Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

China Eastern: CRK/CEB to SFO/LAX/ORD, JFK $1,134 RT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

China Eastern: CRK/CEB to SFO/LAX/ORD, JFK $1,134 RT

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2017, 7:52 pm
AHO

Originally Posted by TerryK
Infant must travel in the same cabin as adults. You can pay 75% of this I fare for infant with seat. This fare is the very lowest for business cabin. If you want 10% infant fare, you need to purchase J fare which will end up about the same but without seat and miles for your infant.
The difference between infant fare and child fare is, fuel surcharge.
Infant without own seat does not need to pay fuel surcharge whilst child (with own seat) has to pay fuel surcharge.

Thus the price difference is not only 25% - 10% = 15%, but with fuel surcharge.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 7:14 pm

It appears that MU has reduced the number of flights to CRK starting in February. I just got a call from Expedia to let me know that my PVG-CRK leg in July has been canceled and I am offered to be accommodated on a flight to MNL, an hour later. Ha ha, of course I prefer to fly to MNL! They allowed me to get back to them at a later time, giving me the option to cancel for free if my plans change.

Too bad there's no such change to my similar flight next month, as I do need to cancel that trip.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 10:00 pm
Fyd

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by AHO
The difference between infant fare and child fare is, fuel surcharge.
Infant without own seat does not need to pay fuel surcharge whilst child (with own seat) has to pay fuel surcharge.
Flights originating in PHL don't carry fuel charges, not allowed by government...
Old Dec 12, 2017, 10:42 pm
AHO

Originally Posted by Fyd
Flights originating in PHL don't carry fuel charges, not allowed by government...
Please do not use PHL as an abbreviation of Philippines. For most of FlyerTalker, PHL is for Philadelphia, not Philippines.

Philippines government may probably not allow charge Fuel surcharge on Philippines-first city segment, but not further flight. See the examples below.

Clark-Shanghai-Los Angeles R/T: 350 USD as fuel surcharge

Clark-Shanghai R/T: 8 USD as fuel surcharge (but I guess it's insurance fee)
Old Dec 13, 2017, 5:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Global Entry
You can save $32.20

If you show a passport that is not from Philippines at ticket issuance, you can get the Philippines travel tax taken off, saving you $32.20.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by atLAS, aLAS
If you show a passport that is not from Philippines at ticket issuance, you can get the Philippines travel tax taken off, saving you $32.20.
How does it work with OTA?
Old Dec 13, 2017, 9:58 pm
Fyd

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by AHO
Please do not use PHL as an abbreviation of Philippines. For most of FlyerTalker, PHL is for Philadelphia, not Philippines.

Philippines government may probably not allow charge Fuel surcharge on Philippines-first city segment, but not further flight. See the examples below.

Clark-Shanghai-Los Angeles R/T: 350 USD as fuel surcharge

Clark-Shanghai R/T: 8 USD as fuel surcharge (but I guess it's insurance fee)
1. Fuel surcharges are not allowed for any flight originating in the Philippines, regardless of connections.
2. Your screenshot only shows a "carrier surcharge" not a fuel surcharge. The government only regulates fuel surcharges... Also, some carriers will list fuel surcharges, even if they are illegal for departures from the PHL. You can try to claim it back ( I wouldn't bother) or report MU to the authorities ...
2. Welcome to Asia, anybody flying from/to the Philippines will/should recognize the abbreviation PHL in the context of this thread... context is everything, not sure how anybody would mistake my response for Philadelphia...
3. You could theoretically claim back the tax, but it's not really practical considering the time & effort required.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by atLAS, aLAS
How does it work with OTA?
I believe the travel tax is only collected at the time of ticketing for purchases in the Philippines. If you change the Sales City in ITA, the tax goes away. If you purchase a ticket outside of the Philippines and owe the tax, I believe you still pay at the airport.

Originally Posted by Fyd
1. Fuel surcharges are not allowed for any flight originating in the Philippines, regardless of connections.
2. Your screenshot only shows a "carrier surcharge" not a fuel surcharge. The government only regulates fuel surcharges... Also, some carriers will list fuel surcharges, even if they are illegal for departures from the PHL. You can try to claim it back ( I wouldn't bother) or report MU to the authorities ...
It doesn't seem to be a very useful regulation if they allow carriers to list "YQ Surcharges" that appear to be indistinguishable from "Fuel Surcharges," which are similarly excluded from base fares but show up as YQ in fare computations. Perhaps the regulation has been repealed? I note that Philippine Airlines recently instituted a fuel surcharge for flights ex-Japan: https://www.philippineairlines.com/e...ance-surcharge I can't imagine they'd do this without approval of the Civil Aeronautics Board.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 1:55 am
AHO

Originally Posted by Fyd
2. Welcome to Asia, anybody flying from/to the Philippines will/should recognize the abbreviation PHL in the context of this thread... context is everything, not sure how anybody would mistake my response for Philadelphia...
I would rather use "PH" than "PHL", if I have to use an abbreviation for Philippines.
In the end, I am not as lazy as you so I type "Philippines" from the beginning so that I can save time to type a long sentence of text to explain what PH or PHL means to the others.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 3:02 pm

Programs: AF Platinum, UA Platinum Million Miler Lifetime Gold, QR Platinum, HH Lifetime Diamond, IHG Diamond
I had my Feb flights moved from CRK to MNL this week ( which was better for me anyway ) , seems China-Eastern abandoning CRK, if you have a booking, I would check.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 4:58 pm

Programs: AC SEMM DL DM
Originally Posted by RabbitohRob
I had my Feb flights moved from CRK to MNL this week ( which was better for me anyway ) , seems China-Eastern abandoning CRK, if you have a booking, I would check.
Interesting. I'm still showing CRK for a late January departure from CRK, and late February return to CRK. Wouldn't mind at all if they moved me to MNL. Just hope they do so soon, before I have to think about how I'm going to get myself to the Philippines for the "outbound."
Old Dec 14, 2017, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HometoYYZ
Interesting. I'm still showing CRK for a late January departure from CRK, and late February return to CRK. Wouldn't mind at all if they moved me to MNL. Just hope they do so soon, before I have to think about how I'm going to get myself to the Philippines for the "outbound."
Schedule reduction has been loaded. CRK flights cut to Mo/Fr/Sa/Su only then end on 2/26/18 which is right after Chinese New Year holidays. What day of the week are your flights?
Old Dec 14, 2017, 5:44 pm

Programs: AC SEMM DL DM
Schedule reduction has been loaded. CRK flights cut to Mo/Fr/Sa/Su only then end on 2/26/18 which is right after Chinese New Year holidays. What day of the week are your flights?
CRK-PVG is Thursday 1/25. PVG-CRK is Monday 2/26. Still showing as booked on Expedia and using MU's "verify ticket" function.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HometoYYZ
CRK-PVG is Thursday 1/25. PVG-CRK is Monday 2/26. Still showing as booked on Expedia and using MU's "verify ticket" function.
You got lucky, or unlucky depending on how you see it. Thursday flight is cut starting 2/1/18. Mo/Fr/Sa/Su flights operate until 2/26/18. Your flights are all fine. You actually get to fly the last PVG-CRK farewell flight.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 11:10 pm
Fyd

Originally Posted by jsloan
It doesn't seem to be a very useful regulation if they allow carriers to list "YQ Surcharges" that appear to be indistinguishable from "Fuel Surcharges," which are similarly excluded from base fares but show up as YQ in fare computations. Perhaps the regulation has been repealed? I note that Philippine Airlines recently instituted a fuel surcharge for flights ex-Japan: https://www.philippineairlines.com/e...ance-surcharge I can't imagine they'd do this without approval of the Civil Aeronautics Board.
The regulation only applies to flights originating in the Philippines, regardless of carrier, so PAL can institute them from flights originating abroad, like any other airline.
I do think the regulation is useful and still in place and most airlines comply - but enforcement is a whole different question here. The detailed screen when booking with MU shows "Fuel & Security Surcharge", but no separation of the two. I actually tried to raise the issue with the CAB, but no luck...
Considering how low the MU fares are, it's still a great deal regardless of the surcharge...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.