Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

Ba/aa/ib was-ath ~$2150 j

Old Jul 20, 17, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, HH Diamond, Fairmont RIP, Hertz Plat, BA Gold

I was looking for a last minute trip to a beach and a way to burn a GUF2 (BA upgrade certificates) on a mileage/TP run and came across this nice IAD-ATH fare. Hardly any advanced notice needed. We booked just 2 weeks out. On Google Flights it shows you can book just a few days out and still get the fare. We are taking BA the whole way via LHR because we wanted to upgrade to FIRST with our certificates. For a longer mileage/tier point run, you can string together some connections in the US or EU.

We are landing in Athens and taking a cheap flight to one of the Islands for a few days to relax on a beach. In fact, there are some options to fly directly to the islands from LGW/LCY/MAD but it made for some tricky connections and we wouldn't be able to use our GUF2.
Old Jul 20, 17, 9:52 am

Programs: AA PLT, ex-UA 1K, Sixt Plat.
Wow, great find, OP! I, too, have been thinking about a Greek island vacation next month. :-D
Old Jul 20, 17, 9:54 am

Oh, also: looks like *A has matched the sale fares. There's ample availability on UA and LH as well. Curiously, IAD and ATH appear to be the only airports where the sale fares are available.
Old Jul 20, 17, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kirker View Post
Oh, also: looks like *A has matched the sale fares. There's ample availability on UA and LH as well. Curiously, IAD and ATH appear to be the only airports where the sale fares are available.
Washington rarely gets good fare sales, so I was happy to find this one. You can also fly from BWI/DCA...DCA means a connection in PHL, JFK, etc while BWI has a non-stop BA option to LHR. Good to see *A has matched, but in my Google searches I'm normally just seeking out OW.

Probably worth a positioning flight from AUS-WAS to take advantage of this fare.
Old Jul 20, 17, 10:24 am
LGJ

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, United Silver, Hilton Diamond, and Starwood Gold
Available from ORD for $2469: ORD-LHR-ATH.
Old Jul 20, 17, 10:26 am
Suspended

Would never fly BA to ATH from the USA. Horrible 3 hours LHR-ATH in a cramped seat.
Old Jul 20, 17, 10:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by BOSTravels View Post
Would never fly BA to ATH from the USA. Horrible 3 hours LHR-ATH in a cramped seat.
Welcome to intra-Europe business. Unless you're flying to ATH directly from the US, this product is what to expect from almost any EU airline to ATH.
Old Jul 20, 17, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BOSTravels View Post
BA flies a 767 daily on the route which helps a little. While the pitch still stinks, if you can get the 2 in the middle you will have the extra space from the empty middle seat and direct aisle access.

But generally I agree that BA Club Europe leaves a lot to be desired..of course like the other poster said, this is the norm in intra Europe travel.
Old Jul 20, 17, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by FFMilesJunkie View Post
Washington rarely gets good fare sales, so I was happy to find this one. You can also fly from BWI/DCA...DCA means a connection in PHL, JFK, etc while BWI has a non-stop BA option to LHR. Good to see *A has matched, but in my Google searches I'm normally just seeking out OW.

Probably worth a positioning flight from AUS-WAS to take advantage of this fare.
True, but I'll be out on the West Coast the week before heading overseas, and I'd already looked into positioning fares b/t JFK and IAD. (Edit: Positioning fares from the West Coast into all airports roughly located between JFK & IAD.)

Last edited by kirker; Jul 20, 17 at 10:55 am Reason: stated above
Old Jul 20, 17, 10:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by hartwith View Post
Welcome to intra-Europe business. Unless you're flying to ATH directly from the US, this product is what to expect from almost any EU airline to ATH.

Originally Posted by FFMilesJunkie View Post
BA flies a 767 daily on the route which helps a little. While the pitch still stinks, if you can get the 2 in the middle you will have the extra space from the empty middle seat and direct aisle access.

But generally I agree that BA Club Europe leaves a lot to be desired..of course like the other poster said, this is the norm in intra Europe travel.
That's why I redeemed Skymiles to fly DL to ATH next year in J.
Old Jul 20, 17, 11:32 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, DL GM, AA Plat, NEXUS
Works to Corfu and Mykonos as well, I believe this sale is valid for WAS-Greece.
Old Jul 20, 17, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by redadeco View Post
Works to Corfu and Mykonos as well, I believe this sale is valid for WAS-Greece.
I got the same results but some of the connections were difficult for the days I wanted, but if you were flexible you could avoid the connection in Athens and fly straight to the islands from your EU connecting hub.
Old Jul 20, 17, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat 2MM
Looks like the AARP discount with BA is still working so that could save another $400 off the ticket. A quick google search found this:

The British Airways and AARP discount, which has proven to be incredibly lucrative for premium cabin travelers, is back at its original level, which means you can score up to $400 off a business or first-class ticket. However, you have to move fast you must book by June 29, 2017, for outbound travel between August 1, 2017, and January 8, 2018.
Old Jul 20, 17, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by rmc1 View Post
Looks like the AARP discount with BA is still working so that could save another $400 off the ticket. A quick google search found this:

The British Airways and AARP discount, which has proven to be incredibly lucrative for premium cabin travelers, is back at its original level, which means you can score up to $400 off a business or first-class ticket. However, you have to move fast you must book by June 29, 2017, for outbound travel between August 1, 2017, and January 8, 2018.
Unfortunately the discount is down to $200 again, but that's still a decent savings amount.
Old Jul 20, 17, 3:27 pm

I see lots of availability - found LH for $1700 thanksgiving week; BA/AA around $2000.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: