OW "First": SFO-SAL $866

Old Mar 22, 2017, 9:55 pm
Original Poster

OW "First": SFO-SAL $866

"First" class on AA:
https://goo.gl/flights/37gB

8132 miles. If you book this in a way that hides the cost from AA (such as via Chase reserve points+cash) I think this gives you $2400 EQD.

I am basing this off of this article which used City thank you points, but I have to imagine this would be similar.

This is based upon what I understand -- if I am wrong, I would appreciate any corrections.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 11:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Etihad Gold; Air Berlin Gold; HHonors Silver
I tried doing a Chase UR points+cash AA ticket purchase (international trip) last month, and the flight didn't record as a special/bulk fare, so I earned RDM (ahem peanuts) and EQD based on the fare instead..sigh
Old Mar 23, 2017, 6:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
OP I'm getting "I" instead of "A"

Originally Posted by elsamp123
I tried doing a Chase UR points+cash AA ticket purchase (international trip) last month, and the flight didn't record as a special/bulk fare, so I earned RDM (ahem peanuts) and EQD based on the fare instead..sigh
All aa metal? or codeshare/mixed airlines were involved? may I ask you which route?

Last edited by fedechat; Mar 23, 2017 at 6:46 am
Old Mar 23, 2017, 7:28 am
Original Poster

If you don't trust Chase UR use AAVacations and book flight+car. Whats amazing to me is that I am seeing package prices of $763. As fedechat points out, it books into I, so it isn't as good a deal as hoped. However, still earns 20% EQD, so a nice bump over regular earnings.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 7:57 am

Too bad it's the recliner seats the whole way. But great EQD.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 8:09 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
Originally Posted by CAWineNerd
If you don't trust Chase UR use AAVacations and book flight+car. Whats amazing to me is that I am seeing package prices of $763. As fedechat points out, it books into I, so it isn't as good a deal as hoped. However, still earns 20% EQD, so a nice bump over regular earnings.
Booking through AAVacations earn EDQ's like a partner airline? Is car/hotel necessary to achieve this? How do I see the breakdown of % of miles flown by class?
Old Mar 23, 2017, 9:11 am

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
Originally Posted by driveswith
Booking through AAVacations earn EDQ's like a partner airline? Is car/hotel necessary to achieve this? How do I see the breakdown of % of miles flown by class?
From the horse's mouth:

Some fares (such as bulk or consolidator fares) earn award miles and Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs) at a modified rate based on a percentage of the distance flown as determined by the booking code.
[...]
Examples:
[...]
Vacation packages, including American Airlines Vacations® (AAV) packages
So in the case of I class, 100% mileage earning, no class or service bonus and 20% of mileage for EQD.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 9:21 am

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
On another level, what is the security situation in San Salvador? When I was in Costa Rica, I was told that San Salvador was one of the two central American countries still unsafe to travel to, the other being Honduras, IIRC. This is hear say for me at this point, so other opinions are welcome.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 9:30 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
Originally Posted by DeltaFlyingProf
Thank you. That's amazing! Based on this I'm definitely going to requalify for EXP this year. Have people tried it and seen it posted to their account as expected? There was a comment about car/hotel. Do you need to include one of those in the booking for it to be posted this way?
Old Mar 23, 2017, 10:10 am

On another level, what is the security situation in San Salvador? When I was in Costa Rica, I was told that San Salvador was one of the two central American countries still unsafe to travel to, the other being Honduras, IIRC. This is hear say for me at this point, so other opinions are welcome.
I would personally not go there for tourism. Many companies will have private security for their employees who need to go there on business trips. Gang activity and violent crimes are not uncommon. Some of the world's most dangerous gangs (M13 or whatever they are called) are very active.

https://travel.state.gov/content/pas...l-warning.html
Old Mar 23, 2017, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by driveswith
Thank you. That's amazing! Based on this I'm definitely going to requalify for EXP this year. Have people tried it and seen it posted to their account as expected? There was a comment about car/hotel. Do you need to include one of those in the booking for it to be posted this way?
You cannot book only flight via AAVacations. However, adding a car makes it a "vacation", and the price is lower than buying the ticket directly from aa.com
Old Mar 23, 2017, 8:57 pm

Programs: United 1k, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by CAWineNerd
How can you tweak the routing? Or do you just accept the options presented on the website?
Old Mar 24, 2017, 9:54 am

This seems like a pretty sweet deal, but I'm also having difficulty getting the SFO-ORD-MIA-SAL routing to show up on AAVacations. SFO-DFW shows up pretty readily under 2+ stops, but not seeing any other ways to filter.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 7:16 am

Programs: AA exp 3mm Hertz 5*
I was there two years ago. Was not able to find almost any advanced info, other than rooms avail on hotel sites.... but it was the last country for me to hit in N Amer, so we went. A couple weeks out, I spoke to a Dell Rep who was based there, also came across someone from AA who went there regularly. Both suggested staying in Zona Rosa.

The trip into from the city was nice. Driving down the blvd seen my first 4 lane Burger King drive thru. Came complete w 2 guys w Uzis walking up and down the drive through lanes.

We went downtown, against advise, to see the old govt buildings, and everyone was very nice, though seemed truly surprised to see someone obviously not a local. The people I met said they loved America, they just didn't think it was safe for us in their country... BTW, very little english spoken. very little.

On another note, flying from Panama to ES, I boarded the plane to find three consecutive aisle seat occupants holding tight to a 78" big screen TV sitting in the aisle. What a hoot, but it was Christmas.

(My apologies to mod for going off subject)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.