Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

AA: HKG-SLC r/t ~$2300 - I - purch by 30-JUN

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2017, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, AS G75K

FOOTNOTE RULE
TICKETS MUST BE ISSUED ON/BEFORE 30JUN17.

Looks like decent availability through Q1 2018

sample: https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...c=b;a=ONEWORLD

TICKET IS NON-REFUNDABLE.

For an AA EXP routed through DFW: ( AA 125/126 ):

(EQMs) (EQDs) Total AMs w/ Bonus
36,396 2,182 24,002
Old Jun 14, 2017, 10:53 am

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
If you book it through a third party so it is classified as a special fare, it will cost a little more, but provide 3640 EQD (20% of flown miles per chart, assuming booked in I).

Last edited by roundtree; Jun 14, 2017 at 11:00 am Reason: Corrected EQD calculation
Old Jun 14, 2017, 10:56 am

Portland and Seattle also available at ~#2300.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 5:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Now .... if it wasn't $5900 for the reverse direction -- US to HKG
Old Jun 14, 2017, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Now .... if it wasn't $5900 for the reverse direction -- US to HKG
~$2k from YVR.

$300 to fly business from SEA-YVR
Old Jun 14, 2017, 7:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Global321
~$2k from YVR.

Can you provide some dates? The lowest I'm seeing on Google Flights is USD 2400ish for YVR-HKG, and it's on JL, not AA.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by dkc192
Can you provide some dates? The lowest I'm seeing on Google Flights is USD 2400ish for YVR-HKG, and it's on JL, not AA.
Was not limiting it to OW. So that may be the difference.

OCT 17 - NOV 13 were the dates I was using but lots of dates.

$1926 Sichuan
$2045 Philippine
$2163 China Eastern (ST)
$2164 Air China (*A)
$3397 Cathay Pacific (OW)
Old Jun 15, 2017, 10:57 am

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
Originally Posted by roundtree
If you book it through a third party so it is classified as a special fare, it will cost a little more, but provide 3640 EQD (20% of flown miles per chart, assuming booked in I).
I don't know what third party can make it a special fare...
Old Jun 15, 2017, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by DeltaFlyingProf
I don't know what third party can make it a special fare...
There are many:

From AA Special Fares:
  • Bulk fares
  • Cruise fares
  • Consolidator fares
  • Discounted or inclusive tour packages
  • Vacation packages, including select American Airlines Vacations® packages. For Vacations, special fares are marked with an asterisk (*) after the booking code in the AAVacations.com booking path.
  • Other tickets where the fare isn't disclosed, excluding bookings made through priceline.com or hotwire.com where the carrier isn't disclosed before buying
Using TYP/UR/MRs have occasionally triggered special fares as well.

More here.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 12:04 am

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
Originally Posted by aaronprime
There are many:

Using TYP/UR/MRs have occasionally triggered special fares as well.

More here.
This is good in theory. But it won't work in practice unless Amex (just as an example, not advocating them) has a bulk discount on the fare or you are lucky.

When planning for renewal of status, I'd rather have certainty. Do you know one place where one would be guaranteed it would be considered a special fare? For the Amex as an example again, the "insider fare" deals will guarantee it. Do you have any example of guaranteed mileage based earnings omn THIS fare? AA vacation for example?
Old Jun 17, 2017, 6:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
This is good in theory. But it won't work in practice unless Amex (just as an example, not advocating them) has a bulk discount on the fare or you are lucky.

When planning for renewal of status, I'd rather have certainty. Do you know one place where one would be guaranteed it would be considered a special fare? For the Amex as an example again, the "insider fare" deals will guarantee it. Do you have any example of guaranteed mileage based earnings omn THIS fare? AA vacation for example?
A while ago there was a blog article about Amex insider fare deals that no one could ever find. Do you have any info on it?

Thanks
Old Jun 17, 2017, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
A while ago there was a blog article about Amex insider fare deals that no one could ever find. Do you have any info on it?

Thanks
If you are talking about insider fares that you have to call in, I don't. I called in once and they had nothing interesting.

However, there are insider fares shown online for domestic tickets. I've used insider fares on domestic AA tickets where, if you use points only, they give you between about 5% and 35% off. In my experience, those have always posted based on distance. When the business Platinum card was refunding 50% of the points used, they were worth it. Now that they refund only 35%, only the better discount insider fares are worth it in my opinion because you can't use partial points and partial cash and only the bigger discount will give you more than two cents per point.

Last edited by DeltaFlyingProf; Jun 17, 2017 at 8:58 pm
Old Jun 19, 2017, 5:08 am

Programs: AA-CK, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Global321
~$2k from YVR.

I used Google FLights to look in Q1 and Q2, nothing close other than 2788 on CX in late March and April AA fares out at over 4300.

Not sure if there is a minimum stay on the fare as I only looked at 2 night stays.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by MikeFly
I used Google FLights to look in Q1 and Q2, nothing close other than 2788 on CX in late March and April AA fares out at over 4300.

Not sure if there is a minimum stay on the fare as I only looked at 2 night stays.
Minimum stay appears to be 3-4 nights, depending on the airline.

$3347 on CX is widely available throughout the schedule.
$1931 on Sichaun is widely available throughout the schedule.
(Other airlines similar throughout the schedule with similar minium stay.)
Old Jun 19, 2017, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC

I don't know there's any place that always and only sells bulk fares. But it's easy enough to determine whether a fare is bulk before you buy it. Just check the airline fare rules and look for the word "wholesale" ...if it's in there, it's a consolidator ticket and will earn according to the special fares table.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.