Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

TAP : CPH/OSL to BOS/MIA/JFK $1169 (updated 28 Jun 2017)

TAP : CPH/OSL to BOS/MIA/JFK $1169 (updated 28 Jun 2017)

Old Apr 7, 2017, 12:50 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, BA Gold, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Adam1222
Since this has been around for 2 days now, not every date/city combination is available. Flights in certain fare classes sell out. Sub-$500 fares remain OSL-NYC or BOS for most of September through February.

CPH appears to be mostly sold out at the lowest rates now, though you can do OSL-CPH-LIS-NYC
I have been following it since the beginning and never saw MIA this low. Other destinations yes. But the post suggest MIA.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 1:11 pm
kbl

Programs: SK *G, HH S
nice video of retrofitted TAP 330

https://www.facebook.com/staralliance/videos/1392664924128216/
Old Apr 7, 2017, 1:45 pm
formerly southsidesilver

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, HH Diamond
If we are lucky enough to get it.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 1:48 pm

So there are the two former-Azul aircraft and just ONE refurbed A330 with the new biz class?
Old Apr 7, 2017, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Thanks OP. Couldn't resist and bought a one way OSL- BOS last night
Old Apr 8, 2017, 12:53 am

Programs: M&M Senator, BAEC GGL, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by Potreroflyr
So there are the two former-Azul aircraft and just ONE refurbed A330 with the new biz class?

Yup. 6 other ac are still due to be retrofitted at Lufthansa Technik in Hamburg.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 2:18 pm

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
The best I have found for February is around 700 ex-Oslo which is a fantastic deal, but would mean one night in Oslo and one night in Lisbon, difficult to justify it...
Old Apr 8, 2017, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by more4less
The best I have found for February is around 700€ ex-Oslo which is a fantastic deal, but would mean one night in Oslo and one night in Lisbon, difficult to justify it...
And in Oslo the airport is an hour away from the city (crazy, I don't know what's wrong with these people), so you better stay at the airport.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 3:07 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by nk15
And in Oslo the airport is an hour away from the city (crazy, I don't know what's wrong with these people), so you better stay at the airport.
of course the time of your flight matters. For many people, the OSL-LIS flight is at 6pm, which allows plenty of time to connect from somewhere else that day, or to stay in the city.

It's 22 miles outside the city, not particularly far in the realm of world cities, and has an express train that takes 20 minutes.

not sure which "people" you are calling crazy..
Old Apr 8, 2017, 3:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: *A
of course the time of your flight matters. For many people, the OSL-LIS flight is at 6pm, which allows plenty of time to connect from somewhere else that day, or to stay in the city.

It's 22 miles outside the city, not particularly far in the realm of world cities, and has an express train that takes 20 minutes.

I love Oslo and Lisbon, so this was a no-brainer for me
Old Apr 8, 2017, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is 47-50km/30 miles away from the city, 45 min by car. By my calculations it is the third most distant primary airport for a capital city, after NRT and KUL. It is very weird that they built it so far, given how lightly populated the country is, but as they say Norwegians like their space, but this is excessive, imo.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 4:34 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
It is 47-50km/30 miles away from the city, 45 min by car. By my calculations it is the third most distant primary airport for a capital city, after NRT and KUL. It is very weird that they built it so far, given how lightly populated the country is, but as they say Norwegians like their space, but this is excessive, imo.
HND is Tokyo's primary airport, not NRT. Kuala Lumpur also has some operations at SZB, the former main airport before they built KUL.

OSL used to have an airport much closer to the city centre, but it was closed, like many airports that outgrow the local populations.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am trying to book my outbound to OSL from the US, one option gives me 1 hour and 50 min in OSL to connect from a BA flight to the TAP flight (on separate tickets obviously), what do you all think, is it too risky? I will only have a carry on. This option allows me to avoid the overnight in OSL and have a day flight from the US via LHR (with an overnight there).

The other option is redeye to LHR, 7 hours layover, and overnight in OSL. Safer but more grueling (night flight and long layover). I can also probably find a cheaper hotel in LHR than OSL (where I like the airport Park Inn but usually cant get it for less than $120)
Old Apr 8, 2017, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by keitherson
HND is Tokyo's primary airport, not NRT. Kuala Lumpur also has some operations at SZB, the former main airport before they built KUL.

OSL used to have an airport much closer to the city centre, but it was closed, like many airports that outgrow the local populations.
HND and NRT are sort of both co-primary airports, I believe, one primary domestic, one primary international. It's like DCA/IAD or the NYC system.

Last edited by nk15; Apr 8, 2017 at 5:10 pm
Old Apr 8, 2017, 5:09 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
I'm not sure what calculations you use, or the usefulness of measuring capital cities. (Ottawa? Bern?) But since you were talking about time, youve now gone from 1 hour to 45 minutes, and cabined it to "by car." Even though it has one of the fastest most reliable public transport links to the center city, youre using your own metric. But even if we accept 45 minutes as your reference, other cities where the airport is farther from the city, or comparable to, timewise:

London Heathrow (32 km, 45-60 min by public transport)
Paris GDG (25 km, 1 hr by public transport)
New York JFK (26 km, 1.5 hrs by public transport)
Rome FCO (34 km, 1 hr by public transport)
San Francisco SFO (23 km, 50 min by public transport)

perhaps the most relevant comparison?

Stockholm ARN (41 km, 20 min)

(And these were random ones I thought of off the top of my head. And it's not a relevant comparison, but I know from personal experience that WDH is 44 km from Windhoek, the capital of Namibia. TLV is the primary airport for Jerusalem and it's more than 50 km.)

The facts do not support your statement that OSL is unreasonably far from the city that someone has to stay near the airport. The distance by car is comparable to many world cities; the time by public transport is less than most cities with extremely regular service. This deal not for you? Great. Don't come here and give misinformation and tell people they're crazy.

Last edited by Adam1222; Apr 8, 2017 at 5:18 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.