FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Premium Fare Deals (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premium-fare-deals-740/)
-   -   Pakistan International Airways : KUL - LHE $493 RT (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premium-fare-deals/1869315-pakistan-international-airways-kul-lhe-493-rt.html)

MightyTravels Sep 28, 2017 11:08 am

Pakistan International Airways : KUL - LHE $493 RT

- connects via Karachi, likely free stopover

- how is the 777 on PIA?

- books into G, earns on their own program Awards +PLus

https://www.kayak.com/flights/KUL-LH...02-15/business

jacksonx2000 Sep 28, 2017 11:13 am

LHE, not LHR

MightyTravels Sep 28, 2017 11:15 am

Originally Posted by jacksonx2000 (Post 28869734)
LHE, not LHR

Oops, fixed.

nomiiiii Sep 28, 2017 11:46 am

This is the typical pricing to/from KUL on pakistan air. OneMile blog has a review you can check. Angle flat, good option if you actually need to fly this route, not otherwise

xavzz Sep 28, 2017 12:32 pm

A lot of my family travel back home from UK to Pakistan and basically the airline is a shambles including the product in J. However non stop is usually the reason why people fly and the "decent price". Id rather go EK and stop off in DXB.

Romanianflyer Sep 28, 2017 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by nomiiiii (Post 28869885)
This is the typical pricing to/from KUL on pakistan air. OneMile blog has a review you can check. Angle flat, good option if you actually need to fly this route, not otherwise

Add to that a good option if you don't mind arriving one, two or perhaps even three days late. The airline is probably the worst-run in the world with losses that make the likes Air Berlin look like a giant success story.

From what was many decades ago one of the best-run Asian airlines, it has become what is essentially one of the worst in on-board experience, cancelled flights and frequent delays.

That said, Pakistan in general and Lahore specifically are fantastic destinations for those wishing to visit a country off the beaten path and who can see through news headlines on terrorism and whatever the dotard occupying the White House shouts about countries he can't even point out at a map.

Fantastic sights to be seen, good food (if you like subcontinental cuisine) and genuinely friendly people who are all delighted to encounter a tourist and to help them out.

HMPS Sep 28, 2017 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by Romanianflyer (Post 28870254)
Add to that a good option if you don't mind arriving one, two or perhaps even three days late. The airline is probably the worst-run in the world with losses that make the likes Air Berlin look like a giant success story.

From what was many decades ago one of the best-run Asian airlines, it has become what is essentially one of the worst in on-board experience, cancelled flights and frequent delays.

That said, Pakistan in general and Lahore specifically are fantastic destinations for those wishing to visit a country off the beaten path and who can see through news headlines on terrorism and whatever the dotard occupying the White House shouts about countries he can't even point out at a map.

Fantastic sights to be seen, good food (if you like subcontinental cuisine) and genuinely friendly people who are all delighted to encounter a tourist and to help them out.

Well said.
Do read up on "incidents" on FT and the landing page story.
I would not dare fly PIA. :(

writermatt Sep 28, 2017 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by Romanianflyer (Post 28870254)

Hear hear! Been living in Pakistan for six years and love it, despite the challenges. PIA is a bit of a mess, though...

HMPS Sep 29, 2017 9:22 am

Originally Posted by writermatt (Post 28871782)
Hear hear! Been living in Pakistan for six years and love it, despite the challenges. PIA is a bit of a mess, though...

What do you call [B]is a bit of a mess, though...[B]?

Romanianflyer Sep 29, 2017 10:27 am

But let's try to get it back on topic to PIA; even though I like the destination, I doubt it's an airline that is of any interest to the great majority of Flyertalkers outside of the few wanting to try it out for the sheer curiousity of it.

At least I can't really picture it in any of your (excellent and highly enjoyable ^ ) trip reports with Ms. SFO777 sitting in a dilapidated KHI airport terminal hearing the outbound flight is delayed for 30 hours in true PIA style :D

SFO777 Sep 29, 2017 11:15 am

Originally Posted by Romanianflyer (Post 28873943)
At least I can't really picture it in any of your (excellent and highly enjoyable ^ ) trip reports with Ms. SFO777 sitting in a dilapidated KHI airport terminal hearing the outbound flight is delayed for 30 hours in true PIA style :D

OMG. I'd be paying for that for years to come. :eek:
Thanks Romanianflyer.

TheBOSman Sep 29, 2017 11:41 am

Originally Posted by SFO777 (Post 28874146)
OMG. I'd be paying for that for years to come. :eek:

Both the lawyers AND the divorce settlement! :eek: ;) :D

MightyTravels Sep 29, 2017 12:39 pm

Bloomberg feels Pakistan may actually start a tourism industry.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...arts-to-thrive

HMPS Sep 29, 2017 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by MightyTravels (Post 28874547)
Bloomberg feels Pakistan may actually start a tourism industry.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...arts-to-thrive

I wonder how many of its citizens can & will travel domestic locations. As to attracting Westerners, the terrorist groups ( many) would absolutely love it.:(

writermatt Sep 29, 2017 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by HMPS (Post 28875944)
I wonder how many of its citizens can & will travel domestic locations. As to attracting Westerners, the terrorist groups ( many) would absolutely love it.:(

This summer and last summer the northern areas of Pakistan were absolutely rammed with domestic tourists - thousands and thousands of them heading to Gilgit, Hunza, Kaghan, Chitral etc etc. Same over Eid. Only major mishap was the absolutely epic traffic jams. The new Chinese-built roads are making it much easier to reach the north and many are taking advantage.

Foreign tourists not so much, of course, but those of us that do enjoy the privilege of wandering around stunning mountain valleys and having them to ourselves...