Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

ORD-JNB OW ~$1060 PE/Y mixed itinerary

Old Mar 5, 2017, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-SIL MR-TIT HYT-GBL IHG-PLT HH-DIA WYN-PLT AMEX-PLT

ORD-MAD-JNB return on BA ticket stock/codeshare flight number on IB metal. ~$1060 all in round trip after AARP discount. ORD-MAD books in W and MAD-JNB books in Y (T and K fare codes both ways). Good for ~2500 EQD on AAdvantage. Booked on BA website for Nov/DEC travel.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 7:06 pm

This is an incredible deal, but I can't get anywhere close to it. Could you provide more details about the itinerary? $5K seems to be the lowest I'm finding.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 7:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Eqd

How do you figure the EQD for advantage?
Old Mar 5, 2017, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

I'm booked 11/23-12/2.

Only available with BA numbers from the BA website (IB isn't selling PE on that route for then as far as I can tell -- I cross checked there and on matrix and nothing similar was coming up.)

Multiple dates were available but I didn't explore deeply to see if there were min stay requirements or anything.

for EQD for AAdvantage:
20% distance for the PE/W segments
10% distance for the Y segments
(based on the BA fare codes)

Last edited by schertz; Mar 5, 2017 at 7:59 pm Reason: Incomplete
Old Mar 6, 2017, 4:00 am

Programs: DL GM
I've been tempted to book the ~$1400 MIA (and a few others)-LHR-JNB PE fare on VS for a while now. Johannesburg really doesn't do much for me but for $1400 there is always the option of adding a JNB-CPT/WDH leg at the end and still being well under typical cost.

Not sure if this OW fare has a similar option but I believe the VS PE fare allows for a fairly lengthy stopover in London as well for a few hundred more, although it has been a while since I put specific dates in to check.

If someone was feeling really crazy, pairing one of these ex-US PE fares to JNB and the JNB-PVG/HKG J fare on Etihad/Qatar that was posted a day or two ago would make for quite the adventure. All told probably somewhere around $3000 combined.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 7:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by schertz
I'm booked 11/23-12/2.

Only available with BA numbers from the BA website (IB isn't selling PE on that route for then as far as I can tell -- I cross checked there and on matrix and nothing similar was coming up.)

Multiple dates were available but I didn't explore deeply to see if there were min stay requirements or anything.

for EQD for AAdvantage:
Tried those dates, and nothing even close! Got lucky.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 7:55 am

This is really odd... checking those dates on ba.com shows premium economy on Iberia at $1197 round trip. Aer Lingus & BA flights in PE for $1721 R/T. Google flights shows the lowest fare at $2033.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 8:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Gold
Originally Posted by CAWineNerd
This is really odd... checking those dates on ba.com shows premium economy on Iberia at $1197 round trip. Aer Lingus & BA flights in PE for $1721 R/T. Google flights shows the lowest fare at $2033.
I'm getting the same results, $1067 r/t with AARP. FYI, the Iberia flight MAD-JNB legs are showing up as economy though. Maybe JNB isn't getting reconfigured A330s?
Old Mar 6, 2017, 11:42 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by CAWineNerd

I just booked some LAX-LHR-JNB MRs on BA for November and ran into this same problem with the IB flights coming in $200 cheaper because they are in Y, but the rest of my itinerary is in PE.

I don't think IB even has PE....and I am trying to do all of my MRs now on BA metal in PE for the 1.5 EQMs crediting to AA.

Still got a great deal for $1491 each (I booked 2).
Old Mar 6, 2017, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by 355F1
I just booked some LAX-LHR-JNB MRs on BA for November and ran into this same problem with the IB flights coming in $200 cheaper because they are in Y, but the rest of my itinerary is in PE.

I don't think IB even has PE....and I am trying to do all of my MRs now on BA metal in PE for the 1.5 EQMs crediting to AA.

Still got a great deal for $1491 each (I booked 2).
I believe they will be implementing a new PE service in the 4th quarter.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat 2MM), Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat75, UA1K
IB website says PE is coming the Summer of 2017.

Not sure I would be brave enough to do South Africa in straight up economy on IB. I think it is worth the extra $200 to know you will be in PE for all the long legs.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

JNB is due to get PE on IB eventually, but apparently they won't have it by Nov on that route while ORD will.

Yeah I concerned about the Economy segment on IB but the day layover in MAD was something I wanted and they did allow free seat assignments on the Economy legs as a OWE -- so I've got the front row exit row!
Old Mar 6, 2017, 6:49 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by ORDPLATAA
I think it is worth the extra $200 to know you will be in PE for all the long legs.
Absolutely.

Just think.....if they offered you an UG to PE for $200 @ the gate for an 11hr flight would you take it?
Old Mar 6, 2017, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

Also be careful on BA.com -- many of the other 'PE' options listed include Economy segments on Aer Lingus that wouldn't earn any AAdvantage miles and don't get you transatlantic PE travel (most book the LHR-JNB segment in BA PE it seems).
Old Mar 25, 2017, 1:09 am

Programs: United 1k, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by schertz
I'm booked 11/23-12/2.

for EQD for AAdvantage:
Isn't it 22% and 20% respectively?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.