Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

CX: Ord/JFK/EWR-MLE $1770-1900; mixed PE and J

CX: Ord/JFK/EWR-MLE $1770-1900; mixed PE and J

Old Sep 25, 2017, 4:55 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by Lavezzi
I see some in May 2018, this deal seems to always come around anyway.
May it is then! Thanks!
Old Sep 25, 2017, 6:14 pm

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by andersonCooper
May it is then! Thanks!
The last day on outbound is Aug 14 2018
Old Sep 28, 2017, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
I had some difficulty requesting my upgrade for YVR-HKG-YVR because Amex had used my first, middle and last name on my ticket but my Asia Miles account only has my first and last name on it. Calling Asia Miles was pointless since they left me on hold forever. Anyhow was finally able to request the upgrade online by nominating myself as a companion using my middle name.

What surprised me however was it was only 15K Asia miles each way, when I was expecting 20K. Thought I would share in case anyone else was considering that upgrade.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 7:42 pm

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by margarita girl

What surprised me however was it was only 15K Asia miles each way, when I was expecting 20K. Thought I would share in case anyone else was considering that upgrade.
one way 20K, round trip 30K. Good if you can upgrade both way.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 9:11 am

Programs: AA exp 3mm Hertz 5*
I had some difficulty requesting my upgrade for YVR-HKG-YVR because Amex had used my first, middle and last name on my ticket but my Asia Miles account only has my first and last name on it. Calling Asia Miles was pointless since they left me on hold forever. Anyhow was finally able to request the upgrade online by nominating myself as a companion using my middle name.

I had some of the same issues. I always use my middle initial. I booked w CX, and asked to be put on upgrade list. When the upgrades cleared, I transferred AMEX points to Asiamiles and upgrades were applied. Two weeks before the flt, CX pulls my upgrades. After hours with Asiamiles, they said they could only redeposit miles, charge me a $100pp fee, and re-issue. When I agreed, they then decided that this was not possible and they could not help fix "my mistake". 3 days later, CX called, said that they totally screwed up the record, and were making it all good. But my record now was sans my middle initial.

During my trip, I wanted to add in BKK. Using AA miles, I booked an award rt HKG-BKK, which was on the heels of my inbound MLE-HKG. That CX record had my middle initial. As I would be checking luggage straight on from MLE-HKG-BKK, I sweated it out. At check-in in MLE the agent laughed about CX's propensity to get the middle initial thing messed up. My flts went fine, and the baggage connected.

Unrelated, the HKG-MLE flight had mechanical issues resulting in a 6 hour delay, causing me to loose a $600 pre-paid night at a hotel. Have been unable to get CX to respond to my request for comp. Surprised to see my Saphire Reserve card excluded flt delay coverage for pre-paid hotel nights.

Last edited by Snuggs; Sep 29, 2017 at 9:17 am
Old Sep 30, 2017, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the info Snuggs. Sounds like a cluster ...

Other question: I am flying MLE-YVR-JFK. I presume I will clear US customs in YVR (I have Global Entry). Can someone confirm?

I booked a DL flight for JFK-YYZ and due to a schedule change,my connection time at JFK has just been reduced from 2h25m to 1h50m.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 9:55 pm

Thanks for the info Snuggs. Sounds like a cluster ...

Other question: I am flying MLE-YVR-JFK. I presume I will clear US customs in YVR (I have Global Entry). Can someone confirm?

I booked a DL flight for JFK-YYZ and due to a schedule change,my connection time at JFK has just been reduced from 2h25m to 1h50m.
You can deplane CX888 when you get to YVR but you don't clear customs and US pre-clearance. In fact, you will be corralled at the gate. It's not an option for you to venture out the terminal or even access the CX lounge. I took the flight YVR-JFK back in June and from what I recall we were almost an hour early even when the flight left a bit later than scheduled, so I think your connection at JFK should be fine.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 12:40 am

Programs: ex-multiyear AA EXP/OWE, now SA Gold/AC Super Elite
That's correct on the YVR - JFK flight on CX: you will not pre-clear due to the arrival time. The US preclearance area is closed for the night when that flight lands.

You will have to deplane, sit in a holding area at the gate, where you will have to go through another security check at the gate, and security must clear the plane again.

Then you'll reboard and then they'll let the people who get on at YVR board.

Then you clear at JFK first thing in the morning, which can take a while unless you can get off the plane super early and walk fassssst to customs.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ugh, I just reviewed my itinerary and I get into YVR at 11:40 and don't leave for JFK until 21:55. What if I said I want to go have lunch with a friend in Vancouver?
Old Oct 1, 2017, 2:04 am

Are you arriving on CX838 in YVR then flying CX888 onwards to JFK? If so, when you arrive in YVR you will be funneled through the Canadian customs as you exit the plane and clear security to go back to the terminal. CX888 departs from the International terminal so you clear customs at JFK which is great because you can access the CX lounge at YVR.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes I am. So great for lounge access at YVR, but not so much for my tight cx at JFK?
Old Oct 2, 2017, 11:37 am

Ugh, I just reviewed my itinerary and I get into YVR at 11:40 and don't leave for JFK until 21:55. What if I said I want to go have lunch with a friend in Vancouver?
Well that does change things, I assumed you were on the late flight that connects right through.

As said, you'll have to clear customs and recheck your bags and reclear security. You should able to go into Vancouver if you wanted to - will you have checked bags?

And the CX lounge at YVR is (imo) the best of all the YVR lounges. I love the noodle bar there.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RichVan
Well that does change things, I assumed you were on the late flight that connects right through.

As said, you'll have to clear customs and recheck your bags and reclear security. You should able to go into Vancouver if you wanted to - will you have checked bags?

And the CX lounge at YVR is (imo) the best of all the YVR lounges. I love the noodle bar there.
From start to finish, trip is 7 days (but only 3 nights in MLE) so carry on only. Plus if I want to transfer from CX to DL at JFK with only 1h50m connection, I can't afford to check a bag!
Old Oct 3, 2017, 9:55 am

From start to finish, trip is 7 days (but only 3 nights in MLE) so carry on only. Plus if I want to transfer from CX to DL at JFK with only 1h50m connection, I can't afford to check a bag!
Then you're golden! Have a good time!
Old Oct 4, 2017, 11:26 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
On the dates I'm looking at through Google Flights, it says to call Cathay to book. Then the other options (Orbitz and Expedia) doesn't actually show the fare. Does that mean the fare is gone?

Never mind - just saw https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28815815-post77.html

Last edited by TravelLawyer; Oct 4, 2017 at 1:21 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.