FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Premium Fare Deals (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premium-fare-deals-740/)
-   -   Ba/aa/ib was-ath ~$2150 j (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premium-fare-deals/1855192-ba-aa-ib-ath-2150-j.html)

FFMilesJunkie Jul 20, 17 9:06 am

Ba/aa/ib was-ath ~$2150 j

I was looking for a last minute trip to a beach and a way to burn a GUF2 (BA upgrade certificates) on a mileage/TP run and came across this nice IAD-ATH fare. Hardly any advanced notice needed. We booked just 2 weeks out. On Google Flights it shows you can book just a few days out and still get the fare. We are taking BA the whole way via LHR because we wanted to upgrade to FIRST with our certificates. For a longer mileage/tier point run, you can string together some connections in the US or EU.

We are landing in Athens and taking a cheap flight to one of the Islands for a few days to relax on a beach. In fact, there are some options to fly directly to the islands from LGW/LCY/MAD but it made for some tricky connections and we wouldn't be able to use our GUF2.

kirker Jul 20, 17 9:52 am

Wow, great find, OP! I, too, have been thinking about a Greek island vacation next month. :-D

kirker Jul 20, 17 9:54 am

Oh, also: looks like *A has matched the sale fares. There's ample availability on UA and LH as well. Curiously, IAD and ATH appear to be the only airports where the sale fares are available.

FFMilesJunkie Jul 20, 17 10:18 am

Originally Posted by kirker (Post 28583859)
Oh, also: looks like *A has matched the sale fares. There's ample availability on UA and LH as well. Curiously, IAD and ATH appear to be the only airports where the sale fares are available.

Washington rarely gets good fare sales, so I was happy to find this one. You can also fly from BWI/DCA...DCA means a connection in PHL, JFK, etc while BWI has a non-stop BA option to LHR. Good to see *A has matched, but in my Google searches I'm normally just seeking out OW.

Probably worth a positioning flight from AUS-WAS to take advantage of this fare.

LGJ Jul 20, 17 10:24 am

Available from ORD for $2469: ORD-LHR-ATH.

BOSTravels Jul 20, 17 10:26 am

Would never fly BA to ATH from the USA. Horrible 3 hours LHR-ATH in a cramped seat.

hartwith Jul 20, 17 10:40 am

Originally Posted by BOSTravels (Post 28583999)
Would never fly BA to ATH from the USA. Horrible 3 hours LHR-ATH in a cramped seat.

Welcome to intra-Europe business. Unless you're flying to ATH directly from the US, this product is what to expect from almost any EU airline to ATH.

FFMilesJunkie Jul 20, 17 10:47 am

Originally Posted by BOSTravels (Post 28583999)

BA flies a 767 daily on the route which helps a little. While the pitch still stinks, if you can get the 2 in the middle you will have the extra space from the empty middle seat and direct aisle access.

But generally I agree that BA Club Europe leaves a lot to be desired..of course like the other poster said, this is the norm in intra Europe travel.

kirker Jul 20, 17 10:54 am

Originally Posted by FFMilesJunkie (Post 28583951)
Washington rarely gets good fare sales, so I was happy to find this one. You can also fly from BWI/DCA...DCA means a connection in PHL, JFK, etc while BWI has a non-stop BA option to LHR. Good to see *A has matched, but in my Google searches I'm normally just seeking out OW.

Probably worth a positioning flight from AUS-WAS to take advantage of this fare.

True, but I'll be out on the West Coast the week before heading overseas, and I'd already looked into positioning fares b/t JFK and IAD. (Edit: Positioning fares from the West Coast into all airports roughly located between JFK & IAD.)

BOSTravels Jul 20, 17 10:57 am

Originally Posted by hartwith (Post 28584058)
Welcome to intra-Europe business. Unless you're flying to ATH directly from the US, this product is what to expect from almost any EU airline to ATH.

Originally Posted by FFMilesJunkie (Post 28584089)
BA flies a 767 daily on the route which helps a little. While the pitch still stinks, if you can get the 2 in the middle you will have the extra space from the empty middle seat and direct aisle access.

But generally I agree that BA Club Europe leaves a lot to be desired..of course like the other poster said, this is the norm in intra Europe travel.

That's why I redeemed Skymiles to fly DL to ATH next year in J. :)

redadeco Jul 20, 17 11:32 am

Works to Corfu and Mykonos as well, I believe this sale is valid for WAS-Greece.

FFMilesJunkie Jul 20, 17 11:36 am

Originally Posted by redadeco (Post 28584278)
Works to Corfu and Mykonos as well, I believe this sale is valid for WAS-Greece.

I got the same results but some of the connections were difficult for the days I wanted, but if you were flexible you could avoid the connection in Athens and fly straight to the islands from your EU connecting hub.

rmc1 Jul 20, 17 2:34 pm

Looks like the AARP discount with BA is still working so that could save another $400 off the ticket. A quick google search found this:

The British Airways and AARP discount, which has proven to be incredibly lucrative for premium cabin travelers, is back at its original level, which means you can score up to $400 off a business or first-class ticket. However, you have to move fast you must book by June 29, 2017, for outbound travel between August 1, 2017, and January 8, 2018.

dkc192 Jul 20, 17 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by rmc1 (Post 28584967)
Looks like the AARP discount with BA is still working so that could save another $400 off the ticket. A quick google search found this:

The British Airways and AARP discount, which has proven to be incredibly lucrative for premium cabin travelers, is back at its original level, which means you can score up to $400 off a business or first-class ticket. However, you have to move fast you must book by June 29, 2017, for outbound travel between August 1, 2017, and January 8, 2018.

Unfortunately the discount is down to $200 again, but that's still a decent savings amount.

philreynolds16 Jul 20, 17 3:27 pm

I see lots of availability - found LH for $1700 thanksgiving week; BA/AA around $2000.