
What is SS? Thanks
The secret police of the Hitler’s Third Reich, the descendants of whom later became known as “The Alt-Right”

So I’m guessing one of those two
Old Jan 3, 18, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

SS = SkySuites (available on the LAX-NRT and SFO-HND flights, as opposed to the angled flats on SAN-NRT and LAX-KIX).

My hope is that the other SS is no longer (and will never again be) in existence.
kaka likes this.

Last edited by flyingeph12; Jan 3, 18 at 2:10 pm
Old Jan 3, 18, 2:50 pm

Yes, unfortunately—hence, a pretty decent fare as opposed to a fabulous one.
Would still consider this a better deal as you get better seats (assuming you avoid the angled flats), better food, better lounges. Nice find OP, saw a similar deal like this to south east asia last fall.
Old Jan 4, 18, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by caburrito View Post
Would still consider this a better deal as you get better seats (assuming you avoid the angled flats), better food, better lounges. Nice find OP, saw a similar deal like this to south east asia last fall.
Agreed, and I have booked one of these for later in the spring.

But in terms of earning EQDs and RDMs with AAdvantage, this is not necessarily a lucrative fare. As a point of comparison, the most discounted business class fare on CX would earn 100% base miles (plus a 25% cabin bonus) and EQDs at a rate of 25% of miles flown. This earns RDMs at a base rate of 70% with no cabin bonus, and EQDs at a rate of only 14% of miles flown. Of course, I can't remember a time when CX J fares were $2300 from the US, and I definitely think JL J (particularly the SkySuites) beats CX J in terms of seats, food, and service, which are all things I value. However, I also recognize that for some, especially here, RDMs and EQDs will matter more.

Last edited by flyingeph12; Jan 4, 18 at 9:18 am
Old Jan 5, 18, 2:43 pm

SS = SkySuites (available on the LAX-NRT and SFO-HND flights, as opposed to the angled flats on SAN-NRT and LAX-KIX).

My hope is that the other SS is no longer (and will never again be) in existence.
Seats (JAL Business Class) - JAL International Flights
Which generation(s) are the good ones? Which are the bad ones? I have not flown JAL for a decade.

Also, is the fare gone today?
Old Jan 5, 18, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Barkinpark View Post
Seats (JAL Business Class) - JAL International Flights
Which generation(s) are the good ones? Which are the bad ones? I have not flown JAL for a decade.

Also, is the fare gone today?
In my opinion, the SkySuite (which is on the 77W, 788 and some 789s) is the best. The SkySuite III (on some 789s and refurbished 772s) is similar to other reverse herringbone seats, and should also be quite good although I haven't flown in JL's seat in particular. The SkySuite II is on the 767s, and while it is good, it can feel a little cramped. The Shell Flat Neo seats are angled flat—perfectly fine for a day flight but probably not good for a long overnight flight.

From the west coast of U.S. and Canada, the routes with SkySuites (the original, Apex suite) are LAX-NRT and SFO-HND. The YVR-NRT, SAN-NRT and LAX-KIX flights have the angled flat Shell Neo seats.

Indeed, it does look like the fare is gone as of now.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: