Et lax-jnb $2,369 rt

Old Feb 15, 17, 12:21 pm
Used to be highman123
Original Poster

Et lax-jnb $2,369 rt

- really low price for the long route of almost 24,000 miles

- can be done on all new equipment 787/ 359

- sadly books into P which earns 100% on Shebamiles and Air China only, but Shebamiles can be used on ASKY redemptions which has otherwise crazy high intra-Africa ticket prices

- comes up on cheapoair.com and others.

Last edited by MightyTravels; Feb 15, 17 at 9:58 pm
Old Feb 15, 17, 8:30 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles
Originally Posted by MightyTravels View Post

- sadly books into P which earns 100% on Shebamiles and Air China only, but Shebamiles can be used on ASKY which has otherwise razy high intra-Africa ticket prices

Prices out at $2386 directly on the Ethiopian Airlines website, e.g. Nov. 1-13. Google Flights thinks of the P booking code as economy, but on the Ethiopian Airlines website, it shows up as "Cloud 9 Restricted."
Old Feb 16, 17, 11:02 am
Used to be highman123
Original Poster

Not that we are all eager but it also works in reverse from JNB.
Old Feb 16, 17, 11:34 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Connecting at ADD might require a yellow fever vaccination certificate to enter South Africa.

I was planning a trip when ET had a super cheap Y fare from YYZ to JNB a few years ago. I saw the list of countries requiring a yellow fever vaccination and Ethiopia was included. I called the South African Embassy in Washington and was told that even transiting in ADD triggers the Yellow Fever vaccine requirement.

I know it sounds silly for a 2 or 3 hours transit at an airport. In the end something came up and I never took the trip. So I do not know for certain if it will be a requirement or not.

Update:

I found this link so it looks like South Africa has changed their policy a bit so if your transit is less than 12 hours, it should be OK.

http://www.santhnet.co.za/index.php/...uirements.html
Old Feb 16, 17, 11:38 am
Used to be highman123
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cheltzel View Post
Connecting at ADD might require a yellow fever vaccination certificate to enter South Africa.

I was planning a trip when ET had a super cheap Y fare from YYZ to JNB a few years ago. I saw the list of countries requiring a yellow fever vaccination and Ethiopia was included. I called the South African Embassy in Washington and was told that even transiting in ADD triggers the Yellow Fever vaccine requirement.

I know it sounds silly for a 2 or 3 hours transit at an airport. In the end something came up and I never took the trip. So I do not know for certain if it will be a requirement or not.
Yes it's generally a requirement. Good catch.

However it is selectively enforced and some airports have a doctor that can give you a short on arrival.

Ethiopian Airlines does not care and won't check.

However a Yellow Fever shot is a great investment when you go to Africa and is under $100 in the US and under $20 in South East Asia. Worth it.
Old Feb 16, 17, 11:46 am

Yes it's generally a requirement. Good catch.

However it is selectively enforced and some airports have a doctor that can give you a short on arrival.

Ethiopian Airlines does not care and won't check.

However a Yellow Fever shot is a great investment when you go to Africa and is under $100 in the US and under $20 in South East Asia. Worth it.
I updated my post as it seems that South Africa has loosened their requirements for travelers with short transits (<12 hours) in airports.
Old Feb 18, 17, 12:03 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, Omni Black, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
A yellow fever vaccine is very much worth it, especially since they are good for, at least, 10 years.
Old Feb 18, 17, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by N1120A View Post
A yellow fever vaccine is very much worth it, especially since they are good for, at least, 10 years.
It is required for travel to the following countries:

Angola
Benin
Burkina Faso
Burundi
Cameroon
Central African Republic
Congo, Republic of the
Côte d’Ivoire
Equatorial Guinea
Gabon
Gambia, The
Ghana
Guinea
Guinea-Bissau
Liberia
Nigeria
Paraguay
Senegal
Sierra Leone
South Sudan
Suriname
Togo
Uganda

It is also required for travel to parts of the following countries:

Argentina
Bolivia
Brazil
Colombia
Ecuador
Panama
Peru
Trinidad and Tobago
Venezuela
Chad
Democratic Republic of the Congo
Ethiopia
Kenya
Mali
Mauritania
Niger
Sudan

(source)

I assume it is the more tropical portions of the countries in the second list. I have traveled extensively to Argentina, Brazil, Colombia and Peru and was never required to get a yellow fever inoculation as my travels were confined to the major cities.

I am not saying it is not worth it, just that its value is relative depending on where you normally go.
Old Feb 19, 17, 7:23 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, Omni Black, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Whether it is required for travel TO a country is only part of the equation. Some countries - South Africa and Australia are particularly tough on this - require it if you have been to countries that have yellow fever in them, even if it is confined to certain regions. So, for example, if you do a trip to Tanzania and South Africa, you MUST get your yellow card in order to go to South Africa second. Similarly, if you go to Kenya before Tanzania, you MUST have your yellow card.
Old Feb 19, 17, 7:52 am

Programs: UA Plat Marriott Gold Hyatt Diamond
Whether it is required for travel TO a country is only part of the equation. Some countries - South Africa and Australia are particularly tough on this - require it if you have been to countries that have yellow fever in them, even if it is confined to certain regions. So, for example, if you do a trip to Tanzania and South Africa, you MUST get your yellow card in order to go to South Africa second. Similarly, if you go to Kenya before Tanzania, you MUST have your yellow card.

So I'm going to Tanzania in may.. and than South Africa in August I need a vaccine?
Old Feb 19, 17, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by Jalen500 View Post
So I'm going to Tanzania in may.. and than South Africa in August I need a vaccine?
I would check with one of the travel health organizations to make sure.

Last edited by cheltzel; Feb 19, 17 at 8:46 am
Old Feb 22, 17, 12:35 am

Principal downside being the 1 in 500,000 chance of dying and 1 in 125,000 chance of severe neurological side effects.

Those aren't high odds, obviously, but no reason to risk it unless you actually need the vaccine. I think in theory vaccines are supposed to be good for a lifetime now, but can't determine quickly what countries are actually doing as a matter of policy.
Old Feb 22, 17, 12:45 am

- sadly books into P which earns 100% on Shebamiles and Air China only, but Shebamiles can be used on ASKY redemptions which has otherwise crazy high intra-Africa ticket prices

The 17 hour 40 minute layover at ADD on the return is an absolute dealbreaker for me - no matter how low the price.
Old Feb 22, 17, 9:52 am
Used to be highman123
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dogcanyon View Post
The 17 hour 40 minute layover at ADD on the return is an absolute dealbreaker for me - no matter how low the price.
ET STPC should allow for free transfer hotel (usually the Hilton) incl. visa. Addis is a cool town.
Old Feb 22, 17, 10:48 am

Programs: UA, AA
Originally Posted by cheltzel View Post

Update:

I found this link so it looks like South Africa has changed their policy a bit so if your transit is less than 12 hours, it should be OK.

http://www.santhnet.co.za/index.php/...uirements.html
i have flown to JNB via ADD a couple of times over the past few years -- never had an issue with the vaccinations.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: