Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

Dl/kl : Lax-nbo $2,156 rt

Dl/kl : Lax-nbo $2,156 rt

Old Feb 15, 17, 11:13 am
  #1  
Used to be highman123
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,680
Dl/kl : Lax-nbo $2,156 rt



- lowest price I have ever seen in J for East Africa

- book'z' into Z

- almost 20k miles flown

Came up earlier on delta.com now only on OTA's like https://www.fareboom.com/.

Just verified still comes up on delta.com.

Last edited by MightyTravels; Feb 15, 17 at 12:00 pm
MightyTravels is offline  
Old Feb 15, 17, 12:05 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 10
Was hoping to combine this with the Air France amex offer, but I can't pull this up on airfrance.us for less than $3k
lastlad is offline  
Old Feb 15, 17, 1:22 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NYC
Programs: QF LTG
Posts: 858
Anyone finding anything from nearer the east coast?
PbodyPhoto is offline  
Old Feb 15, 17, 2:58 pm
  #4  
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: YYJ/YVR/SEA
Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Posts: 13,381
How are the Biz seats on KLM, especially 747 from NBO?

Wanted a Safari in east Africa for a long time.
EmailKid is offline  
Old Feb 15, 17, 4:58 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: AMS
Posts: 1,153
Originally Posted by EmailKid View Post
How are the Biz seats on KLM, especially 747 from NBO?
B/EA Diamond seats. I like them.

The IFE on the 747 is a bit older though, but it works, Arrested Development style. (No touching!)

http://wbc.klm.com.
CyBeR is offline  
Old Feb 15, 17, 8:43 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PSP & ZQN
Programs: UA 1K (2MM), AA Exec Plat, BA Gold, MH Enrich Platinum
Posts: 1,674
Not on Google Flights but shown on ITA. Rules allow stops in JNB/CPT but can't seem to get to work. I think because all the airline restrictions. Let me know if anyone can find stops. Adding JNB/CPT allows for multiple safari's and a lot more miles for similar pricing.
zebranz is offline  
Old Feb 15, 17, 9:28 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 14
Big thanks to OP. I had trouble getting multiple tickets out of LAX (at this price, no surprise they're disappearing fast), but was able to get the same price out of SNA, much wider availability (similar mix of Delta and KLM metal, all flat beds on the long flights, on 767, 747, 777). I purchased through delta.com, fwiw.
mannyJ is offline  
Old Feb 17, 17, 1:04 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San Diego
Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Gold, DL Diamond and 1MM
Posts: 3,421
Bought a pair

I bought a pair of tix at the good price leaving late Dec and returning right near the end of the schedule.

I noticed that Delta.com can price tix about two days beyond Google Flight's end-of-schedule. Conversely, Google Flights will price and then link directly to Delta.com for trips with KQ flights operating as an AF codeshare. In other words, it's possible for Google Flights to find a good option linking to Delta.com that Delta.com can't find directly!

Price varies from $2145 to $2163 depend on the connecting airports.
Works ex-LAX and ex-SNA, but not ex-SAN.
Bowgie is offline  
Old Feb 17, 17, 8:35 am
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: West Coast, Best Coast
Programs: Flying whoever is most convenient
Posts: 15,595
This is an outstanding fare! Very tempting to switch my December holiday plans from AKL to NBO!
PV_Premier is offline  
Old Feb 17, 17, 9:46 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: SEA once more (previously CDG and NRT)
Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a free agent
Posts: 2,233
Originally Posted by zebranz View Post
Not on Google Flights but shown on ITA. Rules allow stops in JNB/CPT but can't seem to get to work. I think because all the airline restrictions. Let me know if anyone can find stops. Adding JNB/CPT allows for multiple safari's and a lot more miles for similar pricing.
Likely this is causing your problem:

HIP/MILEAGE EXCEPTIONS NO HIP OR MILEAGE EXCEPTIONS APPLY.
SEA-Flyer is offline  
Old Feb 17, 17, 1:54 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PSP & ZQN
Programs: UA 1K (2MM), AA Exec Plat, BA Gold, MH Enrich Platinum
Posts: 1,674
No HIP restrictions/exceptions mentioned. Specifically allows stops (over 24 hours). I did price out adding JNB one way less than 24 hours and added $400 so still makes no sense. Back to drawing board...


Delta (DL) ZOR1US LAX to NBO
FREE STOPOVERS PERMITTED ON THE PRICING UNIT - 1 IN EACH DIRECTION IN JNB/CPT. AND - 2 STOPOVERS PERMITTED ON THE PRICING UNIT - 1 IN EACH DIRECTION IN PAR AT USD 100.00 EACH.
zebranz is offline  
Old Feb 18, 17, 6:40 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San Diego
Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Gold, DL Diamond and 1MM
Posts: 3,421
Thanks to OP!

I liked this fare so much, I booked another with just me traveling.
(Wife and I are together on the second trip at end of December to travel onward to JRO for safari.)
This is trip is early December:

LAX-AMS-NBO-AMS-SLC-SNA for $2156
It appears on Google Flights, and links through to Delta.com for convenient booking. Can also just be booked directly on Delta in this instance.

On the above trip, I plan to fly on to Mombasa and take the overnight train back to Nairobi with a few nights in both cities. Glad Nairobi has a Hilton.

Last edited by Bowgie; Feb 18, 17 at 6:48 pm
Bowgie is offline  
Old Feb 18, 17, 7:16 pm
  #13  
Used to be highman123
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,680
Originally Posted by Bowgie View Post
I liked this fare so much, I booked another with just me traveling.
(Wife and I are together on the second trip at end of December to travel onward to JRO for safari.)
This is trip is early December:

LAX-AMS-NBO-AMS-SLC-SNA for $2156
It appears on Google Flights, and links through to Delta.com for convenient booking. Can also just be booked directly on Delta in this instance.

On the above trip, I plan to fly on to Mombasa and take the overnight train back to Nairobi with a few nights in both cities. Glad Nairobi has a Hilton.
Wow - jealous! Nairobi also has a Radisson now - it's brand new.
MightyTravels is offline  
Old Mar 1, 17, 8:15 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: DTW
Programs: DL-DM / MM, Marriott-Plat, Hertz-#1 Gold
Posts: 122
Originally Posted by MightyTravels View Post
Wow - jealous! Nairobi also has a Radisson now - it's brand new.
I've been to the Radisson Bleu twice and it is a fantastic hotel, opened about a year ago.

As for the note above regarding staying in Mombasa, my wife will not go there again, as she notes it is "the armpit" of the country. She has been in east Africa 12 times, and appreciates the nicer places, when available.
gemdigital is offline  
Old Mar 1, 17, 8:50 am
  #15  
Used to be highman123
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,680
Originally Posted by gemdigital View Post

As for the note above regarding staying in Mombasa, my wife will not go there again, as she notes it is "the armpit" of the country. She has been in east Africa 12 times, and appreciates the nicer places, when available.
Agreed - the city is/seems really dangerous. But the beaches are gorgeous!
MightyTravels is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: