Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

Cx pe sfo/nyc/lax/bos/ord-hkg $1185

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cx pe sfo/nyc/lax/bos/ord-hkg $1185

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2017, 6:27 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by olouie
$100 change or cancel fee for PEY is pretty decent. But yeah $400-500 for J kind of sucks.
Yes, great for early MR for AA fellows, and for those who could make travel plans this early...I might jump in a J, since PEY is usually not that expensive excluding ex-HKG flights.
CX seems to target AA folks, with one of the T&C: “May be eligible for Asia Miles & AAdvantage Miles, depending on fare class booked.” calling out AA specifically lol.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by andersonCooper
Yes, great for early MR for AA fellows, and for those who could make travel plans this early...I might jump in a J, since PEY is usually not that expensive excluding ex-HKG flights.
CX seems to target AA folks, with one of the T&C: “May be eligible for Asia Miles & AAdvantage Miles, depending on fare class booked.” calling out AA specifically lol.
Wish there was a way to book the outbound in PEY and return in J. Service from SFO on the midnight flights has been mediocre but from HKG it’s usually top notch. That plus it’s easier for me to sleep on the late departure flights so PEY isn’t a big deal.

But the J prices are very tempting, esp for travel around CNY.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 6:48 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
$3K for J is pretty meh in my opinion, too. But I am fine positioning to YVR or YYZ, where J fares to Asia are consistently under $3K. And from NYC, AY J is pretty consistently around $3K.

Also, it sort of makes sense to single out AAdvantage, given it’s a Black Friday sale from US cities—in the same way it might make sense to single out Avios if it were a sale from LHR.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
$3K for J is pretty meh in my opinion, too. But I am fine positioning to YVR or YYZ, where J fares to Asia are consistently under $3K. And from NYC, AY J is pretty consistently around $3K.

Also, it sort of makes sense to single out AAdvantage, given it’s a Black Friday sale from US cities.
As a NYer I have never seen normal price for ex-HKG price (excluding sales) below $5k, as CX defines HKG-JFK/EWR as business route, so the price won't go down.

AY does not have direct to HKG and good luck finding 1-stop cheap deal, good for MR, but not good for schedules. Again, comparing AY/AA J fare to CX does not mean too much, same way as comparing AA Y deals to WOW everyday price to N. Europe.

It makes little sense to call out AA (and AA/BA never does that on BF or Boxing Days sales even with JV), since CX is paying AA for those miles - unless CX finally realizes a lot of ex-MPC jump ship due to MPC changes last couple years(and this is my point...)

Last edited by andersonCooper; Nov 23, 2017 at 7:11 am
Old Nov 23, 2017, 7:32 am

As a NYer I have never seen normal price for ex-HKG price (excluding sales) below $5k, as CX defines HKG-JFK/EWR as business route, so the price won't go down.

AY does not have direct to HKG and good luck finding 1-stop cheap deal, good for MR, but not good for schedules. Again, comparing AY/AA J fare to CX does not mean too much, same way as comparing AA Y deals to WOW everyday price to N. Europe.

It makes little sense to call out AA (and AA/BA never does that on BF or Boxing Days sales even with JV), since CX is paying AA for those miles - unless CX finally realizes a lot of ex-MPC jump ship due to MPC changes last couple years(and this is my point...)
Does this work in the reverse direction? I don’t really see much availability ex-HKG on CX for $3K.

I agree that AY J ex-NYC doesn’t work well if I were schedule sensitive, but this is a MR forum
Old Nov 23, 2017, 7:44 am

Does this work in the reverse direction? I don’t really see much availability ex-HKG on CX for $3K.

I agree that AY J ex-NYC doesn’t work well if I were schedule sensitive, but this is a MR forum
I don't believe the reserve direction works, only departing US. It's also a good deal to go from NYC to Tokyo (when there was availability yesterday) in J for ~$3,400. JL and AA can't beat that price.
For $3k in J, I agree it's a meh in terms of MR, since AA only gives 1.5 EQM for partners. CX E is the way to go.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 8:13 am

It's also a good deal to go from NYC to Tokyo (when there was availability yesterday) in J for ~$3,400. JL and AA can't beat that price..
If I had to connect in HKG to get to TYO, I might as well connect in HEL and save $400 (unless I wanted to fly into HND).

If I were going solely on cost, JL occasionally sells YYZ/YUL-TYO for $2400 in J (connecting through JFK, ORD, or BOS usually), but of course, that requires positioning.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 8:31 am

If I had to connect in HKG to get to TYO, I might as well connect in HEL and save $400 (unless I wanted to fly into HND).

If I were going solely on cost, JL occasionally sells YYZ/YUL-TYO for $2400 in J (connecting through JFK, ORD, or BOS usually), but of course, that requires positioning.
Not a fan of HEL but just for the sake of Pier, I would do HKG transit. I haven't seen that JL deals for a while, mostly because I am not looking for flying to YYZ from JFK, and then to connect via JFK.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 8:47 am

Programs: AA-Executive Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, IHG-Platinum, Marriott-PPE, Alaska- MVP75K
AWESOME.. I was waiting for this promo every Thanksgiving.
I just booked 1 ticket for SFO-HKG-HND RT and 3 tickets for SFO-HKG RT. ( Also booked AA cheap fare $4XX from SFO to BCN and LAX -HKG)

Well, Cost is about slightly below $6000 to keep my AA EXP. :-P
Old Nov 23, 2017, 9:40 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA 1k.
Originally Posted by garykung
... But it is strange that UA only gives BR's P 50% even it is a PEY fare class.
That must a typo on UA's site about P earning only 50% because it lists Premium Economy on BR at 100%.

Anyway, CX PE is attractive because of relatively easy upgrades.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 10:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, Alaska MVP 75k, IHG Spire, Hyatt Globalist
Has anyone tried calling Amex to see if IAP discount can lower this even more?
Old Nov 23, 2017, 11:10 am

Programs: AA EXPLAT, HYATT GLOBALIST, AS75K
If I'm AA EXP through Jan 31, how can I requalify in Jan with this promo from LAX. Will four round trips in Prem Econ do it? Can someone please help me with the math? It seems like I'd fall way short of EQD -- unless I upgrade to the Silver Aviator card from Red perhaps?
Old Nov 23, 2017, 11:35 am

Programs: AA PP, OZ *G, Hyatt Expl, Marriott Gold, Lots of Ex-statuses
Originally Posted by ThreeA4Me
If I'm AA EXP through Jan 31, how can I requalify in Jan with this promo from LAX. Will four round trips in Prem Econ do it? Can someone please help me with the math? It seems like I'd fall way short of EQD -- unless I upgrade to the Silver Aviator card from Red perhaps?
Based on OP (~$2700 EQD, ~20K EQM), it sounds like you'd need five roundtrips to get 12K EQD + 100K EQM. Remember that your EQD will be distance based since it's not an AA ticket.

I also saw that Delta has PE fares for ~$930 from JFK/SFO via SEA. Obv. not real PE since it's just Comfort Plus, but it does earn 125% in Flying Blue, so you can earn ~22K FB Status miles per run (before their changes in April).
Old Nov 23, 2017, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by vip66
That must a typo on UA's site about P earning only 50% because it lists Premium Economy on BR at 100%.

Anyway, CX PE is attractive because of relatively easy upgrades.
Dont think that is a typo, even on BR sure it has a note for P that suggests BR only started giving P fares 100% recently. And other threads on FT say P is 50%. But in any case not worh the risk.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA-Executive Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, IHG-Platinum, Marriott-PPE, Alaska- MVP75K
Originally Posted by ThreeA4Me
You need 5 RTs LAX-HKG to meet AA EXP requirement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.