FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Premium Fare Deals (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premium-fare-deals-740/)
-   -   Ethiopian: DUB-LAX in Biz, 1382 euros / $1543 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premium-fare-deals/1844722-ethiopian-dub-lax-biz-1382-euros-1543-a.html)

mhaines94108 May 26, 2017 10:47 am

Ethiopian: DUB-LAX in Biz, 1382 euros / $1543

1 Attachment(s)
Found this on Google Flights and then verified it on Ethiopian's site. Sample dates: June 14-18. It prices lower on Ethiopian's site than on Google Flights. It seems they have DUB departures Sun/Tue/Wed/Fri and returns from LAX on the same days.

SQ421 May 26, 2017 9:45 pm

Given the drama's some faced with a previous sale fare out of BKK, I'd be shying away from any "sounds too good to be true" ET fare.

My 2c.

dvs7310 May 27, 2017 12:45 am

that's not out of the ordinary for ET biz fares from time to time. I didn't look it up but will assume it's a P fare as well which *A frequent flyers don't like for obvious reasons. People looking for a cheap trip in C will buy them but no mileage runners are snapping them up.

HeidiInTheAlps May 27, 2017 12:52 am

Originally Posted by dvs7310 (Post 28365196)
that's not out of the ordinary for ET biz fares from time to time. I didn't look it up but will assume it's a P fare as well which *A frequent flyers don't like for obvious reasons. People looking for a cheap trip in C will buy them but no mileage runners are snapping them up.

I did look this up, and I appreciate someone verifying this, but it seems all the business fares get 100% miles, and 100% PQM's...

Wondering is something changed, because I also have looked it up before and P fare didn't get any credit.

duvin May 27, 2017 1:36 am

Originally Posted by HeidiInTheAlps (Post 28365207)
I did look this up, and I appreciate someone verifying this, but it seems all the business fares get 100% miles, and 100% PQM's...

Wondering is something changed, because I also have looked it up before and P fare didn't get any credit.

ET P gets 100% on CA's PhoenixMiles (besides ET's own ffp). Not on others afaik.

dvs7310 May 27, 2017 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by HeidiInTheAlps (Post 28365207)

Still does not earn on Mileage Plus as of their Feb 2017 update. I have tried to contact Ethiopian about this before but they never answer. It seems silly to have a revenue business fare not earn miles outside their own program (aside from Phoenix Miles which is a super odd one) when all of their economy fares earn miles in most programs.

hkgg May 28, 2017 3:22 am

haha after the bangkok fare, i dont think i will ever be purchasing any fare with ethiopian which straddles the border between "real" and "error". there's nothing stopping them from selling your seat to another passenger with a higher yield and then telling you when you get to check in that your fare was wrong and that your ticket is a no fly..

eireman May 28, 2017 3:02 pm

This is not an error fare, these prices are pretty common. fly them ex dub to LAX in March at Euro 1300.00 and found flight and seat really good. Service was a bit lacking and food could be improved

irishguy28 May 28, 2017 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by dvs7310 (Post 28369023)
Still does not earn on Mileage Plus as of their Feb 2017 update. I have tried to contact Ethiopian about this before but they never answer. It seems silly to have a revenue business fare not earn miles outside their own program (aside from Phoenix Miles which is a super odd one) when all of their economy fares earn miles in most programs.

This is common in Star Alliance - look at Lufthansa P class, for example.

Contacting ET about the earning rates of other programmes is a total waste of time. ET doesn't dictate to the Star Alliance partners how each of their fare classes should earn in each of those other programmes. The airline that runs each programme determines how their own programme operates - not ET.

dvs7310 May 28, 2017 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by irishguy28 (Post 28371629)
This is common in Star Alliance - look at Lufthansa P class, for example.

Contacting ET about the earning rates of other programmes is a total waste of time. ET doesn't dictate to the Star Alliance partners how each of their fare classes should earn in each of those other programmes. The airline that runs each programme determines how their own programme operates - not ET.

That's directly opposite of what both MileagePlus and OnePass have told me. They both claimed that the operating airline dictates which fares earn miles. I'm assuming there must be some price involved which then determines what rate the miles are earned in the mileage program of your choice, hence ET going from everything at 100% to the recent downgrade of most economy fares to 25-50% in MileagePlus.

Agree each program does determine how they operate, but they don't determine which fares another carrier will pay for.

vincewy Jun 1, 2017 7:18 am

Originally Posted by SQ421 (Post 28364802)
Given the drama's some faced with a previous sale fare out of BKK, I'd be shying away from any "sounds too good to be true" ET fare.

My 2c.

This

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28174203-post333.html

The response from ET is classic, "Your fare is too cheap". Perhaps they're too cheap to honor it.

soy Jun 1, 2017 8:20 am

Originally Posted by vincewy (Post 28387411)
This

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28174203-post333.html

The response from ET is classic, "Your fare is too cheap". Perhaps they're too cheap to honor it.

Completely irrelevant. As has been stated numerous times upthread, this is a standard fare that comes and goes on this route.
It is in no way comparable to the recent ET error fares (which clearly were errors, despite what some might say)

There is no risk in booking this fare.

irishguy28 Jun 1, 2017 8:54 am

Originally Posted by soy (Post 28387655)
Completely irrelevant. As has been stated numerous times upthread, this is a standard fare that comes and goes on this route.
It is in no way comparable to the recent ET error fares (which clearly were errors, despite what some might say)

There is no risk in booking this fare.

Exactly. Fares at this level are available regularly to many points in the US, and come and go on all 3 alliances - though, unlike with ET, they usually requiring a transfer en-route.

I'm off in a couple of weeks on a Skyteam fare to SFO that is a couple of hundred Euro cheaper than the rate discussed in this thread :D