Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

AV: JFK - MVD in J for $1,087

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AV: JFK - MVD in J for $1,087

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2017, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
JFK-MVD for under 1,300 RT in J class.

Flights on Avianca.

You can use google flights to find that availability is from October until May! Wide open dates for the most part but the connections can be brutal.

A330 from JFK to Bogota
A319/A320 from several latin america cities to MVD

https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...V570;sc=b;eo=e

Last edited by Cthunder86; Sep 19, 2017 at 5:41 pm
Old Sep 19, 2017, 5:38 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Carrier would be nice probably avianca I'm guessing
Cthunder86 likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 7:08 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Also JFK-VVI/LPB for $818

Thanks to OP for posting, better than recliner seats with CM all the way down to Argentina for a little bit more, actually, it's even better at $1050 USD. Funny part is the economy class ticket is $800 USD, which I would consider more expensive after factoring mileage accruals. ATM, the cheapest option in J to South America with AV is JFK-LPB/VVI at $818 (also in terms of cpm).

JFK-MVD is quite useful if you need to get to other parts of Central/South America/Caribbeans. Going to Brazil and Argentina, you can re-position from MVD. You can also book stopover(s) at AV hubs (LIM, SAL, or BOG) for slightly higher fares. However, if you try to add a stopover elsewhere, in my case, CUZ, the fare doubles. Any other combination from Eastern US or Canada to South America (other than JFK-Bolivia) will be at least twice as much.

If you need to go elsewhere, you may also make quick turnaround at MVD with this price by forcing outbound flight with connection in LIM so you'll arrive with AV905 around 4 am, and leave MVD the same day at 8 am with AV110, I'm unable to book the same planes in both directions in the same days but it's risky anyway under 2 hours (AV109-AV110 and AV905-AV904), I seem to be able to create stopover(s) in both directions (to and from MVD) at SAL, BOG, and LIM.

Last edited by vincewy; Sep 23, 2017 at 9:32 pm
Old Sep 19, 2017, 7:48 pm

All of those "Avianca, operated by TACA" - do they accrue anything to UA MP?
Old Sep 19, 2017, 8:22 pm

Programs: United Premier
Originally Posted by vincewy
Thanks to OP for posting, better than recliner seats with CM all the way down to Argentina for a little bit more, actually, it's even better at $1050 USD.

You can book a stopover in either LIM, SAL, or BOG for $50 more. However, if you try to add a stopover in Peru, it only allows LIM, I tried to add CUZ instead of LIM, the fare doubles, this fare seems to only allow JFK to MVD, no open jaw allowed either.

I'll probably go to SCL with this ticket. Any other combination from Eastern US or Canada to South America will be twice as much.
How do you price to Arg? To EZE?

I tried that and nothing for less than 2200
Old Sep 19, 2017, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by JayEX35
How do you price to Arg? To EZE?

I tried that and nothing for less than 2200
That's why it's a good deal. I actually plan to go to Chile but it might be worth going through Uruguay and save at least $1000 while getting my TK status miles for renewal, at less than 7cpm (both tier and award) it's a deal for flying J.

There are bus and boat options from Montevideo to BA and other cities in Argentina so research a little bit, if you book via Expedia you have 24 hours to cancel. Avoid booking with avianca.com if you need to book multiple trips and keep only one within 24 hours. My last cancellation and refund took 42 days from Avianca, this is one scenario where dealing with Expedia/Orbitz is more convenient.

p.s. If you're based in YYZ AM's YYZ-EZE might be a better deal without going through US at $1600 USD. You get to fly 787 from MEX all the way to EZE.....
..... and, if you don't mind recliner seats all the way to Argentina, CM has YYZ-COR/ROS for around $1350 USD all year.

Last edited by vincewy; Sep 19, 2017 at 9:14 pm
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by br2k
TACA is listed as a wholly-owned subsidiary of Avianca and thus a Star Alliance member. They should earn using the Avianca chart (which actually reads "Avianca, which includes TACA).
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:35 pm

If you're based in YYZ AM's YYZ-EZE might be a better deal without going through US at $1600 USD. You get to fly 787 from MEX all the way to EZE.....
MEX<->EZE now appears to be served by B777 (angled-flat), looking at Nov'17
Old Sep 19, 2017, 11:32 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by Cthunder86
Flights on Avianca.

You can use google flights to find that availability is from October until May! Wide open dates for the most part but the connections can be brutal.

A330 from JFK to Bogota
A319/A320 from several latin america cities to MVD
Great find!

It might be that nicer connections are available as this fare allows for multiple routings:

PHP Code:
WH01*  /WITHIN THE WESTERN HEMISPHEREPUBLISHED RTG 15         
       1. NYC
-BOG-AV-LIM-TA/AV-MVD                              
       2. NYC
-AV-MDE/CLO-AV-LIM-TA/AV-MVD                       
       3. NYC
-AV-SAL-AV-BOG-LIM-TA/AV-MVD                       
       4. NYC
-AV-SAL-AV-BOG-MVD 
Even better - 1 free stopover is permitted:

PHP Code:
08.STOPOVERS                                                    
   UNLIMITED STOPOVERS PERMITTED ON THE PRICING UNIT            
     LIMITED TO 1 FREE 
AND UNLIMITED AT USD 100.00              
     EACH

NO STOPOVER OCCURS IF PASSENGER TAKES NEXT                 
      AVAILABLE FLIGHT WITHIN 24 HOURS

Old Sep 19, 2017, 11:41 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
CUZ, the fare doubles, this fare seems to only allow JFK to MVD, no open jaw allowed either.
Yes - CUZ is not in the published routing. Make a stopover in LIM and buy separate ticket(s). Not very cheap for extranjeros, but shop around as there are multiple carriers serving this route now. Check Peruvian or Viva.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 12:11 am

Originally Posted by TPJ
Yes - CUZ is not in the published routing. Make a stopover in LIM and buy separate ticket(s). Not very cheap for extranjeros, but shop around as there are multiple carriers serving this route now. Check Peruvian or Viva.
LIM-CUZ award tix are 4,500 BA Avios o.w. on LATAM.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 3:59 am

Programs: BA*GGL, A3*G, AF*P, VS*S
Seating varies a LOT

Originally Posted by br2k
Also worth noting that whilst most Avianca planes, including s/h fleet, have nice modern biz class seats with decent recline etc, most Taca planes are dilapidated with a mediocre old hard product. I wasted $150 on an upgrade at check-in at MVD when the staff failed to disclose this.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by frb98mf
Also worth noting that whilst most Avianca planes, including s/h fleet, have nice modern biz class seats with decent recline etc, most Taca planes are dilapidated with a mediocre old hard product. I wasted $150 on an upgrade at check-in at MVD when the staff failed to disclose this.
Even among the narrow bodies they vary considerably, I had 1 segment without footrest, which was a killer trying to get some sleep.

Besides seating, keep in mind that certain dates, you need to take the worst connections (10 hours in LIM or BOG for example) to get this special fare, instead of 1 connection between JFK and MVD with 1 segment in A330, up to 3 all in A320s. On certain dates the best connections and timing can cost a lot more.

Nonetheless, it's still a good deal if you need to get miles, you can break the journey in SAL, BOG, or LIM without paying extra $100 if it's less than 24 hours. The $50 mentioned earlier is the airport tax for any connection over 24 hours (stopover).

Last edited by vincewy; Sep 20, 2017 at 9:53 pm
Old Sep 25, 2017, 10:57 pm

Turn around at LPB/VVI possible?

I've just priced out tickets JFK-LIM for $838 in J with a twist, it involves quick turnaround in Bolivia. I would consider if I don't need to get visa ($160 USD for US passport holders) in Bolivia and in this case agent in LIM can tag my bag all the way to JFK.

JFK-LIM day 1
LIM-LPB day 10
LPB-JFK day 11

The same plane stays in LPB 2 hours, if you choose VVI it's 5 hours.

Other combinations worth looking, although not necessarily MR fares, that can be combined with this JFK-MVD pricing

MIA-CUZ,MVD-JFK and vice versa from $1178
, all in business, D fares. From MIA, it's priced almost the same with other cities in Peru.

MIA/FLL-SCL,MVD-JFK and vice versa from $1250, all in business in D fares, JFK-MVD, E (economy) and A (business) between Florida and SCL, the economy segment is usually MIA-BOG or SCL-LIM, some OTAs offer all business for about $100 more in A for both segments, both A and E earn 100% miles for most *A programs.

This is the US-SCL mixed class tickets with the shorter segments in Y (E fare) and longer segments in J (A fare), with MIA and FLL being the cheapest.

Another possibility to take advantage of JFK-MVD, if you're planning trips to South America, plus 1 in Central America,

JFK-MVD,SCL-LIM/BOG-GUA/SJO/PTY/SAL/MEX/CUN from $1158 with MEX
, all segments in business, D with JFK-MVD, A with SCL-CAm.

Depending on where you're located it can be very cheap to get back to US or Canada from one of those CAm cities in Y. It may also be possible to get to Caribbean instead of CAm from SCL.

Last edited by vincewy; Sep 29, 2017 at 7:32 am
Old Oct 1, 2017, 3:32 pm

Av: Jfk - mvd $1,019 rt

For Star Alliance flyers, or anyone looking to make it to Uruguay, this is a great premium fare deal available all the way through the Summer season.

Example:
Route: JFK -> BOG -> MVD
Dates: Jan 18 - 25

https://concorde.io/deals/av-jfk-mvd...019-round-trip
https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...018-01-25;sc=b

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.