Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

AM LAX-MEX-EZE in J $1994 RT

Old Mar 8, 17, 8:26 pm
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire, IC Amb

Crediting to DL nets 18,414 MQMs and $5,524 EQDs and a TON of RDMs if you already have DL status!!!

https://goo.gl/flights/gW0C
Old Mar 8, 17, 9:15 pm

Programs: United Premier
Is this gone? it's showing 29xx for me.
Old Mar 9, 17, 6:55 am

Programs: IB , BA , AA , AV
I can still see it . And also other dates
Old Mar 9, 17, 7:00 am

Programs: United 1K
I am not a DL/Skyteam guy, but does Delta do multipliers on fare for spend qualification? The first post seems to suggest that. ($1994 becomes $5524?)
Old Mar 9, 17, 7:13 am

Programs: FB platinum, M&S elite+, M&B gold
For partner airlines such as AM, EQDs are based on flown distance and a multiplier for fare class
Old Mar 9, 17, 9:16 am
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by hscottm View Post
I am not a DL/Skyteam guy, but does Delta do multipliers on fare for spend qualification? The first post seems to suggest that. ($1994 becomes $5524?)
Yes.

For this business class fare it is 30% of the miles flown.
Old Mar 9, 17, 9:16 am
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by 355F1 View Post
Yes.

For this business class fare it is 30% of the actual 12,xxx miles flown.
Old Mar 9, 17, 9:58 am

Programs: United 1K
duh, right, sorry - had a total brain dump for a minute. thanks. In my simpleton head I was thinking they were using the "1.5 segment" kind of multiplier and forgot about the crazy equations on partner spend.
Old Mar 10, 17, 11:21 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Gold, AS 75k, DL Diamond and 1MM
Good Deal

I flew this a few years ago. MEX airport is a mess because you have to clear immigration and customs even if just connecting. On the OP's example schedule, the five hour layover on the outbound is about right because you'll wait for customs to open up.

On the plus side, Argentina no longer requires the reciprocity tax, which one used to have to pay in advance. Since the first of the year, some hotels are no longer charging foreigners the 20% VAT on hotel stays (Sheraton is one).

For Delta flyers, the amount of MQD (qualifying dollars) and RDM's (redeemable miles) is more than if flown or ticketed on Delta. MQM's are the same. You get both a 50% class of service bonus and a variable status bonus of up to 120% (if Diamond) if one has a status level on Delta, and the base mileage is based on miles flown, not dollars spent.

Last edited by Bowgie; Mar 10, 17 at 11:35 am
Old Mar 10, 17, 11:53 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Gold, AS 75k, DL Diamond and 1MM
Now $2193

I'm just seeing $2,193 now, which is a D fare.
Old Mar 10, 17, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by Bowgie View Post
I flew this a few years ago. MEX airport is a mess because you have to clear immigration and customs even if just connecting. On the OP's example schedule, the five hour layover on the outbound is about right because you'll wait for customs to open up.

On the plus side, Argentina no longer requires the reciprocity tax, which one used to have to pay in advance. Since the first of the year, some hotels are no longer charging foreigners the 20% VAT on hotel stays (Sheraton is one).

For Delta flyers, the amount of MQD (qualifying dollars) and RDM's (redeemable miles) is more than if flown or ticketed on Delta. MQM's are the same. You get both a 50% class of service bonus and a variable status bonus of up to 120% (if Diamond) if one has a status level on Delta, and the base mileage is based on miles flown, not dollars spent.

I agree with the pain of travelling through MEX. On the plus side, we got Silver status on Delta with this roundtrip alone.
Old Mar 24, 17, 8:08 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
There are also some good fares for JFK-MEX-EZE. Just booked a roundtrip for $1893 in business for November. D fare class outbound, I fare class return. Should be about 44,000 RDMs on Delta as a DM and around 20,000 MQMs and 4,000 MQDs.

For my dates, it required a 22-hour stopover in MEX on the way there, which is just as well considering the challenges of connecting in MEX anyway. Prices in the $2200-2300 range are available with a shorter connection.

For some reason, the extra-long connection options seem to only be showing on Expedia family sites (Expedia, Orbitz, etc.), as well as their scrape to Kayak. ITA Matrix did not bring it up. So worth checking a few different places if you're interested. I did also see a few options in the high $1700s on different dates, though they seem to come and go.
Old Mar 24, 17, 10:34 am

Programs: Delta DM
got jfk-mex-eze second week of october for ~$1700

outbound fare basis is: LRLUPI
return is: QRLUPI

Could anyone help me figure out what fareclass these are? crediting to delta

Many thanks
Old Mar 24, 17, 11:29 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by Tiberius123 View Post
got jfk-mex-eze second week of october for ~$1700

outbound fare basis is: LRLUPI
return is: QRLUPI

Could anyone help me figure out what fareclass these are? crediting to delta

Many thanks
Usually the first letter of the fare basis is the fare class, but it looks like tin this case these may be "Y-up" type fares -- checking my fare details I see that the fare bases are TRLUPD and TRLUPI, while when I booked on Orbitz it was listed as D and I fare classes. By that analogy it would appear both of your fares are I fares.

I hope these earn miles with Delta based on the marketed D and I fare classes, or I will be quite annoyed. It seems possible they earn on the T fare class for me, and the L and Q fare classes for you, but are treated as upgraded to D/I for travel purposes.

Anyone have any experience with this?

ETA: I asked AM Twitter support (which seems to be very good) what the relevant earning classes were and they said D and I (they even provided me the link to Delta's AM earning chart). ExpertFlyer also lists those fare classes as "booking class" of D and I, while non-UP AM fare bases are the booking class of their first letter as would normally be expected. So, fingers crossed, hopefully the business class fare classes prevail for earning miles on those "UP" fares.

Last edited by bgriff; Mar 24, 17 at 11:53 am
Old Mar 24, 17, 12:26 pm

Programs: Delta DM
thanks for doing that!

I'll let you know after i fly in oct how they turn out

Search this Thread
Search Engine: