Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

DL: YVR-NRT r/t in J for US$1,590

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2017, 12:40 am
Original Poster

Flash Sale!
https://goo.gl/flights/07o0

Works from other cities too:
YYZ-HND for $1,893 - https://goo.gl/flights/W5ZS
YYC-NRT for $1,672 - https://goo.gl/flights/vLjN
Old May 25, 2017, 2:43 am

Programs: DL GM
Looks like you can book YYZ-NRT via DTW aboard the 747 for $1893. Might need to book now ask questions later.

EDIT: Booked YYZ-NRT via DTW with the 747 each direction in June. Now just need to make the time for it.

Last edited by RumPatrol; May 25, 2017 at 3:14 am
Old May 25, 2017, 4:09 am

Programs: Delta Platinum
Just booked YYZ-DTW-NRT and HND-MSP-YYZ for Labor Day weekend. Another ride on the upper deck for the way there, and the convenience of HND on the way back

Thanks OP!!
Old May 25, 2017, 5:39 am

Programs: Free Agent
Great find. Looks to be good through end of Sept.
Old May 25, 2017, 6:33 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by bkrs
Just booked YYZ-DTW-NRT and HND-MSP-YYZ for Labor Day weekend. Another ride on the upper deck for the way there, and the convenience of HND on the way back

Thanks OP!!
Did you book these as two separate PNRs? Would love to get on the UD.
Old May 25, 2017, 6:54 am

Programs: Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by dcadwell
All one one PNR, searched through delta.com
GF bumped the price up to 6k when I tried to arrive NRT and depart HND
Old May 25, 2017, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by bkrs
All one one PNR, searched through delta.com
GF bumped the price up to 6k when I tried to arrive NRT and depart HND
Hrm. For some reason I can't find that option at all on delta.com
Old May 25, 2017, 6:58 am

You have to do some digging but there are plenty of dates for 747 upper deck going each direction. Most of the return dates I was finding were through some combo of PDX/SEA/MSP/ATL but I did find some 747 through DTW. Just do YYZ-NRT on Google Flights and set the connection city to Detroit and airline to Delta and you should get quite a few options.

I had actually booked two, June 14-27 and then another in August. I don't think I'm going to be able to make the time for a short notice June one so I will probably cancel within 24 hours and fly the August one. I've never flown upper deck on the 747 so I'm really looking forward to it.

Positioning and customs/immigration will be a bit of a nightmare as I'm US based but well worth it at this price. Even with positioning flights it is far cheaper than any ex-US DL 747 routing, or any business routing period for that matter outside of the odd China Eastern or Xiamen fare.
Old May 25, 2017, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by RumPatrol
You have to do some digging but there are plenty of dates for 747 upper deck going each direction. Most of the return dates I was finding were through some combo of PDX/SEA/MSP/ATL but I did find some 747 through DTW. Just do YYZ-NRT on Google Flights and set the connection city to Detroit and airline to Delta and you should get quite a few options.

I had actually booked two, June 14-27 and then another in August. I don't think I'm going to be able to make the time for a short notice June one so I will probably cancel within 24 hours and fly the August one. I've never flown upper deck on the 747 so I'm really looking forward to it.

Positioning and customs/immigration will be a bit of a nightmare as I'm US based but well worth it at this price. Even with positioning flights it is far cheaper than any ex-US DL 747 routing, or any business routing period for that matter outside of the odd China Eastern or Xiamen fare.
Tried that, but it's returning in the neighborhood of $16,000+. Strange.

Canadian customs is really that difficult? I never really had a problem in YHZ, but, that's a super-small airport, of course.
Old May 25, 2017, 8:22 am

Programs: Skymiles Platinum / Alaska MVP Gold 75K
thanks op. i'm having trouble getting that price. i'm looking for june travel and Google Flights says it's $1800 but when i click the final step it rockets up to 4 grand. im going to try later dates.
Old May 25, 2017, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by imaginaryhomeland
thanks op. i'm having trouble getting that price. i'm looking for june travel and Google Flights says it's $1800 but when i click the final step it rockets up to 4 grand. im going to try later dates.
for whatever reason, Google Flights is jacking up the price at their final step despite previewing the $1800 price.

but Delta.com still has the $1800 fare. going to book now.
Old May 25, 2017, 9:28 am

Snagged some flights at the end of July for just under $1600. No 747, but do get to come back from HND which is nice.
Old May 25, 2017, 9:42 am

the blogs have started posting this. one of them looks like they just plagizared OP's post calling it a flash sale.
Old May 25, 2017, 10:15 am

Tried that, but it's returning in the neighborhood of $16,000+. Strange.

Canadian customs is really that difficult? I never really had a problem in YHZ, but, that's a super-small airport, of course.
If you get some dates to show up on Google Flights that you like, try to just plug them straight in to Delta and then sort by DTW-only for connections. The first few times through I had the same issue before it would finally take. The return flight gave me a ton of problems on a lot of my preferred dates but I finally mixed and matched enough to get a few different itineraries I liked.

I've never done a positioning from the US to Canada for a flight that then transits back through the US so I'm not sure how customs and immigration will be. I don't believe you can stay air side so I assume I'll need to clear Canadian customs upon the arrival of my positioning flight, then pre-clear US customs in Toronto for the transit to Detroit which should mean no additional customs in DTW for the flight on to NRT. I'll probably just position the morning before anyway since that is a 0615 flight.

My June itinerary has a 70 minute connection in DTW on the way back though which seems awfully tight even though MCT is 60 for connections to Canada. If I cancel that one and just fly in August, it is a 6 hour layover so not really a big deal, would just need to do the reverse of before with one extra customs stop in there since I'm sure I'd need to do US customs on arrival to DTW, Canadian customs on arrival to YYZ and then pre-clear again for the return part of my positioning flight. I think it just sounds a bit more daunting than it actually is. I do have Global Entry so that should speed things up a bit.
Old May 25, 2017, 11:26 am

i also see that this is available from other Canadian airports... YUL, YXU, YHZ, YQB for under or about $2,000 as well

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.