Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

$1380 - Ethiopian Business- ARN-CPT Round Trip

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2017, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: loyalty?! BA Gold, DL Platinum

Hello All,

Very well versed on the DUB, VIE, etc versions of this fare, but at least to me this is lower than before, sitting at $1380 (~£1050).

One stop in both ways (via ADD) available, as are other more creative routings.

Seasonality: Seems wide open from Sept 15- June 2018. Didn't investigate blackouts.

Aircraft: Direct routes on 787, other routes on 777, 350 possible.

Sorry if this isn't new, but seemed low to me. FWIW, I've heard fantastic reports of service and soft touches from many Fters. Enjoy.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 1:15 am

Programs: M&M Senator, BAEC GGL, Delta Platinum
The fare is good. However milage credit due to Class P fare only to Sheba Miles and Air China.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 2:10 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premi...pt-1064-a.html
Old Aug 18, 2017, 2:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
This forum should have a sticky at the top warning about ET P fares as much as they come up in the Premium Deals forum. I'd feel bad if someone new came along and saw a fabulous deal on an ET business class fare to requalify for their preferred Star Alliance status program, only to learn later that ET is one of the only carriers on earth with a revenue (paid) business class fare category that earns no miles in all but 1 partner program.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
+1 for not promoting ET P fares.

Fly ET using miles. (787s are decent, ADD and its J lounge are rather unpleasant) Pay $$$ with other carriers...
gallopingsheep9 likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 5:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif
+1 for not promoting ET P fares.

Fly ET using miles. (787s are decent, ADD and its J lounge are rather unpleasant) Pay $$$ with other carriers...
I think this is very insular and completely wrong. The whole point of this forum is fare deals. I for one am OW Emerald and do not care about *A status. Sure, I'd take it, but it's a very small portion of my thought process for buying a ticket.

Price drives my ticket purchases - yes, If I see an amazing Qatar fare - you bet I'll be going for that over Ethiopian, but if it's a matter of me seeing potential to go somewhere or not go somewhere, the needs of status runs are irrelevant and I'm willing to believe many in this forum might tend to agree.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 5:42 am
dsf

Programs: Nowt of note.
Regardless of what each individual is looking for in a fare, the rules of the forum are very clear in the sticky and obviously promote the sharing of cheap deals whether they earn or not. My emphasis:

Originally Posted by Premium fare deals rules
There are no strict rules on what constitutes a “deal” other than something that represents a good or excellent value. We will rely on the fact that many of our users know a deal when they see one. A deal could be a significant discount over normal prices on a particular route, or it could offer very good earning potential for RDMs or PQMs/EQMs.
godsavethepoints and Calchas like this.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 6:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
I'd feel bad if someone new came along and saw a fabulous deal on an ET business class fare to requalify for their preferred Star Alliance status program
Anyone (who has status) and wants to requalify is quite stupid not checking the earning tables before booking.

only to learn later that ET is one of the only carriers on earth with a revenue (paid) business class fare category that earns no miles in all but 1 partner program.
Doesn't SU play the same game in Skyteam?
godsavethepoints and Calchas like this.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by godsavethepoints
I think this is very insular and completely wrong. The whole point of this forum is fare deals. I for one am OW Emerald and do not care about *A status. Sure, I'd take it, but it's a very small portion of my thought process for buying a ticket.

Price drives my ticket purchases - yes, If I see an amazing Qatar fare - you bet I'll be going for that over Ethiopian, but if it's a matter of me seeing potential to go somewhere or not go somewhere, the needs of status runs are irrelevant and I'm willing to believe many in this forum might tend to agree.
Well it is actually set up as - FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals - so not earning miles definitely means it's not a mileage run.

I take your point, and both of us are very much of out the mainstream in terms of travel. And I suspect we both could travel hack a lower all-in cost using miles than by paying that fare (and positioning up to Stockholm).

And FWIW I also hate it when people add onto a *A Premium Fare thread that "Qatar is better and has a lower fare" when many people are specifically interested in a given alliance.

But surely in a not-a-mistake-fare situation people are also concerned about:
  • Redeemable miles
  • Elite Status

And to just say "caveat emptor" or "price is all that matters" is doing a dis-service when the logical assumption would be that a Business Class fare should be great on both measures.
dvs7310 likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by warakorn

Doesn't SU play the same game in Skyteam?
can you give an example? I am not aware of any but perhaps i am missing smth.

On the other hand LH P fares can be tricky earning 0 in many programs so this is not limited to ET... i hope ppl will continue to post them here though
Old Aug 18, 2017, 9:37 am
AHO

Primary thread for this deal is here.
Just USD has been devalued against SEK.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premi...l-p-class.html
Old Aug 18, 2017, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AHO
Primary thread for this deal is here.
Just USD has been devalued against SEK.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premi...l-p-class.html
this is almost a year old? We aren't allowed to make new threads for new pricing?
Calchas likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 11:03 am
AHO

Originally Posted by godsavethepoints
this is almost a year old? We aren't allowed to make new threads for new pricing?
The point is, that Ethiopian Airlines has had this kind of fare (both to Capetown and to Johannesburg) all year round.
Last fare terminated in the end of last year and this fare was published in 2017-JAN-01.

Code:
SALES RESTRICTIONS

UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED
  TICKETS MUST BE ISSUED ON/AFTER 01JAN 17.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Well it is actually set up as - FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals - so not earning miles definitely means it's not a mileage run.
But it does earn miles. Just not in every programme. Are we restricted to posting deals that only earn points in certain programmes?

Fair enough, post a warning that it doesn't earn points in CM's programme (or whichever it was). But I'd rather people posted too many deals than not enough.
godsavethepoints, AHO and Roger like this.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Calchas
But it does earn miles. Just not in every programme. Are we restricted to posting deals that only earn points in certain programmes?
I bow down in humble apologies to any Sheba Miles collector who visits Flyertalk for mileage run ideas...

It is a fair point though, since otherwise people would only post US$ and talk about United miles.
Calchas and TPJ like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.