Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

AA Costa Rica :-LAX-LAS-PHX-PHL-CLT-MCO-MIA-LIR r/t in First ~800$(2017's PTY Fare :)

AA Costa Rica :-LAX-LAS-PHX-PHL-CLT-MCO-MIA-LIR r/t in First ~800$(2017's PTY Fare :)

Old Jan 22, 2017, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
Arrow AA Costa Rica :-LAX-LAS-PHX-PHL-CLT-MCO-MIA-LIR r/t in First ~800$(2017's PTY Fare :)

Hi All,

First of all I can't take the credit for this as AlphaXray and RossMacd from the BA forum worked discovered this one but thought I would share this in here for the AA folks exact same idea as the LAX - PTY run last year.

Here is an example, A little on the crazy side but on BA gets 840TP's

Can someone do the calculation for the AA program as I am unsure how to work it out.

Number of hops up to 16 is same price if you fancy a less crazy option, LIR airport in Costa Rica only has 2 flights per day from MIA so makes the itinerary a little more complicated than the PTY one as it had 3

Anyway have fun and hope this helps!
Attached Images  

Last edited by cgtechuk; Jan 22, 2017 at 12:38 pm
Old Jan 22, 2017, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA 1M, AA Platinum, HA Pualani Gold, KAL Morning Calm, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Wow, would like to hear if anyone is actually able to purchase and execute...
Old Jan 22, 2017, 12:43 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
This belongs over in the mileage run forum...and there I'll move it.

aztimm
Old Jan 22, 2017, 12:58 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, ex-AA EXP, ex-UA 1K
Originally Posted by aztimm
This belongs over in the mileage run forum...and there I'll move it.
I'm confused: it's a premium fare deal, and similar in many ways to the long-running threads on this forum for the LAX-PTY and LAX-UIO treks.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 1:04 pm

OP, that fare is definitely incredible, but talk about an exhausting itinerary! A redeye on the PHX-PHL leg (in standard F); then an day(time)-long layover in Charlotte a scant three hours later; and then an overnighter in Orlando! The return's only marginally better on that front, with overnighters at MIA and LAS.

This itinerary will certainly rack up a bunch of segments, but under AA's new EQD system, does that even help much?
Old Jan 22, 2017, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
Originally Posted by kirker
OP, that fare is definitely incredible, but talk about an exhausting itinerary! A redeye on the PHX-PHL leg (in standard F); then an day(time)-long layover in Charlotte a scant three hours later; and then an overnighter in Orlando! The return's only marginally better on that front, with overnighters at MIA and LAS.

This itinerary will certainly rack up a bunch of segments, but under AA's new EQD system, does that even help much?
Not sure how the new system works, If its flown miles you could reduce the hops, the reason there is so many is that BA's FFP is based on points so more segments = more points.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 2:30 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
There are three measurements used by AA for granting status:

Elite Qualifying Miles / EQM http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...es-2016-a.html (other than the new Basic Economy fares (they will earn 0.5 EQM per mile flown) , one EQM is earned per mile flown in Economy, 2.0 EQM per mile flown in discounted Business or First, and 3.0 EQM per mile flown in full non-discounted Business or First. (Fares shown above will earn 2 EQM per mile flown.)

OR

Elite Qualifying Segments / EQS are easier. Each flight with a discrete flight number accrues one EQS, with two exceptions:
Two (or more) flights with the same flight number, if they are not origin-destination-origin pairs, earn ONE EQS, and EQM as if the flights had been a nonstop flight.

New Basic Economy fares coming soon will earn 1/2 EQS per segment.
AND (required annual minima):
Elite Qualifying Dollars / EQD: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...es-2017-a.html

These GUIDE master threads will explain how these are accrued, and have extensive Wikiposts at the top of the thread.

For award miles accrual, see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ug-2016-a.html
Old Jan 22, 2017, 2:32 pm

Location: Loud, dark, warm, lots of ethernet cables, and in some rack space.
Programs: AA:EXP
Sounds like a run for me! Hold my champagne, going to see if it's bookable.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 2:32 pm

Yeah, I was referring specifically to AA, not BA. They now have minimum annual spend amounts for each elite level, topping out at $12,000 for EXP. Various FTers have figured out workarounds using all Oneworld airlines except AA, including the recent QR Festival fares much discussed in recent weeks here. Granted, you still need miles and/or segments on AA, too, but they're no good without the minimum spend.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by Kaneohe0850
Wow, would like to hear if anyone is actually able to purchase and execute...
It can definitely be done - as have many BA flyers on the LAX-PTY runs clocking up 16 sectors on one ticket. I've got one myself this year.

Thanks for the hat tip cgtechuk
Old Jan 22, 2017, 2:45 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by kirker

4 nights in hotels makes the math less appealing. Definitely not for AA requal hence the reason it started in the BA forum. Too bad domestic AA First is in I.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 2:49 pm

That is a great price. And an insane number of connections!
Old Jan 22, 2017, 3:36 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG
Brilliant, now lets hope this stays around for as long as the PTY fares did!
Old Jan 22, 2017, 4:23 pm

A much simpler itinerary with only one night in LIR will cost just $669, and yield about $13k EQM's. Through MIA, with 10-12 hours of travel each way, and you can snag a lie flat on the LAX-MIA portion:

https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...AX0AA6006;sc=b
Old Jan 22, 2017, 5:02 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA EXP, AS MVP75K GOLD, HHonors Diamond, BW Diamond, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by cgtechuk
Not sure how the new system works, If its flown miles you could reduce the hops, the reason there is so many is that BA's FFP is based on points so more segments = more points.

How would this look credited to AS's MileagePlan program. Coupled with the insane VX Mileage Runs (for as cheap as $128) this could be another addition to re-qualify on Alaska/Virgin.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.