Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

CX: Ord/JFK/EWR-MLE $1770-1900; mixed PE and J

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CX: Ord/JFK/EWR-MLE $1770-1900; mixed PE and J

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2017, 11:29 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by melrowgo
Well, crap.

Figured that portion might be AA.

Thanks @pbd456
it will book into economy even if it is allowed.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by melrowgo
Well, crap.

Figured that portion might be AA.

Thanks @pbd456
No, this does not work with a mixed carrier booking. Must be CX metal only.

CX flies one of its JFK-HKG flights with a stop in YVR. JFK-YVR is thus a fifth freedom route for CX. ORD-YVR does not work.

Here are your options for this fare:

ORD/EWR/JFK/BOS-HKG-MLE
JFK-YVR-HKG-MLE

To actually get credit for the extra mileage of the JFK-YVR-HKG route, you need to transfer in YVR and take a different onward flight from YVR. If you take the same flight onward from YVR, you only get credit for JFK-HKG, which is quite a bit shorter than JFK-YVR-HKG.

While it's possible to get JFK-YVR to book into I, it's difficult to find (not impossible).

Regarding mixed class bookings. In order to get the short legs (HKG-MLE) to book into I, you need to find MLE flights that have no R fare availability. In those cases, it will book into I. This only works if the long flights (ORD/BOS/NYC-HKG) do have R fare availability. If you book this far in advance, it's unlikely you'll find flights that will book as mixed class. Better odds of getting it a bit closer in.
melrowgo likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by swingaling
If you book this far in advance, it's unlikely you'll find flights that will book as mixed class. Better odds of getting it a bit closer in.
I think the inventory dried up, not direct related to travel time. I booked mine 340 days out in Aug, availability every single day!
Old Dec 14, 2017, 8:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Fly2Where
I think the inventory dried up, not direct related to travel time. I booked mine 340 days out in Aug, availability every single day!
Nah, this fare is still going strong. CX just had a price increase. The price is now $2,007. Plenty of availability at this price starting next May.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 3:10 am

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
In order to get the short legs (HKG-MLE) to book into I, you need to find MLE flights that have no R fare availability. In those cases, it will book into I. This only works if the long flights (ORD/BOS/NYC-HKG) do have R fare availability. If you book this far in advance, it's unlikely you'll find flights that will book as mixed class. Better odds of getting it a bit closer in.
Nah, this fare is still going strong. CX just had a price increase. The price is now $2,007. Plenty of availability at this price starting next May.
I am referring to I fare portion. it's response to your statement I is "less available when book far in advance", and "need NO R inventory", which are both incorrect. More specifically, after I booked my flight in "I" for JFK-YVR & HKG-MLE, only 3 "I" seats left on JFK-YVR, when I chose 4 seats, only R fare is available.

Last edited by Fly2Where; Dec 16, 2017 at 3:18 am
Old Dec 16, 2017, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Regarding mixed class bookings. In order to get the short legs (HKG-MLE) to book into I, you need to find MLE flights that have no R fare availability. In those cases, it will book into I. This only works if the long flights (ORD/BOS/NYC-HKG) do have R fare availability. If you book this far in advance, it's unlikely you'll find flights that will book as mixed class. Better odds of getting it a bit closer in.
I'm trying to wrap my head around this statement. Can you explain in simpler language why these segments book into biz class, please? I was wondering if it was because there was no PE on those particular flights, but that is not the case. Thx
Old Dec 16, 2017, 12:48 pm

There is booking class exception for fare. This fare R allows booked into I in these segments. Just part of fare rule when looking at booking class exception on expertflyer.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 1:16 am

I was able to find this booking on GF or ITA for 2,397 CAD (E+I) though cannot book through on any of those OTAs, is there anyway too book that?
Old Dec 19, 2017, 1:51 am

Programs: AA EP (life Gold), Global Entry, TSA Pre-Check, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by longmanzz

I was able to find this booking on GF or ITA for 2,397 CAD (E+I) though cannot book through on any of those OTAs, is there anyway too book that?
did you try bookwothmatrix?
i am on the 2nd leg of the JFK-YVR-HKG-MLE-HKG-EWR trip now, all 3 6-hour legs in biz. I booked on Priceline via Hipmunk.
CX889 out of JFK in biz was ...let’s say....inferior. Disappointing. Even the food on AA MCO-JFK was better-by a lot.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 7:05 pm

Programs: United 1k, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
No, this does not work with a mixed carrier booking. Must be CX metal only.
I might be misinterpreting what you said but I don't think that's correct. I just came back from ORD-HKG-MLE-HKG-LAX-ORD, with the LAX-ORD trip on American.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 10:33 pm

Are u in F for ord lax?
Old Dec 20, 2017, 10:57 pm

The fare is around for so long. One can easily check the routing rule on expertflyer, or just search on itamatrix. There is really nothing to argue or discuss.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 3:07 am

Programs: AA EP (life Gold), Global Entry, TSA Pre-Check, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
In a weird twist, for me anyway, CX asked me to downgrade to PE for MLE-HKG while I was in HKG.
they offered us HKD1710 to do it. Of course nobody knew what it would do to my booking class for recording miles so I took a chance and accepted it. If I get the original credit, this will turn out to be a hell of a steal as I would have 2 trips for $3200-ish USD. I’ll calcute the EQD/EQM return when it posts.
BLazarus22 likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by Whodunit68
In a weird twist, for me anyway, CX asked me to downgrade to PE for MLE-HKG while I was in HKG.
they offered us HKD1710 to do it. Of course nobody knew what it would do to my booking class for recording miles so I took a chance and accepted it. If I get the original credit, this will turn out to be a hell of a steal as I would have 2 trips for $3200-ish USD. I’ll calcute the EQD/EQM return when it posts.
If AAdvantage recalculates it appears not to effect the EQMs and only 5% of the EQD's ($150) so for US$220 you did the right thing. Those Lie-Flat I seats are a lie anyway....LOL
Old Dec 21, 2017, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by CJPacker
If AAdvantage recalculates it appears not to effect the EQMs and only 5% of the EQD's ($150) so for US$220 you did the right thing. Those Lie-Flat I seats are a lie anyway....LOL
They are a lie.... Very disappointing but the PE ON the long route wasn't bad. Food still bad but fairly roomy.

Re: the calculations, you're spot on as long as the booking code change is I to R.
I'm *that* close for EQDs for EXP requal so it might matter. I may do a cheap run just to be sure... But only if I come back from the Maldives. It's pretty frickin nice here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.